This was our second guest ranch in the past couple of years. We chose Highland Ranch over others since its - driving distance for us (3 hrs), gourmet food and wine, located in a great location (wine country and Mendocino Coast), small (< 25 guests), and plenty of trails for riding.
We were not disappointed. The food is excellent. We had fresh garden grown salads every meal, fresh veggies, and a great variety of meats and fish. Vegetarians got special treatment too. The ranch provided wines from the local wineries. Every night there was a nice fire on the deck for the guests to enjoy as the kids played in the fields. Musical instruments were available, and guests would play.
Riding was good (not great). Two rides a day, but you need to sign up each day since there is limited space. The rides were tailored to the group. The scenery was very nice. I really enjoyed the morning rides. They start at 11am (it would be nice if they were earlier).
My daughter (9yo) made friends at the ranch, and had a blast.
We will be back.
- bring bikes if you like to bike
- bring riding boots and gloves
- spend more than 2 days
- plan to visit the wineries since they are real close
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on a 250 acre estate in the Anderson Valley Wine region. Blackbird Farm is a peaceful guest ranch and farm. Located an easy 2 hours north of San Francisco. With eight clean and comfortable guest cabins surrounding the charming 100 year old Main House where delicious, fresh and wholesome meals are served. Open for vacations, weddings, reunions, retreats and dogs welcome. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Highland Ranch Hotel Philo