“Comfort and critter viewing”

Pismo Lighthouse Suites
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Santa Ana, California
“Comfort and critter viewing”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We spent two nights here on our Central Coast trip and our two-room, second floor suite at Lighthouse Suites was both immaculate and playfully decorated, with its lighthouse theme and room accessories. People, both staff and guests, very friendly. Enjoyed breakfast in the cheery Galley as well as its good selection. The big feature (true of adjacent hotels, I imagine) was the fabulous ocean view, soothing waves, dramatic view at sunset and sunrise, plus we like to critter-watch and saw lots of dolphin, sea otters, birds (of course), plus bunnies and dog walkers with various pooches as the coastal walkway connects these hotels and was below our balcony. Didn't have time for pingpong or golf putting but plan to indulge next trip.

Room Tip: Go for second floor to get best ocean views
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allene S
erikmund, General Manager at Pismo Lighthouse Suites, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
It is always nice to read that the sea life put on a good show for our guests! If you come during certain times of the year you will see whales off shore too! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. If you need any assistance with future reservations please don't hesitate to let us know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Polish first
Pocatello, Idaho, United States
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I've stayed at Spyglass, Sandcastle, Cottage Inn and SeaCrest. All are GREAT! However, I brought 5 children on this last trip. They had a blast at Lighthouse Suites! The Pool was warm and in good condition. The hot tub was TERRIBLE and 92 degrees. But, the kids enjoyed the pool, and they played in the hot tub, I just couldn't do it. There is ping pong, a huge chess set, lots of area to run around, and then there are the cliffs down by SeaCrest that they were able to go romp around. The 3rd day the area on the cliffs got flooded from runoff and King Tides, so we had to go down the beach, but that isn't in control of the hotel. And, the area is fixing that access to the beach this month, so I still recommend it.

Rooms clean. I could have brought a dog. The staff friendly. Price, meh, a bit high. But, for what we got, I was satisfied. If I go with just my kids and husband, I will get a beachfront view as those rooms wouldn't accommodate the larger family. But, if traveling with kids, go there.
Breakfast great for kids. Cereals, muffins and boiled eggs. Everyone was pretty happy. I went to the Albertson's and got kid food, used their fridge and microwave to offset the high hotel cost.

The beds are great! Very comfortable room, nice area, definitely recommend for families.

Room Tip: book ocean view. The inside views are icky. But, if you don't care about a view, all rooms nic...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your trip report of your stay here Susan. It sounds like your family had a wonderful time enjoying all of the amenaties that we have to offer. I am pleased to tell you that we have purchased and are installing a new spa heater. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you soon!
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I took my sister, who was visiting from Ohio, to Pismo Beach as one of her Christmas gifts. She loves to go along the California coast. I picked this hotel very carefully to make sure we had two beds and had a room on the ocean. I particularly did not want a bed and a sofa bed. I've never had a comfortable sofa bed. I booked this almost two months in advance. I called three times during the 72 hours before our arrival to check on some details. Each time I was asked my name and I informed staff that we were arriving on 12/28/13. No one indicated any problem with our booking to me. Imagine my surprise then when we arrived and I was calmly informed that the type of room that I had booked was no longer available. If I wanted an ocean view room one of us would have to sleep on a sofa bed and if I wanted two beds I would have to take a room on the highway away from the ocean. No one seemed concerned about our disappointment. Supposedly there is a 72 hour cancellation policy so I can't understand why this happened. They knew well in advance of our arrival that they couldn't give us the room we wanted. During one of my phone calls someone could have mentioned the problem to me to allow me to decide whether or not to go to this hotel. My sister slept poorly on the sofa bed and she ended up with bug bites after her night there. The hotel is otherwise so-so. The view is beautiful if you can manage to get an ocean front room.

3 Thank bdjwc
Santa Barbara, California, United States
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided on a last minute overnight trip up to Pismo Beach and had a recommendation from a friend to the Pismo Beach Lighthouse Suites. We found a great rate online for an ocean front King Suite and I called and booked it. They offer AAA rates which saved us some money.

Upon arrival I was happy to see the exterior of the hotel looked updated (unlike some of the other beachfront hotels in the area). We checked in and the desk clerk, (possibly the manager) was very quick and pleasant. He gave us directions to our room and informed us that a continental breakfast was included which was a bonus.

When we went to our room I was amazed. The view was absolutely incredible, on the cliffs overlooking the ocean. The room was huge with two full bathrooms and a living room with a kitchenette! The mattress was comfortable and the large jacuzzi tub was great. I didn't get a look at the other rooms but if this is any indication, they are most likely very comfortable.

The deck was nice with two chairs to relax and watch the ocean.

Overall I have nothing bad to say which is rare. It was a short trip but well worth it. Will definitely be back again and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the corner ocean front, it will take your breath away.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tiffany K
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The Pismo Lighthouse Suites were an amazing steal; so much so that I almost hate to write about it because I don't want the secret to get out. My family, my parents, and my sister & her husband each got a separate suite at the place, for what seemed like practically free for what we got (just after Christmas, on a weekend, $240/night/oceanfront room with the AAA rate).

For instance, each "room" was actually a 2 bedroom suite (we could have stayed 2 families to a room but I felt we'd all get along better in our own place:). Each of the two bedrooms were very spacious. And it wasn't until the end of the night when I realized WE HAD TWO BATHROOMS. It was an awesome set-up -- my son could sleep in one bedroom (actually the "living room" with a pull-out sofa, but a bed in each room is an option) and have a bathroom to his own, while we had our own place and didn't disturb him when he went to bed early. While this is great for families, this is also the perfect place for groups of girlfriends traveling together, etc. There's just so much room and so much "hang out" space, too.

The rooms are decorated super-cute in a nautical theme. They're a little dated (90s?), but nautical never goes out of style and for the price, it was OUTSTANDING. Very spacious master shower, I might add. The mini-kitchen with a microwave and very roomy mini-fridge was great for my family to heat up takeout and the living room was awesome to hang out, open presents, and enjoy our time together.

The rooms had an outstanding ocean view. The Lighthouse Suites, and all the rooms/hotels in Pismo, are on a tall cliff overlooking a gorgeous beach (accessible by easy stairs). My sister brought her two dogs as this place is pet-friendly, and had a tiny little yard in front of her first floor room. We had a cute little balcony. The hotel has a very adequate free breakfast every morning, a nice pool/hottub, and some fun extras: giant chess, ping pong tables, and my favorite, the badminton court -- never knew I liked it that much.

There are a million things to do in Pismo. We walked on the gorgeous beach every day, and in the spring/summer, I'm betting swimming there is awesome. We found about 40 sand dollars, which was cool. It's a short walk to the Pismo Pier and town, where you can buy amazing cinnamon rolls or clam chowder (my sister had it for breakfast). Just a short 2 mile drive south is the Monarch groves, where thousands upon thousands of Monarch butterflies migrate to spend the winter in the trees. Amazing. Nearby are some gorgeous sand dunes. All through town are many restaurant options overlooking the ocean, and don't miss the Italian market for great takeout options and sandwiches for wine country. And only 15 minutes north is the town of San Luis Obispo, and adorable walking/shopping town that is way less pretentious and cooler than Santa Barbara, in my opinion. About 20 minutes north of there is the Paso Robles wine region. I love the wines there and it's just like a mini-Napa.

I'm not sure why more people don't go to Pismo Beach, but we'll be going again. I particularly loved that this was so close to the freeway (easy access, as opposed to a place like Avila Beach), and yet you never heard or saw it from the hotel. Very much recommended!

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear people walking (it wasn't bad, but it exists), pick a top, 3rd flo...
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed January 7, 2014

After following the advice of countless reviews from this site, I did not find this hotel to be as good as many others have found it to be.

We stayed at this hotel two weeks ago, for one night and I would have to say that it was the worst night of sleep that we had on our two week road trip.

We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath suite - this is really a one bedroom suite with a bed in the living area, which means there is no couch and nowhere for you to sit except on the bed to watch TV - that's a little difficult do for a family of 4. We were on the first floor and the we found the ceiling between the 1st and 2nd floor to be as thin as paper - we could hear every step the people above us made throughout the evening, so much so, the vent cover in the ceiling rattled with every step. In addition to the noise from the second floor, the ice machine, which was directly outside of our bedroom window made a loud ice dumping noise throughout the night, waking us up with each dump.

The receptionist made the mistake of asking how our stay was and I told about her about the noise issues. She said that we should have calledl the front desk regarding the noise from the 2nd floor, but my thought was, how can you really ask your guests not to walk around their room? As for the ice machine, she said she was sorry to hear that.

They do serve breakfast here, but a very limited breakfast of a few cold items (cereal, bagel, toast). The only hot item is the waffles. The best part of our whole stay here was the coffee, which I found to be very good.

If I had to give you a comparison, I would say that other than location and the coffee, a Hampton Inn has better rooms and a better breakfast.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor and away from a ice machine.
2 Thank dmlin
Sonoma County California
Reviewed January 5, 2014

What's not to like about a two-bedroom, two-bathroom suite, with an ocean view, at a very reasonable price? Great service, beautiful location, good amenities, pleasant breakfast room, pool and hottub deck overlooking the ocean. Our family of four adults thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: We had a first floor suite on the same level as the lobby, on the north side, with a beautiful parti...
1 Thank Patcee
erikmund, General Manager at Pismo Lighthouse Suites, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
I agree with you, there really isn't anything not to like about a two-bathroom and two-bedroom suite! Thank you for the great recommendation and we hope to see you back at the Pismo Lighthouse Suites. Happy New Year!