All reviews steamers athletic club ocean view continental breakfast restaurant next door parking lot great view nice pool waffles hard boiled eggs heated pool first floor once a year sand dollars love this place favorite hotel flat screen tv
Reviewed June 2, 2006

This was our third visit to the Kon Tiki. I am still delighted with the hotel but thought I'd add a couple of things for people who read these reviews, and their expectations may be so high, they lead to disappointment.

It's a great place to stay due to a $500 view, and a $100 rate. If it were not for the view, I'd probably find the hotel in the "average" category. Little things, like the sheets being thin and limp. But the beauty, the comfortable beds, the cleanliness, and the exceptionally quiet building ... all contribute to this being a pleasant place to stay.

I've had very little need to contact the staff, but when I have they have been helpful and polite.

Stayed: April 2006
7  Thank Sooz2
Reviewed May 20, 2006

My husband I stayed at the Kon Tiki Inn for 3 nights from the 26th April. Again we booked this property because of reviews on this site but also because of a previous travellers photographs. It did not let us down, the location is perfect with wonderful views of the Pacific Ocean. Our room was on the third floor overlooking the pool and spa(s). The room was very spacious and we loved the balcony, if only the weather had been better!!!. WE had dinner one night at Steamers restaurant next door and breakfast each morning was included. Bagels, taost, cereals and fruit. Internet access downstairs in the reception area at about $6 US for 30 minutes.

We used Pismo Beach as our base for travelling up the Pacific Highway visting Hearst Castle, Solvang, Lompoc and travelled up to the Monterey County Line, also visiting San Luis Osbisbo. Managed to get some good shopping in too at some outlets close to Pismo Beach. Highly recommend this hotel, hard to beat waking up to the Pacific Ocean each morning.

16  Thank Noreen_8
Reviewed May 14, 2006

The customer is always wrong at this quaint hotel. Kon Tiki is a hotel that my husband and his family have been going to for over 30 years as a family tradition. This last visit was unfortunately our last one due to the service. They have become extremely rude and not accommodating. They make one feel as though you are lucky to be there and they could care less about you all the way from the desk clerks who are very cold, to the owner who is just as insensitive.
My sister in law was told that she would have to get two rooms for her husband and her three kids under 5. When she said the kids could not stay alone in a room the desk clerk offered the option of her husband staying in a separate room then her. She said that they were enjoying a family vacation and she would obviously not want to be spending it apart from her husband. So the desk clerk simply said he would cancel their reservations. This is just among many situations we had on our last visit. The weekend was filled with coldness from the staff. We will now be making our family traditions at another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2006
30  Thank Wanderer29975
Reviewed May 4, 2006

Overall, we were very happy with our stay here. The rate were very reasonable, especially mid week. The views from the room were great! Every room has an ocean front view. We were on the second floor which was nice with a balcony, but we were in the center. Being right over the pool area wasn't the best because there were constantly people there so we didn't get any seclusion from our balcony. In the future, we will request a 3rd floor room on the ends for more privacy. The stairway to the beach was very convenient (but tiring!). I had to carry my toddler (and all our beach stuff) down and up the stairs for a good workout.

Overall, not a 5 star hotel but very good value for an ocean view room. VERY nice staff as well. Would have liked free wireless internet access from our rooms but we could do without emails for a couple of days. Didn't get to use the athletic club, but it was a very nice feature to offer free passes to it. And the continental breakfast was basically nothing spectacular but a very decent way to start the day. We will definitely stay there again on our annual trips to Pismo and SLO.

• Stayed: May 2006
10  Thank RichardQ
Reviewed May 1, 2006

Based on the Tripadvisors reviews we booked two nights at the Kon Tiki Inn, we were allocated Room 110 which was right outside the swimming pool area, we asked to move to a room higher up as the position of this room was right next to the swimming pool which we felt would be noisy, but the hotel was full.

Overall, my first impression was disappointment. I did not think that the room was that nice as it looked like it needed decorating plus the cups in the room were made of plastic. The double patio door that leads to the swimming pool (if you are on the ground floor) did not seem that secure. The noise outside our room was very loud from people standing outside our room having conversations in the early morning (6am ish). One night I could not sleep, as I was worried about the security of the sliding door. The restaurant closed at 9:00 and there was no room service so we ended up driving around to try to find somewhere to eat. In addition, the rooms do not have any movies – so little to do in the evening. The plus points include the Jacuzzi, which stayed open until 10pm, the internet access in reception and the laundry facilities. I feel overall, this hotel was good value for money, - and it did grow on me. I think this hotel is suited to families rather than couples, and in conclusion - nothing special.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business