“Ideal rendezvous spot”

Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Silver Spring, MD
“Ideal rendezvous spot”
Reviewed October 31, 2004

I live in San Francisco and my girlfriend lives in LA. We decided to meet in Pismo for the weekend b/c it looked like a nice mid-way point. For the dollar, the Pismo Beach Hotel is hard to beat. Our room was spacious, the bed was comforable, the wood-burning (gas) stove was charming and the ocean view was excellent. My only complaint about the room was the stained carpet. The hotel is old, but the restoration and care is obvious. The brick work and the rose garden along side and behind the hotel are beautiful. The front desk wasn't overly friendly, but was efficient. Interaction was minimal. The town of Pismo is pretty interesting. Absolutely dead at night (as soon as the sun went down), but it was Oct. 30 so summer's over. The beach and pier are top notch, as our the views. We also discovered that we were only 10-15 minutes from 15 terrific vineyards. We'll definitely be back to the Pismo Beach Hotel.

11 Thank Matt&Elana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Reviewed June 25, 2004

We had a wonderful experience in this hotel. We were within walking distance of Pismo's top rated resturaunts, shops, and boardwalk.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 2, 2004

At first, I was somewhat concerned about how this hotel would match up to the more luxurious hotels in the area. But it was a lovely experience. In fact, we're staying there again this weekend by choice. It's cozy, clean, near everthing. The hotel is an older building which gives it such charm. Enjoy! We did...

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 23, 2004

Room had a stuffy smell to it, and there were no hairdryer in the bathroom. Bathroom was very small; bed was way too firm. However, it is very close to the pier and restaurants. For the price, I expected better. No a/c, just ceiling fan. Staff was friendly though.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 17, 2004

If you're passing through the central California coast area, I would recommend, from recent experience, to keep driving past Pismo Beach and stay in San Luis Obispo (about 10 miles north) instead. The Pismo Beach Hotel was in a run-down, rather scary area of town, but I'd be hard-pressed to say that there are any really nice places in Pismo Beach. There's a bar downstairs, blaring loud music and there are no nice places to eat around the hotel. The hotel's elevator is a pain to operate (old-fashioned). The rooms are bare-bones, old furniture, cave-like, and with no amenities. They say you have a fireplace, but it's just an old-fashioned wood stove. They say you have an ocean view, but the tiny windows look out on a scary town, beach shacks, loud partiers, and an infinite flow of smokers on the hotel's balcony. I'll admit, I am used to nice hotels, but I wasn't expecting much from this one and when we got there, I didn't even want to shower there! The hotel's web site looks much more appealing than it actually is in person.

If you have to stay in Pismo Beach, do yourself a favor and choose one of the Best Westerns a mile or so north, especially the Best Western Shelter Cove looked nicer. I didn't know what I was getting into when I booked our stay in Pismo - it all looked so nice on the web sites! I figured, how bad can a town on the California coast be? Well, let me tell you, it can be pretty bad. I sincerely hope this review can help other avoid the same mistakes I made by adding this city to our itinerary.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bakersfield, CA
Reviewed November 22, 2003

This is such a wonderful hotel! It is walking distance to practicly everyting. It has been restored, has a beautiful rose garden, art shop, painted murals, and a place to get a massage in the outside back area.
Inside, it is quite and clean. They have a wine tasting bar with couches and a television inside the office. It is about as close to perfect as you can get. Best of all, it is affordable.

4 Thank Terri M
Reviewed July 29, 2003

This a great place to stay in Pismo Beach!! A Historic Hotel (1937) in the heart of Pismo and 1/2 block from the beach and pier. The Hotel is refreshingly small (27 rooms) and quaint in the midst of all the 'corporate' hotels. The staff was incredibly helpful and the rooms have all been renovated within the last two years! And Incredible prices for the area and location!!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member