“Best Authentic Italian Food Restaurant in Pismo Beach area”
Review of Giuseppe's Cucina Italiana - CLOSED

Giuseppe's Cucina Italiana
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Giuseppe’s Cucina Italiana was founded in 1988 by Giuseppe DiFronzo as a senior project upon graduation from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Joe, “Giuseppe”, is a son of Italian immigrants who along with the majority of their family emigrated from Bari, Puglia. Puglia is the heel of the boot region of Italy, otherwise known as the California of Italy.Joe grew up in Southern California where he learned his craft working for his four uncles who all owned Italian Delicatessens and bakeries. After fishing in Alaska on a crab boat upon graduation from Cal Poly, Joe returned to Pismo Beach and started his first 8-table restaurant in the old Landmark Hotel in Pismo. Three years later he moved to the historic Plessas Tavern, a Pismo landmark since 1921. This institution fed the likes of Eleanor Roosevelt, Bob Hope, Clark Gable, and many dignitaries and stars traveling between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Locals were thrilled to see the eatery reopen and thrive for the last 24 years! Today Giuseppe’s boasts an Italian deli and bakery across the street at 800 Price Street as well. Giuseppe also opened a sister restaurant in 2005 in downtown San Luis Obispo named “Palazzo Giuseppe.” Giuseppe spends his pastime cultivating his family farm from which he produces his 15 year old “DiFronzo Vineyards” wines, featured in his eateries. In addition to wine, he grows, cooks, and serves his organic heirloom fruits, vegetables, and herbs with pride and confidence.
Reviewed December 8, 2009

I just returned from Pismo Beach. My sister and I ALWAYS go to this restaurant. We ate there twice in our 5 day stay for lunch. The selection and specials allow you to choose from meats, seafood, pastas, pizzas, salads, wines by the glass/bottle, appetizers, desserts. I ate the special, a sweet creamy pea soup and lamb lollipops on a Mediterranean mixed greens salad with aiola and reduced balsalmic dips. My sister ordered her fave, an wood-fired oven margaritte pizza with a goat cheese,glazed pear, candied pecan salad. The second lunch we had the house special of eggplant parmesan with rigatoni. All were 5-star. We are Italian by descent. Next time, the braciolle. .....

Reviewed November 30, 2009

I am and Italian from New Jersey and I can tell you that the majority of California's Italian restaurants are not authentic and the pizza would not even be touched by most east coasters. However my husband and I discovered Giuseppe's on one of our many trips to Pismo Beach and this place is authentic! The pizza is made the way pizza should be and tastes just like the pizza you would get in NY or NJ. The sandwiches are phenomenal as is anything you order. Don't miss an opportunity to try some of the best Italian food on the West Coast!!

Reviewed November 16, 2009

pretty good food,,,i ordered a pizzia to go ,,,an waited in the bar,,,i didnt tip the bartender and he yelled and threw my change at me,,,,,VERY LOW RENT....go to steamers instead they rock!!!!!!

Reviewed November 10, 2009

My wife and I recently celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary by taking a quick trip up the coast from our home in Ojai to Pismo Beach. We didn't have a lot of time and could only get away for an overnight. After nosing around town during the daylight hours we decided to dine at Guiseppe's. We debated whether or not we should get reservations and decided not to, chancing that we could 'drop in' and be seated. We arrived promptly at 8 pm and were told there would be an hour wait. We had no agenda so we sat outside on the wooden benches and 'people-watched' to kill the time. We struck up a conversation with a young couple who had just moved to California from Colorado and the time flew by.
After about an hour we checked on our spot on the list and were told it would be about 15 more minutes...not an issue really as we were enjoying the evening and the antics of the passersby.
Once we were seated inside our server was very attentive. We explained that it was our anniversary and he was quite helpful in describing the specials. I ordered drinks for the two of us and my wife was a little dismayed to see that I had ordered her a gin cocktail as she's not a fan, however when it arrived and she tried it she was very pleased - it was made well and expertly.
Unfortunately, because we were in the later seating, they had run out of the butternut squash pasta that was on special but I opted for the other special, a lamb tenderloin with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. It was cooked to my liking and tasty. I'd never had a lamb tenderloin and thought it quite good. My wife and I both remarked that they must favor lamb dishes as it seemed the veal and lamb were featured prominently on the menu.
We ended our meal with after-dinner drinks (port and cognac) and strong coffee. I thought it was reasonable for two entrees, drinks, after-dinner drinks and dessert at just $120.
For those of you familiar with the Palace Grill in Santa Barbara, we thought the ambiance and overall atmosphere of Guiseppe's was similar. We liked it a lot and would return.

Reviewed October 27, 2009

A collegue and I dined here at the recommendation of a former resident of the area. The dish he had recommended is called the "Lover's Plate" (bacon-wrapped shrimp with butternut squash ravioli). I won't deny that it was delicious, but after seeing generous portions of other menu items on the other customers' plates, I was shocked and upset when mine was brought out. For $24 there was less food on my plate than a small appetizer -- 4 small shrimp, 2 small raviolis, and about 5 snow peas. 10 points for presentation but, after spending $70 for dinner for two, one shouldn't have to leave a restaurant still hungry. I am not a large person and do not typically eat "super-size" meals but, come on! I would still recommend Giuseppe's but would suggest ordering something else. For the price, the Lover's Plate is a rip-off.