“MMMMM Thai!”
Review of Thai Issan - CLOSED

Thai Issan
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Ok so in the past we have had a lot of good Thai food. Now we have had some of the best tasting. The flavors are BOMB!, a must go, if you are in Down Town Petaluma CA. The chef, Ma , yes Mom, came out and thanked us, No Thank You Ma, MMMM,I look forward to her bringing her food to Sacramento, hope its soon!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I've eaten at Thai Issan easily forty or fifty times since it opened. It's the restaurant where I tend to most go when in Petaluma. It is screamingly good, well-priced thai food with many options and a lovely locale with tatami rooms plus excellent service. I recommend it highly for regular dining or for special occasions. The pumpkin curry, masaman curry, pad thai, and tom kha gai soup, are all as good as I've had as far as Thai food, which is one of my favorite cuisines of all. It's well worth a trip for the food alone and is simply delicious. Thinking about eating elsewhere? Why? It's right downtown, and the price is reasonable. I sometimes go into a cold sweat imagining that this fantastic restaurant will close down. Then where will I find such always consistently good Thai food and service both in Sonoma County? There's one other place only that vaguely rivals it up in Santa Rosa, but I can't recall the restaurant's name. And even then, I still prefer Thai Issan.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Enjoyed dinner here. Many flavorful selections with your choice of degree of spice. Curries very good. I prefer table near window, pleasant experience. Waitress attentive without being intrusive. will definitely go back to try more items on menu. Ingredients were fresh and not over manipulated.

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Great food and authentic atmosphere. Pumpkin curry to die for. Pineapple fried rice good as well. Definitely would go again, unfortunately don't live in area.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just tried Thai Issan for lunch today with a friend while visiting Petaluma. The restaurant itself is lovely. Beautifully decorated, spacious, quiet, with lovely views outdoors. As others have said, there is seating both on the floor, and at tables with chairs. Despite being on a busy corner, the traffic outside could not be heard. A great place to have actual conversations with friends! The server was gracious and kind, and took our orders promptly.

I ordered my gold standard: Pad Thai with crispy tofu for $8.00 (lunch price). The menu did not reflect that it had any vegetables in it, which most other places have. I had to pay $1.00 extra to have them put broccoli in it. Also I had confirmed with the server that the tofu was crispy. When my dish arrived, it contained chicken. They graciously returned it and brought a new dish, piping hot, containing tofu. I should mention that a tasty salad was served before the meal and had a delicious dressing on it. Small, but good.

So why only 3 stars? Well, the Pad Thai was boring and somewhat dry. I am used to a more flavorful sauce, where the sweetness of the tamarind paste stands out. My noodles were thinner than usual, and nearly flavorless. It also needed way more sauce to keep the noodles from congealing when cooled off. My friend had the Pad Se-ew - pan fried noodles "with a sweet garlicy soy sauce". I tasted it, and it too was bland. I did not pick up any flavor of garlic or soy. Plus, her noodles were even drier than mine. They were really unappealing.

Overall, the place is lovely but if you are a noodle fan, this is likely not the place for you.