“Does not accomdate real families”
Review of Kon Tiki Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pismo Beach
Kon Tiki Inn
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Riverside, CA
“Does not accomdate real families”
Reviewed February 3, 2008

We have stayed at the Kon-Tiki for years- my kids grew up loving this place. They enjoyed the proximity of the beach, the wonderful pool with the ocean view, walking out of our room to the manicured lawn, and the proximity of the hotel to rest of Pismo.

We had been a family of four, but recently become a family of
5- after years of loyalty, spending literally tens of thousands of dollars between my immediate family, and the families and friends who came with us, we were informed we were no longer welcome. Our crime? Our amazing trespass? My 3 year old daughter, our "5th" person, had caused us to break their "no more than four" rule. Our reservations were canceled, and the manager called to inform us we would be kicked out if we attempted to stay again.

This is how they treat their best costumers...how will they treat you?

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Hostile Staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
25 Thank cmarkerm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
nevada
Reviewed January 30, 2008

This is a terrific spot right on the ocean with comfortable accomodations and a spectacular ocean view. Rooms are clean and spacious - you can't go wrong.

• Liked — The view
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank nevadanancy
nc
Reviewed January 20, 2008

I can't believe I stumbled onto this place! I was recently traveling on the road for biz and stayed in a different place every night for 2 weeks. I was tired of driving and just pulled into the Kon Tiki Inn. The price was $ 90 and the room was awesome! Quite large and the upper floor had a great view. Comfy bed, clean room, and I slept with the sliding patio door open to hear the waves crashing me to sleep. I had dinner at Steamers next door and that was also very enjoyable. The best chowder I've had in years! After all the flea bag places I stayed at this was a relaxing restful haven.

I was suprised to see all the renovation under way when I woke in the morning. There were many rooms undergoing a major renovation. When I checked out I commented to the owners what a great job they did on the reno in my room and that's when they told me it hadn't been renovated yet! The room was extremely clean and upkept. Everything here was perfect. The spa was hot and the the stairs down to the beach below will give you your morning exercise. Loved it!

• Liked — Large comfy room - even ahd a sofa
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank gdcom1
5pack
Reviewed January 18, 2008

This hotel may have good reviews for a "typical" family, but if you are more than a family of 4, this is not the place for you!! We have three young children and were told that we would be required to purchase two rooms to accommodate our family. They will not allow more than four people in a room with two beds, even if the baby sleeps in a playpen or in the same bed with mom and dad! If we were to have stayed, we would have been spending close to $2000.00 for the 5 days we planned! I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past (before our third child) and this hotel is not nice enough to constitute that amount of money! It is a Motel 6 with an ocean view! The decor is old, and the carpets and drapes are stained. Also, the hotel staff is incredibly rude, always has been! When we were being told about the room situation, the Manager was the most condescending man I have ever come across. He spoke to us as if we were children. Due to our experience, I have been able to convince five family members to avoid this hotel (which is an annual trip for all of us). This hotel staff has convinced themselves that the customer is insignificant, and that we should consider ourselves lucky to be staying there.
Hopefully this review helps. There are plenty of nicer hotels in Pismo Beach that I know will accommodate families of 5 without trying to swindle more money from its customers!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
18 Thank 5pack
Edinburgh
Reviewed November 20, 2007

Simply put, I think you will struggle to find a hotel that gives you more perfect views than the Kon Tiki. We used this hotel for a single night on our road trip from LA to San Francisco and it was exactly what we needed - cheap and clean.

The hotel itself is........ fine. It is clean, has a swimming pool and friendly staff. Nothing brilliant about the rooms. Except the views!! The hotel is right on the beach and all the balconies face the sea. And the sea is where the sun goes down. You have never seen anything like it - magnificent.

The only downside with our trip to Pismo Beach was with the town itself. Maybe it was the time of year we were visiting, but when we went out for a bite to eat (albeit at 9pm!) the place was dead and all the restaurants were shut. We ended up eating in a slightly run down diner on the main street - probably our worst meal in the US. Even the bars were shut!

In September, I'd stay at this hotel for a night or two, simply to experience the views (and to walk along the beach in the morning). More than that and the evenings could be a bit boring after sunset.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Pismo Beach itself
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank igm
New Jersey
Reviewed October 26, 2007

This hotel is great, and inexpensive too. We even lucked out and had 2 completely clear days. The rooms are clean and large. The bathroom comfortable. Even the breakfast was good. The location can't be beat. I ran on the beach one day and on the road to Shell Beach the next. My wife loved the health club. We just spent 10 days in Southern California and this was our favorite hotel.

• Liked — Everything. It's a great value
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank ronjohn140
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 6, 2007

The hotel is fine--clean, friendly service, adequate breakfast. But it's really all about the balcony view. Listening to the hypnotic surf and watching the sun go down from your balcony is about as relaxing as it gets. We were there in late September and it was warm and sunny but no crowds.

Pismo Beach itself wasn't that interesting. I preferred Morro Bay and Cambria as towns. But you couldn't beat the combination of price and view at this hotel.

• Liked — Balcony view
  • Disliked — Paper-thin towels
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple