All reviewssteamersathletic clubocean viewcontinental breakfastrestaurant next doorparking lotgreat viewnice poolwaffleshard boiled eggsheated poolonce a yearhear the waves crashingsand dollarsfirst floorlove this placeflat screen tv
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Our family vacations here every year and has the best time! It's like being in Hawaii without having to fly there... ocean view from every room! Wonderful pool and perfect for our kids. A short but steep walk down to the sand and you've got it all. Each room has a refrigerator, we brought a small microwave along last time because of the kids and the baby. Otherwise they had everything we needed. We're on the countdown to our next trip and our kids are packing their bags!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Lowla
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The Kon Tiki is an older property but outstandingly well maintained over the years. A 2nd floor room with a balcony has an outstanding view of the pool, grass area and the Pacific. As you walk out onto your balacony, it's like "Wow! What a view.

The rooms are well maintained with a flat screen TV and just adequate square footage. But for a weekend getaway, the room space is fine. The balcony makes up for lack of room space.

Steamers resturant is also a part of the properties main area and just a quick walk from your room. Great food and drinks (expensive of course as is most of Pismo) and a great wait staff to greet you when you first walk in.

Overall, for a weekend getaway to the central coast, a great place to HQ for your stay.

Room Tip: Choose any room on the 2nd or 3rd floors for the best views.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LakersFan1954
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Every room has an ocean view and the hotel is located a short walk along the beach to the main area in Pismo (if you can get up/down the steps). We stayed in a 4th floor room that comes with a gas fireplace - nice romantic touch! Clean, inexpensive rooms (less than $200 per night on the weekends) include a full gym if you are so inclined to exercise on your vacation and a standard continental breakfast make this one of our favorites on the Central Coast. There are two hot tubs, one pool, and a grassy area to enjoy outside. The bathroom is pretty small, but there is a second sink outside the bathroom. The bathroom only has soap and shampoo, so bring your own lotion and conditioner and anything else you might expect to find complimentary. There is no "Do Not Disturb" sign for the doors so if you stay late in your room the maid will come knocking. There is nothing I enjoy more than sitting on the balcony, drinking a glass of wine, listening to the ocean - this is a great place to do it!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LovetoScuba
Reviewed May 6, 2012

The pictures do not lie! Every room has a terrific view. Room was clean and we both slept well. What more can you ask for? Pool was a bit cold, but hot tubs were nice. Wi fi was a little shakey on the 3rd floor. Steamers had a good happy hour, try the green beans tempura. Dinner was good, although service started slow, it did improve! Food was your basic fish house stuff. Take a walk on the beach, it is wonderful. Access was easy but if you can not climb lots of stairs, try walking down to the wharf, and taking the street back. It's easier!. Collect sand dollars and sea shells. Your kids would love the gentle ocean break. Stayed here when I was a kid, and my parents keep coming back. great value and the people working here are nice!

Room Tip: 4th floor has 4 rooms with fireplaces. The views are better the higher you go. First floor great if you have kids that need to run around
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I LOVED this place so much I stayed twice in one week - on my way to LA and then on my way back home to SF.

Here are some selling points:

-GORGEOUS view of the ocean - you can literally hear the waves crash as they lull you to sleep and watch them from your bed out the big glass door.

- VERY VERY clean - I was so impressed with what a spotless motel this is.

- Completely economic! I got an ocean view for $120, complete with a full gym, jacuzzi and breakfast?

- The staff is so courteous and friendly - absolutely terrific.

- The rooms are very private - I did not hear ANYONE from my room, and I am a light sleeper! Each room has its own patio overlooking the ocean and you can't see the other guests because there are dividers, so it's pretty special.

- I was also impressed with the guests - both times I stayed there, everyone was really friendly but quiet and courteous too...all really appreciative of the beautiful ocean view - a nice bunch of folks.

Other comments:

-This hotel is not a resort - it's a gorgeous, friendly little motel for hard-working people to get to relax on the ocean. I was so relieved to be among grateful blue-collar folks instead of all the surly hipsters from my area of SF.

- Some others have commented on the furniture - which is kind of a retro faux Hawaiian basic light wood kind of thing. Yeah, it's a bit dated, but for the price of an ocean view - who cares! You'll spend all your time looking at the ocean anyway, not the furniture.

- The only small negative might have been that on the first stay, my mattress was a little soft....but the second stay had a much better mattress....and even so, it was comfy, so no big deal.

-"Steamers" - the restaurant adjacent isn't all that great - but the little place down by the pier that serves clam chowder, onion rings, etc. is just fine and really reasonably priced too.

I would highly highly recommend this.

Room Tip: I think being on the second or third floor is the best 'cause you'll have the most privacy. I had a back injury and asked the staff if they could carry my bag to and from the car and they were sooooo nice about that, completely accommodating.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo