“hope you like accordion music”
Review of Giuseppe's Cucina Italiana - CLOSED

Giuseppe's Cucina Italiana
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Giuseppe’s Cucina Italiana was founded in 1988 by Giuseppe DiFronzo as a senior project upon graduation from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Joe, “Giuseppe”, is a son of Italian immigrants who along with the majority of their family emigrated from Bari, Puglia. Puglia is the heel of the boot region of Italy, otherwise known as the California of Italy.Joe grew up in Southern California where he learned his craft working for his four uncles who all owned Italian Delicatessens and bakeries. After fishing in Alaska on a crab boat upon graduation from Cal Poly, Joe returned to Pismo Beach and started his first 8-table restaurant in the old Landmark Hotel in Pismo. Three years later he moved to the historic Plessas Tavern, a Pismo landmark since 1921. This institution fed the likes of Eleanor Roosevelt, Bob Hope, Clark Gable, and many dignitaries and stars traveling between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Locals were thrilled to see the eatery reopen and thrive for the last 24 years! Today Giuseppe’s boasts an Italian deli and bakery across the street at 800 Price Street as well. Giuseppe also opened a sister restaurant in 2005 in downtown San Luis Obispo named “Palazzo Giuseppe.” Giuseppe spends his pastime cultivating his family farm from which he produces his 15 year old “DiFronzo Vineyards” wines, featured in his eateries. In addition to wine, he grows, cooks, and serves his organic heirloom fruits, vegetables, and herbs with pride and confidence.
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“hope you like accordion music”
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Great service, fast and courteous. Place gets full quickly (by 7pm) on the friday we went.
Food is fine but a little on the expensive side compared with other resorts we've been to.

Buttonwillow, California
“Mangiano bene!!!”
Reviewed May 16, 2010

This place is one of my regular stops in Pismo. They have great food, great bar and great atmosphere. The owner is often on-site keeping an eye on things, too. The wine list is extraordinarily well selected. My favorites - lamb medallion 'lolli pops', butternut squash raviolis and Gattinara red wine from Italy. Giuseppe's ROCKS!

Oh, and if you're looking for dinner in Pismo after 9:00 pm, this is one of the few places where you can get it.

1 Thank HotelMike
Oxford, PA
“Food Great, Service and Atmosphere Stinks!”
Reviewed April 22, 2010

Four of us travelling together went here on a Thursday night (4/22/10) and got some pretty good food. The one exception was my brother in law got a special (Burrata Besciamell) that was more like an appetizer in size. The rest of us donated some of ours to make up the difference. The next table over was doing the same thing for one in their party. That brings me to the next part, the tables are SOOO crowded that you cannot have an even semi-private conversation or walk without being in someones face. Our Server, Rogina, only did the minimum required. After our food was served, she never even offered Parmesan cheese! She walked right by us to the next table and took care of them. We were so frustrated, we did not even ask. On a $66 bill, I left a 6 dollar tip and should not even left that much. All in all, I would say find another place!

1 Thank wyatterp5859
Fountain Valley, CA
“Skip this & head to Rosa's down the street”
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I'd heard a lot of good things about Guiseppe's and gave it a try. Ambiance, white tablecloths nice, but I was seated so close to the table next to me it was all I could do to NOT partake in their conversation. (I was seated as a solo diner.) Bread & garlic/ cheese/ balsamic/ olive oil dipping sauce exquisite. House salad, not so much: butter lettuce with a crumbled chese, balsamic dressing. Period. Some cranberries and/ or walnuts would have been a VERY welcome addition to this salad and to be honest, expected. For the entree I ordered "Capellini Con Capesante E Gamberoni shrimp & scallops in vodka, pancetta, garlic & cream sauce." Impressive title, but had I any guts would have sent it back. Overwhelming bacon flavor from the pancetta with absolutley no hint of garlic or vodka sauce to be found. The whole plate was dry, begging for sauce. The shrimp was overcooked (rubbery) but the fifty-cent sized scallops done right, nice and tender. All in all, a very unsatisfying experience and won't go back.

1 Thank Boester
Los Angeles
“Great food but beware of the wine list”
Reviewed March 22, 2010

The food was really good, although they ran out of the Halibut at 7:00 in the evening (which two of us wanted). I guess it must have bee really popular. Our big grip was the wine list. We ordered a bottle of Justin wine, which we saw on the menu. What we didn't see in very small print was "half bottles". The wine we ordered came in half and full bottles so when we looked at the price of $50, we didn't see we were looking under half bottles. The waiter should know that some wines come in half bottles and full bottles and ask you if you want half or full for double the price. I didn't want a $100 bottle of wine, I wanted a $50 bottle of wine. I guess I am not savvy enough to know how much Justin costs. When we called the next day to speak with a manager, there was no manager working at the time. The woman that answered the phone literally said, "oh yeah, that happens a lot". Well if it happens a lot then the servers need better training.