“Best ever accomodations!!”
Review of The Madrones

The Madrones
Ranked #1 of 4 Philo B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have been back twice to The Madrones since my stay in 2011....primarily to take advantage of some of the adventures that are offered through their website at different times of years (Mushroom foraging!!!). I found those workshops by looking up the Madrones on Facebook... Each time I stayed in a different suite. I loved the front suite and although a logging truck or 2 came through early morning, it wasn't a deterrent...in fact, it helped me to greet the day early for what was going to be a packed-full-to-the-minute day of events! (And STILL, I didn't have enough time to do and see all that I wanted to!) The weekends were free of early AM traffic...frankly, a VERY small inconvenience when you consider the stunning views, the decorator designed suites and comfortable beds, the accessibility to tasting rooms right on the property, and the central location to everything else! (Mendocino, Elk, multiple vineyards, Hendy Woods hiking, Boonville stores) The Sun & Cricket Shop on site even had art supplies so I could sketch from my balcony while sipping my wine....The newer suites are unique in style and equally as comfortable. I can't really pick my favorite...they are all charming! But Guest Quarters IV has great vineyard views.... The true heart of The Madrones, however, lies with the owner/ manager, Jim, who's warm, easy-going personality makes you feel like you are the most important guest he's ever had. He doesn't neglect the small "special" touches (I had a jar of his homemade preserves waiting for me in my kitchen) and as seen by the other reviews, goes above and beyond to correct any concerns, no matter how minor, he might receive from a guest. You just don't find that kind of interaction at a hotel anymore, sadly. One of my favorite parts was tasting at Bink and Drew wines (fine vintners!) and not having to drive home!! I try to give a very honest review, as I rely on these when I travel somewhere new all the time, but I honestly can't think of anything negative to say... Overall, my favorite place to stay when I come back to northern CA...nice to see Sunset magazine agrees with me!

Room Tip: Love the feel in the new suites...great views of the vineyards in Quarters IV
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
farmersheart, Owner at The Madrones, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you so much Helen for the glowing review. It is always such a pleasure to have you stay on the property. I'm glad you had a chance to experience the recently added guest quarters, we are so pleased at how they turned out. Look forward to having you visit again!

Thanks,
JIM

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and my sister and her husband planned a trip to Northern California and were looking for an overnight stay on our way to Inverness. the options for lodging in Philo were limited but was able to find this place. Very cool accommodations! Huge 2bedroom suite with kitchen and dining table. Nice large balcony that overlooked the vineyard on one side and highway on the other. Yogurt, granola, coffee and tea at your disposal. My only complaint is the road noise during evening and morning rush hour. If you are a light sleeper like me this will drive you crazy! Would consider staying agin maybe selecting a single room away from the highway.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
farmersheart, Owner at The Madrones, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Thanks for you response and I am glad you enjoyed your stay in the 2 bedroom apartment. I've had so many guests fall in love with guest quarters II, as you can see from some of the other reviews on this site and Yelp. I can understand the comment about the road noise in that particular guest quarters. It mostly effects the front bedroom, which is not a good choice for very light sleepers particularly on a midweek stay, like your recent visit on a Wednesday night. The weekends are a different story, much less road traffic and an absence of seasonal logging trucks. I have never had a road noise complaint from any of the other accommodations and would encourage you to consider one of those for a return visit, especially if it is midweek.....you'll sleep like a baby. Thanks for the feedback!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at The Madrones for three nights. There are pros and cons to this place. The grounds are stunning and intimate. Very easy for wine tasting if you do not want to drive. It is self contained from accommodations to several wine tasting rooms, a gift shop and cheese tasting. The wine is excellent. Bink being one of them. Jim, the owner is very nice as is his mother.
Room 1 could be compared to a nice small one bedroom apartment with double french doors connecting the living room and bedroom. The sheets, towels, and soaps are lovely. The bed is very comfortable. Anderson Valley itself is stunning and location is perfect.
The cons: For the price they do not provide maid service. We ran out of t.p. twice so in that respect it would have been better if someone simply checked in on the rooms for supplies or we had access to supplies when noone was around. Our tub was not cleaned very well so we ended up scrubbing it our ourselves. The walls are very thin if someone is staying next door in the two bedroom. We heard everything from hammering to pipes to voices which was a bit invasive and not ideal for sleeping in. If we were to stay at The Madrones again we would definitely choose the 2 bedroom in the future.
I would recommend staying here if in the area for wine tasting. My first recommendation would be The Booneville Hotel. Everyone is so friendly and eager to help out in this area. The area is still genuine and not overrun and spoiled. You can still pick apples off of a tree while on a stroll or talk to farmers about the land. The town of Booneville offers enough places to eat and shop for a weekend stay.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
farmersheart, Owner at The Madrones, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write to us as you did personally and also publicly here. I believe in all of our review sites and take feedback very seriously. It is our policy to correct all correctable issues.

I am glad that you enjoyed the points of the property that we have worked so hard to create and would like to address the couple of items that you noted which could use our attention. You are correct, we only have four accommodations and do not provide daily maid service. We state that in our policies and treat this as more of an extension of a home, not a hotel or B & B. Some people coming up to the area are unfamiliar with this type of operation which is more like a European Agriturismo and not a motel or hotel. I will look at a way to make sure people who are booking a stay in the valley at The Madrones understand that and do not have a different expectation. In the future we will be much more attentive to supplies in the room and as for the tub and fixtures, we have hard water in the area with mineral deposits, I will research a cleaner that take care of this issue. These guest quarters are fairly new and we want to make sure they are maintained to a high standard. As for the noise issue, this winter we went back in and added a double wall between the quarters as well as 4" and two layers of commercial soundboard. This is the first time I have heard of a noise issue and will look into it further.

Thank you again for the feedback and we will certainly work towards improving the stay of each of our future guests.

Warm regards, Jim

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the Madrones for the first time and will be back.
Rooms: Large, clean and well accented. We had one of the new suites and it was very nice. The room is spacious and has all of the necessities. Our room was off the road and quiet, no traffic sounds. There is a fridge and coffee pot for your everyday needs.
Location: Central to everything, downtown Philo or Boonville for dinner, Wineries are on location, across the street with Bocce ball or a close drive.
Ambiance: Excellent. There is a patio downstairs available for dinner or in the afternoons for lunch and it makes for a great location with friends or family. Our daughter felt safe to play on the grounds and garden.
Jim is on site and ever ready to help. He goes out of his way to make things very comfortable for all the guests. Thank you Jim and see you next year!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your review! The feedback makes what we are doing here so worthwhile. We really enjoyed having your family stay on the property and we are so glad that you enjoyed your visit. I see that you have already booked a return for next year, so we look forward to seeing you again.

Warm regards,
Jim

Reviewed July 6, 2011

The owner, Jim, has done a wonderful job with the property. We stayed in the one bedroom suite, which had every amenity that we needed. Very modern, clean, and comfortable. It is centrally located to everything you want to do in the area. We will definitely stay here again when we visit the area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kfrobertsSF
Reviewed February 21, 2011

This place is amazing. A great location with wine tasting rooms right on the property...Drew had some of the best Pinot I've ever had. The rooms are beautifully decorated - not your average hotel room!. It was a quick 20 minute drive to the coast and back and the owner gave us great restaurant and winery recommendations. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kalani808
Reviewed February 21, 2011

My boyfriend & I stayed at the Sun & Cricket for a romantic getaway from our hectic business lives in the city. Even if we didn't have time to take advantage of all the wonderful ammenities outside of the cottage, the stay there alone would have been well worth the time! The grounds are charming and immuculately cared for...we had our breakfast on the deck over the koi pond & spent many evenings sipping wine from nearby Navarro Vineyards (the BEST gewurztraminer ever!). The rose gardens and garden statues certainly set the mood...we were lucky to have perfect weather as well! I really enjoyed eating fresh sweet plums plucked from the garden trees & we even had tomatoes from the vegetable garden with our dinner. The kitchen is a chef's delight with a professional stove that we, unfortunately, used only once. (Day trips to Boonville & Mendocino for meals took precedence!) We picked fresh blackberries on the road to Indian creek state park, hiked amid the giant redwoods in Hendy Woods, tasted some of California's best wines & made it back to Sun & Cricket in one piece on our bicycles! It really was a little heaven on earth & the best part was it was only a couple hours away from that proverbial rat race. Definitely a place to go to again & again! On a side note, the house is beautifully decorated, the beds are comfortable & the fireplace just perfect. The only drawback is we didn't have more time off! I would also recommend the nearby Albion Inn in Mendocino & request a corner table if you're looking for a romantic evening meal. But for really delicious food & great service, try the Boonsville Inn & soak up the local color. Great rental property all-around!

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dermhelen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philo
The Lodge at Blue Lakes
#2 of 2 in Little River
Glendeven Inn Mendocino
Glendeven Inn Mendocino
#1 of 8 in Little River

Been to The Madrones? Share your experiences!