“Two bedroom suites - great for families”

Pismo Lighthouse Suites
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Surrey
“Two bedroom suites - great for families”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel offers a great two room family suite. I can't emphasize enough how great it is to enjoy seperate bedrooms and two bathrooms. Why don't more hotels do this? Our family of four stayed here recently for two nights. In addition to its size, the rooms are comfortable. The breakfast (included) is also a great plus. It offers a variety of choices. Free Wi-Fi is offered (Yay!). The walk to the beach takes you down some steep steps. We enjoyed the short walk. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Standard rooms (one bedroom) are available with ocean view, I would request one of those. The two be...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
erikmund, General Manager at Pismo Lighthouse Suites, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
I couldn't agree more about the concept of having separate bedrooms and bathrooms. We are lucky to have this feature and are fully aware that it is a life saver for families! It sounds like you took full advantage of our amenities and made the most of your stay. We can't wait to welcome you back on your next trip to the California coast!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Polish first
California
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is kinda a weird review but I have to tell you about my experience: I called to check availability here and they were booked for the date I was interested in. The girl that I spoke with "Blair" was so nice and very helpful, I just think she was awesome in that she gave me very good information about the facilities and the area as well as info about the other hotels in this chain and I plan on definately making it to many if not all of them. What a refreshing change it is to speak with someone of this quality at a hotel, others need to follow suit cause that phone call is an important factor to the success of this business! We did go to Pismo Beach and did drive over to this hotel and it is wonderful, what a beautiful hotel. Definately one of the top hotels in the area. Blair actually made our stay in Pismo a good one even if we did'nt stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reading this definitely put a smile on my face. We have high expectations to provide the best possible customer service over the phone. I am so pleased that Blair truly did go above and beyond. This review has been passed on to her, and we have received several calls because of your comments. We absolutely cannot wait to have you stay with us!
Portola Hills, California, United States
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was a perfect spot for a long family weekend. We had a two bedroom suite that was big enough to accommodate a family of 6. The activities on the sports deck were perfect for all ages, and the view was spectacular. We will definitely be coming back, as everyone in our family, ages 10-45 loved it!

1 Thank 508KimW
Westlake Village, California
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I can't thank my fellow Trip Advisors enough for recommending the Pismo Lighthouse Suites! We are a family of four...Dad, Mom, two boys 14 and 12. What a great place for a getaway! We stayed in a partial ocean view room since those have two bedrooms, two bathrooms. It was very roomy and clean. I would have loved more of a view since there was only one small spot on the balcony where you could see the ocean, but the full ocean view rooms didn't have the second bedroom we needed. Our room faced North and I did find it stuffy. There was a heater but no A/C. It was fine in the master bedroom since we could safely sleep with only the screen door, but I didn't feel comfortable security wise leaving the kid's window open since it faced the hotel corridor so their room was pretty warm at night. They did have a ceiling fan and a regular fan in the room which definitely helped.

The kids loved the sun deck with badminton, chess, ping pong and putting greens. The beach was great! Easy access. Very wide and flat. Perfect for running and walking. Whales, sea lions and dolphins were out and about...always fun to watch. I did see a LOT of dead birds on the beach. At least a dozen, and saw one dying. I'm not sure what that was all about, but it certainly wasn't the hotels fault! During our stay, we went to the sand dunes for ATV riding, played in the tide pools at Shell Beach, went hiking and kayaking in Avila Beach. We were going to go horseback riding but ran out of time. We checked out the hot springs for future visits, but weren't that impressed.

The continental breakfast was decent...waffles and cereal. Quick and easy. No problem getting a table in the morning. My kids loved the fresh cookies in the lobby. I was a bit embarrassed at how many they went back for, but the staff didn't seem to mind. Everyone who worked there was very kind, patient and friendly. They answered our many questions, adjusted our bill for the AAA discount I forgot to ask for, and really went our of their way to make sure we were happy. Very appreciated!

As far as restaurants, we ate the first dinner at the Crab Shack which was GREAT but $$$ (of course we ordered all this amazing fresh shell fish which they pour out of a bucket onto your table, give you a hammer and let you go for it! We could have ordered more moderately.) Second dinner out was at Del's for pizza and salad...good family place. Lunch was fish tacos on Avila Beach. I wish we could have stayed longer, but had to get back for the kids to start school. We plan on visiting again over Christmas break for the Monarch butterflies (they migrate there!) Really just a perfect visit. I highly recommend the Lighthouse Suites.

Room Tip: Make sure to get on the top floor as the noise is significant on the bottom level.
California
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Good sized rooms - we stayed in a two bedroom. Even though ours was on the back side of the property (no ocean view per description) we could still spy the ocean which was awesome. The deck with the ping pong, badminton and chess are really awesome to unwind. Easy access to the beach. Somewhat smallish breakfast galley but if you time it right you can breeze through it. Excellent overall

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Wow. There is not enough positive praise I can say about the Pismo Lighthouse Suites. This is officially my favorite place to stay of all time. I booked an Oceanfront room on August 17th-18th to surprise my fiance on our 3rd anniversary. I really played it well by pretending to worry that I couldn't afford a nice place and we had to stay in this icky motel room that may have bed bugs. I even made up a cousin saying we were going to be in the area to see her. So we grabbed some chowder at Splash Cafe, and he wanted to eat it somewhere where we could see the ocean. That gave me the perfect opportunity to say, "Oh, I know of this really nice spot with a great view!" and proceeded to give him directions to PLS. I was getting really excited as I saw the sign in the distance and asked him if we could stay in one of these nice hotels when he's a pharmacist and I'm done with medical school.. He said that would be awesome :) and that's when I said, "PULL IN HERE! SURPRIIIISE! WE'RE STAYING HERE!" And at first he was just sort of underwhelmed.. Until I pointed at the ocean and he said, "DANG! NO WAY?" So I send him in to check-in as I booked everything under his name. Heh heh, so sneaky.. He never checks our bank account ;) And he came out with a huge smile and said, "Full ocean view and everything?!" and proceeded to let me know the front desk was extremely friendly and said to enjoy our stay.. as he knew I'd ask. We parked in the covered garage and proceeded to the room, up the stairs (there is also an elevator).. we were in room 3301, a corner suite on the 3rd floor. There was a cute view from the entrance of the fun games they had on the deck: mini golf, life-size chess, ping pong, etc. There were several families playing. We walked in and were pleasantly surprised at how large the room was and we raced to the balcony to take in the view. We lucked out as it was a sunny, clear day in Pismo Beach. The ocean air was sweet and the view was breathtaking. The smile on my fiances face was priceless. Even if you're on the other side of the hotel, there is a quaint view of a large pasture where you'll see cows making their way around the hill. We finally pulled ourselves away to turn our attention to the room, and were ecstatic to find another surprise awaiting us. There was a bottle of wine set on a table with two swan towels kissing! I requested a quiet room for our anniversary, but never expected this. So many thank you's! We ate our chowder on the balcony, where there were two chairs and a small table. The balcony was quite roomy for two. If there was anything I had to say the hotel could improve on in the room, it would be a fresh coat of paint over the black smudge stain on the wall and to patch up the small holes in the curtains. Otherwise, housekeeping did an amazing job. So kudos to them. We took a walk down to the beach later in the evening where we watched the sunset. It's a small and pleasant trek through the front yards of a couple other hotels to the beach. The beach was clean for the most part, although there was a dead crow and a LOT of flies near the north side of the beach. There was a little girl collecting all of the decrepit feathers and crying about how she "wanted all of them!" when her parents came to tell her not to take them. While really gross, it was still slightly funny how she was really after those feathers.. I also got pinched by a little crab that drifted onto my foot while standing in the ocean, but I can't blame the hotel for Mother Nature. We walked back to our room, I took a bath and he took a shower. I have to say I loved the separate bathrooms as I'm a bath girl and he's a shower guy. We broke open our bottle of wine and toasted to a great day at PLS. I have to say that we rested amazing that night after our 15 hour drive from NM. The bed was comfortable and the room filled with beautiful natural light in the morning. There are two iPod/iPhone docks, one in the living room and the other in the bedroom. The docks came in handy as we both have iPhones and charged our phones next to the bed. We walked down to breakfast (served 7-10am) and there was plenty to choose from. Bagels, cream cheese, jelly, muffins, danishes, fresh fruit, variety of juices, cereal, milk, waffles, boiled eggs, etc. Even at 8'clock where as most hotels have poor leftovers for the later crowd. We sat outside at a rickety table with a view of the pool. Housekeeping kept the tables clean and quickly took away dirty dishes to keep tables open. People were racing to the cliffside where some whales were spotted, so that opened a lot of room. We finished our filling breakfast and made our way over. There were around three whales in the distance and it was a sight to see! We took our time walking back to our room (dang, I sure love that 12pm checkout time!) and sat on our balcony a little while longer. We saw something else in the distance jumping around and my boyfriend (who was actually wearing his glasses) swore they were sharks.. But I declared they HAD to be DOLPHINS! So we broke out our camera and on max zoom with our stock lens, captured a dolphin! Wow! How excited were we! There were two very active dolphins making their way south down the shore. That made our morning. We were very sad and heartbroken to leave, but I know that we will be back someday.. Maybe in a month on our way up to SF we'll get lucky and our car will break down just outside of the gorgeous Pismo Lighthouse Suites. Thank you for an amazing trip. Cannot wait to return for a longer period.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor Splurge for Ocean View
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sonya B
erikmund, General Manager at Pismo Lighthouse Suites, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
It was a blast having you stay with us for your 3rd anniversary. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here. Let's do this again for your next anniversary!
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was our last minute planned trip to get away before the school season started....the resort is one of the few to cater to families, and actually states this on-line. 5 of us stayed comfortably in the 2 room, 2 bath suite with a partial view of the ocean.... loved the friendliness of the staff, and always someone visible to make sure everything was perfect! Clean heated pool and game deck for the kids, and great continental breakfast setup. Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Family friendly, but not noisy!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are thrilled that you and your family had a fantastic time here. I hope you all had fun playing on the game deck and checking out the beach. We can't wait to welcome you back!