“Pleasant service good sushi”

Kotobuki Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Piedmont
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were able to get a table for six on late notice. Much appreciated.

Extensive menu with helpful photos.

The sushi was good, would definitely return, but not memorable enough to justify a long drive.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (12)

Reviewed December 1, 2018

This is probably the most kid friendly sushi place I have ever visited. Clearly that is a big part of their appeal, reading other reviews it seems that family-friendly is their niche. When we stopped in around 6 on a Saturday I think virtually every table was occupied by a family with at least one school aged child.

The fact that they make hosting kids a priority is self-evident, from the complimentary miso chock full of tofu (and not too spicy) to the chop stick adapters for small hands. Their menu is quite extensive, so even that unsual (by CAlifornia standards) child who does not want raw fish will have plenty of options.

With respect to the quality, I was pleased. I've generally been disappointed in the quality of sushi in the East Bay. It's usually okay but nothing that can compete with the great San Francisco spots like Ebisu or Eiji. Kotobuki won't challenge the SF greats and it's not quite the best I've had in the East Bay but it was still quite good. The Zig Zag roll was a favorite of mine; The scallop sashimi was also superlative. I also really liked the tako yaki, a bit more breaded than I usually like but the actual batter and octopus were very very good. The Fire Roll was a good idea but a bit fishier than I care for. Gyoza and Rock and Roll were both good.

If you want Family Friendly sushi this place gets 5 starts. Setting that aside I still give it a solid 4 stars, just be aware that if you want a romantic or adult's only sort of vibe this is not the place for you!

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed September 4, 2018

We were so happy with our meal here - the amount of food and the quality we received was outstanding. Especially loved their signature Swamp Roll. And I enjoyed my Tekka Don (donburi). The tempura entrees were large and delicious and the miso was one of the best (as was the salads that come with entrees). Can't wait to return. Domo arigato goziaemashita

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

We were warmly greeted and could change tables easily from where we were seated to a booth on the other side of the dining room. I was a little disappointed in the food. We ordered one bento box and one roll to share everything. There was a copious amount of food but we didn’t finish it all. Some of the fish did not taste completely fresh to me. I am very sensitive to the freshness of the seafood being used. If it has a fishy flavor, I don’t think it’s completely fresh. When I asked for low sodium soy, he brought it over immediately. The dining room is attractive.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed September 5, 2017 via mobile

Ate at Kotobuki for the first time, on a record hot day in Oakland. We just wanted an air-conditioned Japanese restaurant & got a whole lot more! After looking at the extensive menu, my sister & I both suggested the "Boat B" - a generous platter of chicken & salmon teriyaki; California rolls; shrimp, zucchini, sweet potato, potato & onion tempura; ahi & hamachi sashimi; rice; miso soup & salad. We also ordered a Rainbow Roll - a California roll with assorted fish. Everything was delicious and our bill for 4 people came to $58 - kinda ridiculously inexpensive for a good Japanese restaurant! We'll be back! ;)

Date of visit: September 2017