“Excellent Italian”
Review of Giuseppe's Cucina Italiana - CLOSED

Giuseppe's Cucina Italiana
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Giuseppe’s Cucina Italiana was founded in 1988 by Giuseppe DiFronzo as a senior project upon graduation from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Joe, “Giuseppe”, is a son of Italian immigrants who along with the majority of their family emigrated from Bari, Puglia. Puglia is the heel of the boot region of Italy, otherwise known as the California of Italy.Joe grew up in Southern California where he learned his craft working for his four uncles who all owned Italian Delicatessens and bakeries. After fishing in Alaska on a crab boat upon graduation from Cal Poly, Joe returned to Pismo Beach and started his first 8-table restaurant in the old Landmark Hotel in Pismo. Three years later he moved to the historic Plessas Tavern, a Pismo landmark since 1921. This institution fed the likes of Eleanor Roosevelt, Bob Hope, Clark Gable, and many dignitaries and stars traveling between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Locals were thrilled to see the eatery reopen and thrive for the last 24 years! Today Giuseppe’s boasts an Italian deli and bakery across the street at 800 Price Street as well. Giuseppe also opened a sister restaurant in 2005 in downtown San Luis Obispo named “Palazzo Giuseppe.” Giuseppe spends his pastime cultivating his family farm from which he produces his 15 year old “DiFronzo Vineyards” wines, featured in his eateries. In addition to wine, he grows, cooks, and serves his organic heirloom fruits, vegetables, and herbs with pride and confidence.
Reviewed May 22, 2005

The fort-five minute wait to get into what was obviously one of the more popular local dining spots was certainly well worth it. The wine list offers a fairly comprehensive list of Central Coast delights to accompany their extremely flavorful array of Italian dishes. You have all your usual suspects on the menu with Southern Italian cuisine dominating over the more hearty Northern offerings. We had the Cavatelli which was sublimely spicy but not overly so. The salads are perfectly portioned starters to your meal and we highly reccomend the Insalata di Spinacci. The deserts looked like they were all very mouth watering. The service was good with very polite servers and the overall ambience was a nice blend of Italian coziness and beach side relaxation. A must try if you're in town.

1  Thank SoCalMarc

Reviewed January 4, 2005

After reading the reviews here you would think this was not a place to go. You would be wrong. We took a look in the afternoon and decided to give it a try. The spinich salad was to die for and the rest of the meal was equally good. The service was impeccable and the whole experience was very enjoyable. We thought it was great.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Arroyo Grande, CA
Reviewed September 16, 2004

This evening, my girlfriend and I were eating at one of our favorite local restaurants, Giuseppe's in Pismo Beach. Giussepe, the owner, was in the restaurant, as he often is when we've been there before. We ordered an appetizer. During the course, my girlfriend took something out of her mouth that she was unable to chew. Upon inspection, we found it to be a used Band-aid. Needless to say, my girlfriend was horrified and very upset. The waiter told us that Giussepe was in the restaurant and we were led to believe he would come and talk to us about the incident. When no one returned, I went to the waiter and asked him if we would be able to speak to Giuseppe and I was told, "He's busy entertaining friends." We are at a loss as to what is more disconcerting: the owner's contempt or the fact that my girlfriend has been potentially exposed to a bloodborne pathogen because of carelessness and blatant disregard for basic sanitary measures. We are appalled at the lack of professionalism demonstrated tonight as any decent business owner would have at least offered a sincere apology. The entire incident was the most disgusting things either of us have ever experienced in our lives.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 30, 2004

Kinda pricey for what you get...My husband and I arrived late saturday night and this place was one of the only places still open??? We had a wonderful server..but I think they should ask you up front what you in the mood for..they start making suggestions and talk forever without ever asking you up what your tastes are kinda pushy.. We only wanted some wine something small. We ordered squash flowers stuffed with cheese with marinara suace and ahi tuna. The squash was so good but there we only two on the plate, and the ahi tuna was raw...the waiter failed to mention that to me..I couldn't eat it it tasted like a can of tuna..I love sushi but I don't like raw tuna..anyways I would pass this place for dining in and go pay half price for thier take out buisiness down the street!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2004

ate there twice - got queue-jumped first evening [ or the maitresse-d forgot us...] but next day got a specially good table in compensation. generous portions, cheerful staff.

2  Thank BobHarvey