“Don't listen to the naysayers!”
Review of El Rio Mexican Restaurant - CLOSED

El Rio Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

I love eating at El Rio EVERY time I come to visit my folks. The food has never been anything but delicious and fresh, the service never anything but amusing and friendly! As for the negative reviews......all I can say is they certainly don't match MY experience!

1  Thank usmcmrs

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Having lived in Santa Fe, NM for some years, and been privileged to experience some travels in the Yucatan and Western Mexico, I consider myself somewhat qualified to judge Mexican cuisine. It is my favorite. I have been obliged to eat at the El Rio "mexican" restaurant in Phillipsville on several occasions. It has always been a huge disappointment. They just don't even have a clue. What arrives is platter of luke-warm slop - limp tortillas (of the should-be crispy kind), soggy rice, canned beans, slathered in an unremarkable, unidentifiable "sauce" , sprinkled with a bland cheese product. The chile verde was rojo. Did I mention that it comes luke-warm. There's no point in nit -picking. It is clearly over their heads. I would choose Taco Bell anytime. If you're looking for good casual Mexican cuisine, go 10 miles south to Nacho Mama's - a cool little organic stand in Garberville. High quality food and sweet management (daytime only).

BUT! Back to El Rio - the restaurant is in the back part of a bar called the Riverwood Inn, and the Riverwood is a classic roadhouse that I highly recommend. Good bar, reasonable prices, live music weekends, sometimes some medium-big names, stage, small dance-floor, good-vibe patrons (usually), separated pool tables/video games area.

Upshot. Eat anywhere else and then go to the Riverwood to dance/party. But. Be wary of the CHP "gauntlet." Driving the stretch between Phillipsville and Garberville.

1  Thank lightnin051
Reviewed February 17, 2012

It's local, friendly and fun. Plan for slow service and lots of yakking before the Friday or Saturday band comes on in the adjacent bar and dancehall room. Loreen books some incredible Blues acts, and the dancing is fabulous, the floor smooth enough to dance barefoot. If rating the dancehall I'd give it a 10.

Reviewed March 23, 2011

We were looking for a restaurant nearby, and were directed here (El Rio Restaurant inside of the Riverwood Inn). Upon arriving, I worried about finding a family atmosphere, since there were so many motorcycles parked outside and the front of restaurant is a bar. But the dining area was separated from the bar and very family friendly. The food was slow to arrive, but definitely worth the wait, and the waitress brought crayons and coloring books for the kids. My husband was amazed to see posole soup on the menu, since otherwise we've only been served that by native Mexicans. It was very good, as was the rest of the food. Everything was very fresh--even the tortillas are made in the restaurant. We were very glad to have been sent here, and would definitely eat there again.

1  Thank MedievalWoman
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We read about it in the dining guide 101 things to do, read reviews on yelp, yahoo and trip advisor...all said great things so we were excited to try. Our meal was so horrible we couldn't finish..the salsa was watery, the waitress would walk away mid sentence, the food overall was bad, the ground beef in my taco was so gross I had to pick it out..both my husband and I left feeling partially sick to our stomachs and with bad tastes in our mouth...be warned if u must choose between a gas station burrito or here please go to the gas station

1  Thank makjms