“POOL/SPA UPDATE”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pioneer
Napa, California
“POOL/SPA UPDATE”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I am planning to stay at the lodge (5th year in a row) on 9/3 and 9/4/12 for a golf outing. I was disappointed to find no one on the phones before 1:00pm on Tues, Wed, Thurs.
The pool and spa are still shut down (today is 7/12/12). It has been out of service since at least Jan. of 2012. They have no specific date as to when it will be operational.
I had called ot make sure my reservation was all in order and it was. April at the desk was very nice and explained about the pool and spa. It's too bad about the pool and spa because they are the best part of the lodge. The pool area is quiet, scenic and relaxing. I will say the rates are still reasonable (about $70 per night), the rooms are a bit thread bare, but adequate, coffee makers are nice, it's generally quiet, especially at night. Cell reception is sketchy, free wi fi is nice. The restaurant is a hit or miss. Sometimes it's open, other times not. Best to call an check as eateries are not plentiful in the area.

I plan to stay there again in Sept. IF the pool & spa are working. Otherwise, I will make new arrangements.

Room Tip: Call ahead to check on pool and spa.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Rick L, Manager at Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 17, 2016
Dear Valued Guest,

I know that's a little too late in the day to respond to your review but I still wanted to reach out to you.
This inn has struggled over the years but the good news is that the property is now under new ownership and management. We are working very hard to improve things on all counts.
Also, as you are an avid golfer, you maybe aware that the Mace Meadows Golf Club closed down last year. But the good news is that is has recently been sold and the new owners have big plans of reviving the golf course.
Hope you come back for a future golf outing and give us another try.

Rick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Seaside, California
Reviewed May 26, 2012

It was barely ok. The pool does not work nor look like it has been in use for years. Very quiet, reasonably priced and secluded. Everything else was booked so beggers can't be choosers. I would not return though.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Your feedback is so right. I am aware the property had fallen on very tough times over the years.
But I wanted to drop in a line to say hello and also share with you that the inn is now under new ownership and management.
We are working very hard to improve things everyday. The pool and spa has been repaired and guests are loving it this summer.
If you are ever in the area, hope you will give us another try and see all the new changes.

San Leandro, California
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I have been going here for a number of years now and my last visit was very poor. This was in the fall on 2011. I made reservations and asked about the conditions of the pool and hot tubs, as the outdoor environment with those amenities is what I really enjoy the most. I was told that everything was fine the week of my stay. Drove up to stay a few days for a mini vacation... drove for 3 hours, so looking forward to it. Got there and was told the room I had booked was booked by somebody else the next day. Being that I have been there a number of times, I KNOW I booked the right room, and that they made the mistake. Okay... we got past that as the lady that was helping me was gracious enough to let us have the right room. However, when I mentioned how much I jus wanted to get unloaded and get in the pool and hot tub, she notified me that the hot tub had broken down a couple of days before and was not working. She apologized (she works there only a couple of days a week) and said there was nothing she could do. I then dealt with the managers, who both had a crappy attitude towards the customers. I explained that they should have called me and let me know that things were broken down... just a common courtesy to customers. All I got from them was attitude.. With noplace else near, we decided to stay by a day by day basis. After unloading, I went to the pool, which is usually heated and clean. Walked up to it and it was filthy and put my foot in and Brrrrrr.. it was freezing. There was no way I was getting in it, even if it was heated because it was dirty. Called the manager and spoke my peace with them and if they were going to clean it up and heat it. More attitude and nothing was really done during the two days I was there. We left a day early as there was no point in staying. I wrote a letter to the owner, explaining my huge disappointment. The attitude by the hispanic gals who said they were managent. And I asked him that if I were to come back, I would appreciate some sort of discount for my next visit. I also asked him to please respond back, either email or via USPS. I never received any response from him. And it was HIM who I had made the initial reservation with.. an Asain man.
If you are interested in going there, I would suggest to call them before you leave and make sure everything you expect to be right, IS right, because the term "customer service" doesn't go too far with either management or ownership. The gal who initially helped me at the counter was a doll.... nice older woman who went out of her way to do what she could for us the day she was there.. she was busting her butt around there. Not much help for her.. I actually felt bad for her... but was greatful for the help she gave us. They need more people like her, infact, she should be the manager, not the other gals with their poor attitudes.... I have to also say that walking around the premises, I see that it is litterally falling apart, Splinters sticking up on the stairs (no bare feet recommended), nails and screws also sticking up out of the starirs and balconies

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KBS60
Dear Valued Guest,

I can only imagine what a bad experience you had at our inn as you described in your detailed feedback.
I know its been a long time ago but I still wanted to drop in a line and apologize for your bad experience.
The property is now under new ownership and management and we are working hard to make things better.
If you are ever back in the area, I would like to offer you a complimentary stay. Please respond back and let me know if you plan to visit the area anytime soon. We will make it upto you, even though it took us 4 years to do that.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed here for several weeks while working on a project nearby. As it was for business I was offered a reduced corporate rate from the already reasonable regular rate. The discount is well appreciated. It's conveniently located for anyone working between Jackson and the High Sierra. Groceries, restaurants, fuel, grog, and even hardware stores are all nearby but those amenities begin to disappear as you gain elevation while entering some fantastic outdoor recreational areas. That makes it ideally situated for an outdoor "basecamp" or "home away from home" while working in the area. And, if you stay four nights you get a fifth night free, I intend to use it for an overnight while skiing Kirkwood or day hiking in the nearby mountains. I found the rooms to be quite, clean, and the views of the adjoining pine forest relaxing. I particularly enjoyed the pool because it was just big enough to actually swim laps after work although it's about 11 to 13 strokes across, and I typically had it all to myself.

Room Tip: Room 225 has a raised ceiling that permits some rather large windows on the east wall. They are elev...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. I apologize that it took us so long to respond back to you.
The property is now under new ownership and management and we are striving to make things better everyday.
Hope you come back and stay with us sometime soon.

California
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Best bang for the buck in the area!

Great location on Hwy. 88 in Pioneer, California. The rooms are situated away from the road and so it was very quiet. A serene sitting with mature landscaping, a clean pool and hot spa. The rooms have either a small patio or balcony with table and chairs and face the woods (away from the road) and are equipped with in room coffee, hair dryer, microwave, rerigerator, TV, etc. They are large rooms with large restrooms. The rooms were very clean. Our beds were firm so we appreciated that.

New manager, Michaela, is great at making you feel welcome and is eager to please. Also motorcycle friendly!

Across the parking lot is a bakery/deli as well as a tavern that has burgers, etc.

If there's a down side to this place it would be that cell reception is sketchy (provider didn't seem to matter with our group.....it was the same for all of us). At times we could get reception in the parking lot, at other times we could not.

Room Tip: I've stayed here several times over the years and each room had a feature unique to the other...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

We so appreciate all your comments. Yes, we are still open for business and working hard to make things better everyday.
But one thing still hasn't changed - cell phone reception is very sketchy even now. But I heard that Verizon is putting a cell phone tower in the area. Hope that will change things.
Please come back and stay with us if you're ever in the area. We will be delighted to see you.

Concord, California
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Clean, nice room. Price was good, staff great. We came to this hotel late at night in need. My wife was very ill with a severe migraine, and the hotel manager come down and opened the office after hours so that we could stay. Her generosity was a life saver. We will happily stay there again the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark B
Dear Valued Guest,

My apologies for the belated reply. But I'm so glad to hear that the staff of the inn helped you get a room late at night.
That philosophy hasn't changed - we still try our best to help our guests in whatever way we can.
Please come back and stay with us whenever you are in the area.

San Leandro, California
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I have stay here on a regular basis when visiting friends in the area.I have read the reviews that others wrote... cell phone service??? YOU'RE IN THE COUNTRY, for crying out loud... what idiot would expect cell phone service in the mountains ? I suppose camping to that person would include the means to blow-dry your hair as well......lol The water pressure in the showers does lack something to be desired, as does the water temp, but it isnt all that bad.I always stay in the same room (large ones in the back.. highly recommended) and love the peacefullness,view, easy access out your back door to the heated pool and hot tub.. very close.Microwave,nice bed,TV... all nice.
The people in the office are informative, personable and helpful All in all, a nice peaceful place to stay and I would recommend to anyone. ENJOY !!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review. i apologize that it took us a while to get back to you.
Yes, everything is still nice at the property but I hear that Verizon is installing a cell phone tower nearly and hopefully we will have better cell phone reception very soon.
Hope you come back and stay with us again whenever you are in the area.

Rick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pioneer
The Historic Hotel Leger
Hotel Sutter
Hotel Sutter
#2 of 2 in Sutter Creek
Mountain Retreat Resort

Been to Pioneer Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!