“Great experience!”

Pismo Beach Surf Shop
Ranked #3 of 8 Tours in Pismo Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Kayak Tours of Pismo Beach, Shell Beach, Avila Beach and Morro Bay along with Surf Lessons and Rentals since 1962. Pismo Beach Surf Shop began in 1962 and has a great old surfing history. We are all about the Ocean from kayaking, Surfing, Sucba Diving and SUP surfing.We specialize in surfboards, Kayak Tours of the Central Coast and SUP and Surfing Lessons. Our kayak Tours of the Caves in Pismo are an exciting adventure for all ages. We get excited about Kayaking Pismo beach and Shell Beach with our customers.
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stopped by the shop, and Bill had us out kayaking within the hour!
Wet suits, footies, life jackets, helmets, and a wonderful DVD of our excursion was all provided!
Well worth the time and money to enjoy the coast, caves and sea life of Pismo Beach!
Thanks again Bill!

"kayaking experience"
"great adventure"
"next morning"

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I contacted the shop when I moved to Pismo Beach so I could learn how to stand up paddleboard. I scheduled a lesson with Bill, the shop owner, for a Tuesday morning at 7am. We paddled throughout Shell Beach and saw tons of wildlife. Loved it and was hooked.

All the guys at the shop are incredibly knowledgable in their own regards. Bill knows everything about diving and hires great guys that know a ton about surfing and kayaking.

But the real gem of the shop is Gidget. She owns the joint.

1  Thank cohi
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and I went out with Bill , the owner of Pismo Beach Surf Shop and Ryan this morning. What a great experience! We were outfitted with wet suits, paddles and safety gear and then guided on a fabulous tour of the Shell Beach coastline. We saw plenty of seals and otters in the kelp beds and dolphins out a little farther. We made a beach landing to hunt for sea glass and navigated through an awesome sea cave. Bill made us feel very safe and comfortable in the water. Definitely a must do in Pismo!!! Thanks Bill!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Pismo Beach was a great morning for me and my husband and my two children aged 9 and 8. The two activities are surfing and kayaking. The kayaking is done in groups, our group had at least 6 or 7 people in it. You learn how to kayak properly through caves with strong currents and big waves. The surfing which my sons did with Tom was very exciting to watch and very exciting for them. These activities take place just around the surf shop.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My nine year old grandson (from Tennessee) was with me for a week and I wanted him to experience the best the Central Coast has to offer. For me kayaking the shell beach cliffs is high on that list. When I researched the rental shops Bill's place was the only one that would allow a nine year old so I made a reservation. I've kayaked about a dozen times and was planning on going out on our own but Bill talked me into signing up for a guided trip and I'm glad I did (more on that later).

Bill had us show up at his shop at 7:00am and provided half wetsuits and booties. After suiting up we followed him and his assistant over to 1000 steps at shell beach where we got the kayaks down to the waters edge. Bill showed us a little about paddling and launched us into a quiet, glassy ocean with ease. There were also two younger couples on the tour and when all were afloat Bill gave us our first task - maneuvering through a narrow gap between two large rocks. There was a decent swell and current however it took very little effort to navigate the gap and all three client kayaks passed with ease.

Then we made our way to the first cave and Bill went inside a relatively large entrance. There was a smaller entrance to the cave and he suggested we come in the large entrance, make a hard left turn and paddle out the small one. My grandson and I were nearest the cave so in we go. As we made the left turn and headed for the exit a small wave (~ 2 ft) was approaching so I started paddling hard. We crested the wave just as we exited the cave and easily slid down the backside into quiet water. My grandson turned around and had the biggest grin on his face. What fun! I never would have done the caves in a tandem with my grandson (even though he is a strong swimmer for his age) without the safety net provided by two experienced guides within easy rescue distance. I know had one or both of us fallen in they would have been there in seconds.

We went on to do a number of other caves, beach landings and even surfed a small wave in, all safe under the watchful eyes and tutelage of the guides. Followed by seals and in some special paradise while hidden by the cliffs from the hustle and noise just above I knew this was going to be an adventure my grandson would remember for a long time.