“A truly wonderful vacation”
Review of Blackbird Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philo
Blackbird Farm
GreenLeadersGold level
Burlingame, California
“A truly wonderful vacation”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We came here as one of our occasional college roommate family retreats and we really loved it. If you have enough people you can take over the whole ranch (advance reservations required, of course) The location is gorgeous, and the staff's attentiveness makes your vacation truly relaxing. A great place!

We came with 2.5 year old twin toddlers who had never slept in big beds before, so we had to make arrangements ahead of time, but after a night or two the boys adjusted and it was fun. And they loved being on the horses! We walked right alongside each horse with a Highland ranch wrangler leading the horse around the paddock. We also hiked with the boys, which they enjoyed.

All in all, this is a place to which we will return with pleasure!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jonathan K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ukiah, California
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Mendocino County is an incredible location and Highland Ranch provides a visitor a unique way to experience it. My wife and I spent our 30th wedding anniversary at “the ranch.” The staff went out of their way to meet our every request including a romantic dinner on the wisteria covered dock. Don’t expect five star accommodations with linen and bedding to die for or bathrooms out of a Sunset magazine features, but you will find that the ranch cabins provide a comfortable, clean and acceptable roof over your head. The fireplace and porch with rockers provide a nice retreat after you have spent the day exploring the incredible surroundings. We loved it so much that we encouraged our entire extended family to visit one month later. Our family took over the entire ranch for five days. Great location, great staff, great food, free booze, and an experience to last a life time. If you are an accomplished rider or a novice, or you just want to hike or hang out; put Highland Ranch on your list of “must visits.”

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mendocino_fan
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed July 5, 2011

For several years now a group of women friends, A.K.A. "The Dusty Cowbelles", have indulged our love of horses with an adventurous get together. Each adventure has been unique, but the Highland Ranch stands out as superb on on every level. The location and grounds are awesome, with seemingly endless miles of trails, well cared for horses and very capable guides that will tailor a ride according to experience levels, a rare treat!

The accommodations are very comfy, the food and wine was excellent and the hospitality was genuine and heartfelt! There is a great variety in activities and no shortage of places to relax either and being "dog friendly" the whole family can enjoy!
Absolutely loved this adventure!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mulegemama
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 23, 2011

If you like to feel special and taken care of in the great and beautiful outdoors, you need to look no further than the Highland Ranch in Philo,CA. The guests are number one and the hospitality is beyond belief.
There is no end to activities that are at your fingertips and there is no end to the non-activity.

It is all about you and whatever you want.

The guests and their wants are what matters.

Great food too!

It is a perfect 10 in my book and I am picky.

Thank you Highland Ranch for making my stay so warm and comforting.

Room Tip: The
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank pattimchughrames
San Francisco
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Spent a June weekend here with my hubby, toddler (almost 3), and my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (well behaved dogs allowed). I first visited in the late 90's (I had purchased 4 nights as part of a silent auction donation for charity) and stayed one other time about five years ago. Wish it hadn't been so long. Why? Well, if you like friendly, down to earth people, good food, horseback riding, beautiful scenery and interaction with a small set of interesting hosts and guests (one couple was from Shanghai, the other from LA), the Highland Ranch is the place for you. The cabins are modest (yes, updating would be nice) but quite roomy and appropriately rustic. Our cabin had two queen beds and a window view to one pasture where horse Thunder grazed, which was thrilling for our son and more than made up for the lack of a "Westin Heavenly Bed". The setting of the ranch is remote - you take a 2 mile drive through hills to arrive at the ranch. However, if you are there longer than a weekend, you might consider an excursion to the cute hamlets of Philo or Boonville or visit the surrounding fantastic wineries such as Breggo or Husch. We so enjoyed the long horseback rides, and we appreciated our gracious hosts arranging for us to have a wonderful sitter who walked/played with our son for a couple of hours so we could enjoy a scenic ride together. Our son can't stop talking about his "pony rides" and I can't stop thinking about the all the smiles (even dog smiles).

And, as I saw a few comments on pricing - prospective guests might want to consider the costs associated with hiring a staff to care and maintain a ranch (grounds, dining, cabins) and full stable . This isn't a B & B nor is it a hotel nor a corporate hotel backed enterprise. It is a unique place in the world where time perhaps stands still but all the essentials of hospitality are always in place. This is a family run operation that was developed because one special man, the owner, wanted to retire and have the world come to his guest ranch. I count myself lucky to have found it as I'm sure there aren't many such places. I'm currently putting together our next trip with various friends in a few months. Considering all the "priceless" aspects of the vacation, it is well worth it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank kalexia123
California
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We had a family renion at the ranch and everyone had a great time. Ages ranged from seniors down to babies. Food was outstanding, staff was extremely friendly and the wide variety of activies kept everyone happy.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank travelingcouple
CA
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Whenever I want to get away, I go to Highland Ranch. I find everything I need there. Caring excellent staff, beautiful horses, beautiful scenery, excellent food and wine. The ranch motto "Thou shall not hurry", is felt throughout the stay. I bring my dogs, I bring my son, I bring my husband sometimes. I've stayed at HR for riding clinics, yoga clinics and other wellness retreats. If you're an outdoors person, there's something to do for everyone. Fishing, Hiking, Biking, Riding... HR has it. I love that the rates include all meals, beverages and most activities. Great value in terms of dollars and relaxation.

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank Zodi11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philo
Hampton Inn Ukiah
#1 of 25 in Mendocino
Philo Apple Farm
Philo Apple Farm
#1 of 4 in Philo

Been to Blackbird Farm? Share your experiences!