“Bay Area's best kept secret-ski resort only 2 hour 45 min away”
Review of Dodge Ridge

Dodge Ridge
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Pinecrest
More attraction details
Owner description: Eight-hundred-acre ski area boasts terrain for all ages and abilities.
Reviewed February 22, 2016

Depending on where you live in the bay area, I am sure this is the closest place to get some snow and skiiing. Its a great little ski place and perhaps the best for kids to learn and get their first experience with skiing. They have some WONDERFUL WONDERFUL ski instructors. Place is nice, small, and you feel welcome. Not intimidating like some of the overly commercial tahoe places. they also have a great Lodge, which is nice if you just want to hang out and watch the kids/ or your family members ski. Another thing I really like here is they have some AMAZING vegetarian options- like their soups. Not the typical ski cafe, run of the mill stuff- but some good stuff. So that makes it easy for the vegetarian folks, They have some good paninis too in the lodge. We have been going here all this season and will continue. The place they definitely need to improve on is there reservation systems. I think they dont have much automation/ computerized systems so it does slow down things. The people try their best to make it up, but there is only so much they can do. For example, every time we have to fill a form and sign a release waiver. If all this was computerized, you would just have to do it once and then click to accept every time. The process really breaks down on holidays since there are so many people/ visitors. i hope they have the good sense to make investment in that area and make the check in, registration and class booking process much more seamless. That is the only reason I will give them a 4 star.

Date of experience: January 2016
"traffic"
in 3 reviews
"hill"

Reviewed February 20, 2016 via mobile

Compared to Lake Tahoe, I liked this place more because it is very friendly for learners. It has good cafeteria with variety of choices.
Take a Ski lesson and keep practicing in slopes without a lot of crowd. If there is any one not doing any snow sports they can just sit inside warm area of cafe, enjoy views and play with snow without need for purchasing tickets.

Date of experience: February 2016
2  Thank SatyaVummidi
Reviewed February 12, 2016

A hidden gem. Have been in the Bay Area for almost 20 years and have never heard of this area. Found it, like many people, by a google search for "nearest ski to san francisco." Dodge is a quick zip from the Peninsula, 2.5-3 hours PLUS a ski bus service taking you from the no-snow town of Sonora to Dodge for $10 (reservations required)! They've made this about as good and easy as it can get!

This was our first ski experience.

Highly recommend Chuck for families and newbies. Chuck catered to our individual needs. I'm a cluzt and a worry wort .. which is why I didn't want to try this. My kids are fearless with a need for speed. Chuck knew how to "size us up" and catered his lesson to each individual. With me he was patient and detailed and didn't push me... with the kids he was firm and funny, giving them freedom to test their new found skills yet always ensuring they were safe. It was like having 2 instructors in 1. His willingness to personalize the lessons had us all going down the kiddie slopes withing 30 minutes! The 2 hour lesson has been the highlight of our 3 day trip to the area. We can't wait to come back in March!

Tips:
If you do not want to chance having to deal with chains or drive in the snow, take the Dodge Bus from Sonora, CA (30 miles south of Dodge).. It's only 10 bucks!

Savemart in Sonora, CA has discount lift tix.

Avoid President's Day weekend and come after the Monday holiday. The local school districts have the long weekend off so better to come after president's day.

Avoid the mid-day madness and take your lessons early or late.

Be prepared to spend on safety. If you're a first-timer, don't skimp. Rent your gear at Dodge... the staff make several adjustments to ensure a proper fit.

Date of experience: February 2016
5  Thank suraimcfly
Reviewed January 26, 2016

I've been skiing at Dodge since I was a kid in high school. I loved it back then and love it even more now. Dodge Ridge isn't a huge resort, but it have improved and there's a lot more terrain now than when I was in high school. The prices are reasonable compared to what you'd get in many of the big Tahoe resorts and the people here at Dodge are great. My son started skiing during those bad snow years, but now that we've had a good season thus far - he's now able to go all over the mountain with me thanks to the ski school and to their instructors. We hope to be back year after year and are proud to call Dodge Ridge our home mountain.

Date of experience: January 2016