“Please Trim The Steaks”

Black Station Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Pioneer
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Description: Comfortable family restaurant. Fireplace dinning. Set back in the trees...
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Pioneer needs a good restaurant, but sadly, I don't think this is it. The menu is limited, which is O.K., and the service is friendly - which is great, but I really didn't appreciate the decor or the quality of the food.

I had the 8 oz. rib eye steak dinner, which comes with soup, salad, a baked potato (or rice), vegetables, and ice cream. The clam chowder was pretty good, but the quality of the meal went downhill after that. The salad was O.K., but when the entree came I was really disappointed. The steak had a huge amount of fat that included a large glob of pure fat at one end of my steak that was at least 2 inches in diameter in addition to the fat surrounding the meat. The glob could have easily been trimmed off, as it was dangling from the end of the steak and was not an integral part of the cut. It was disgusting. I'd estimate that of my 8 oz. portion, 3 or 4 oz. of it was fat. I also found the steak to be way, way too chewy. It is advertised as prime cut, so I expected it to be tender. My husband had the same amount of fat on his steak and complained that his was too chewy, as well.

For dessert we had our choice of vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Our ice cream had ice crystals in it and was of average quality. I don't mind limited choices, but I want the selections to be of excellent - or at least good - quality.

Don't think we'll be back - which is sad, since we're hankering for a truly good restaurant in Pioneer.

2  Thank NevermindCA
Craig F, Owner at Black Station Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2017

As new owners you will find the steaks, both the NY strip and Ribeye, trimmed to your liking now. Please come back in and try the new Black Station Inn...

There are newer reviews for Black Station Restaurant

Reviewed June 24, 2012

While the menu is very limited, mostly steaks, set menu, this place is well worth the drive. All of the dinners come with a nice salad, the soup of the day, you entree with potato and fresh vegetables, and a scoop of ice cream for dessert. We went here with friends and were delighted with our steaks. We each had a different cut/size/rareness of steak. The steaks all arrived at the table hot, juicy and cooked to perfection. The service was very friendly and aimed to please. The only thing lacking is a better stocked bar and wine list. Knowing that these are the same folks that run Cooks Station, I am sure that things will only get better with time!

1  Thank RLRaceGirl