“WORST”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Petaluma
Fairfax, California
“WORST”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Worst experience. The room looked nice when we entered. As I sat on the bed I could see stains on the lampshade and wall(yellow). I had to open the window because the room smelled like cigarettes and animal. The window is crudely handicapped with a screw, allowing barely any air to flow through. Going into the tub I wondered if it would work well. The jets are chipping off the metallic coating. So little pieces of metal were in my bath. Then parts of the tub that had lost thread and were lightly balanced fell off and water was squirting out higher than the possible water line. Not to mention when I looked down at the drain there were black hairs. To add to my disappointment I felt it would be nice to jump in the pool. It is March so I assumed it would be heated. There was no cover. I went in and found myself quite frozen and surprised. I looked over at the outdoor shower and saw white residue. Then when I looked down at the pool there was cat hair all in it. There was a black long haired kitty digging in the flower boxes. The guest service rep informed me that the pool hadn't been heated since fall, after inquiring. The TV keyboard did not work and when it was replaced we then realized how low the wifi actually was. Then when I had continental breakfast it was DYI mostly. It was 8am and the breakfast sausage was cold and hard. Then when I arrived home from my trip I discovered they had charged me an extra $100, saying that I smoked in the room. I stated my case and was still accused. I never smoked in there room and I payed $220 for the above experience. What sence does it make that it cost $15 to have animals in your room, with dog hair weaving into the carpet, sheets and pool; when they charge me $100 for a room that wasn't even smoked in. They call it a deep cleaning fee. pshhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! hogwash. Go to the Sheraton!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cynthia L, Owner at Quality Inn Petaluma - Sonoma, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Miss Andrews, we understand your anger and frustration with your situation. As to your comments, our previous reviews and guest service scores show that we run a conscientious business, and we always try to have the majority of our guest’s happiness and satisfaction in mind. Also, we are ready and able to resolve any negative experience(s) a guest has if they bring it to our attention.

To your main issue, our hotel has a non-smoking policy to protect the health and well being of all our guests against second-hand smoke, and this policy is supported by the City of Petaluma NonSmoking Ordinance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Eureka, CA
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Overall this hotel was OK. The front desk was friendly, the breakfast in the AM was good (fresh bacon, eggs, sausage, waffle maker, bagels, toast). The hotel is split into several 2-story buildings (no elevators). My biggest complaint was that our whole floor smelled like pot smoke & the surrounding area was run down. The hotel is within walking distance to the 101 Casino. The hotel is also close to Applebees, Subway & a 7-11. They have Direct TV & a good channel selection. If I visit the area again, I will probably not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cynthia L, Owner at Quality Inn Petaluma - Sonoma, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you Pharmerjess for your comments and we appreciate you being specific about your biggest complaints.

Regarding the pot smoking, we are a smoke free hotel and do our best to track down who is breaking this rule and to deep clean and air out the specific guest room and hallways thoroughly after the guest has checked-out. Did you report the pot smell during your stay or at check-out? We encourage guests to let us know at any time if there is something that needs our attention and we will try to resolve the situation even if it means moving you to another room or building or a refund if you did not want to stay.

Your second concern was the surrounding area being run down. Our hotel is surrounded on one side by a Jack in the Box, Applebee’s and a large business park and on the other side by an economy hotel, a casino/restaurant and a vintage car dealership. We are in a classic hotel location right off the main highway for easy access on and off the highway. In all fairness to our next door neighbors, they have
recently repainted their exteriors and re-paved their parking lots where needed.

If you do come up our way again, we hope you re-consider staying with us. Our location has a tremendous amount of public services, in addition to what I mentioned, within walking distance including Kohl’s, Pier 1 Imports, restaurants, Starbucks etc. And as you mentioned in your review, we have friendly employees, a good breakfast and channel selection with Direct TV.
San Dimas, Ca
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Just an overnight stay this time. I found that the front desk staff were friendly and efficient. Room was clean and comfortable. The hot breakfast was varied, hot and satisfying. If you need a little more room look at the floor plan of the buildings and ask for one of the larger ones. The hotel provides blue recycling bins which look like trash containers - so they end up with trash and garbage in addition to recycling.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank SDMRT
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We came to the Petaluma area to visit. Hotel seem to look some what nice. Will never go there again. Room was dirty. Dead bugs in corners of bathroom floor and never cleaned by house keeping. Found bugs on the bed, it sicken me. Talked to the office, they sent someone in to strip the bed, did not help. Carpets are disgusting. Asked the man who came to the room why it was so trashed, drawing on wall above doorway, bed looked and felt like it was 30 years old. Mattress was horrible like people had been jumping on it till they smashed it down. His response "People party in these rooms" Hello, is this allowed knowing it? I hear now no smoking but allows animals and charge for it. Please tell me what you do to clean after people leave. Shampooing does not help especially the stains, needs to be steamed clean. Being allergic to dogs would have to steam clean and dogs lay on the bed. Don't have comforter/bedspread, some kind of blanket folded at end of bed and two top sheets? Does that ever get washed? A/C is very noisey and it was coming off the wall. I was in the room one day when housekeeping came in, they are so lazy. Asked if she could make the bed, response "again" umm yea I make my bed every day. Seems they don't like changing sheets of vacuum as one would always ask if they had too. Cleaning the tub is a joke. All they do is stand there and spray something on the bottom of the tub, had to buy my own cleaner. Need to take pride in this hotel and keep it clean and get rid of the bugs, also stop the trashing. Need to change decor, brighten it up, dingy. Most important cleanliness, hire people that are not lazy. Will never recommend this hotel as we know many who come to that area for the wineries.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Melissa T
Cynthia L, Owner at Quality Inn Petaluma - Sonoma, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
I question your stay. Any unhappy guest has two options: 1) switch rooms and 2) check-out with a full refund. While I have admitted in past responses that some carpets have been soiled, that has been the exception plus we are 95% completed with our new carpet installation. Under our employment, every Housekeeper has gone through training and will continue to receive training on how to best clean the guest room. In addition, as we should, our Housekeeping Supervisor inspects rooms every for cleanliness and maintenance issues. This is not lip service. We questioned our male Front Desk staff and no one recognizes you as a guest or your situation. If you had stayed and found your room unsatisfactory, at the least you would have been moved to another room to your liking and not just have your linens changed and be done. Our Front Desk staff also participates in on going guest service training and realizes the value of the correct way to handle situations and dissatisfied guests because we do hope that in the future the guest will come back to visit.
West Linn OR
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was impressed when I called to confirm the reservation due to a glitch with Choice Hotels, and Jim, the manager, took my call. He was friendly and professional. He immediately emailed the confirmation and made it seem like it was his utmost pleasure to do so.

Our room was nice, well appointed, clean and the bed was comfortable enough. The breakfast was fine and provided enough choices for us.

All of the staff was friendly and the location was convenient; just off the freeway. We did not have any problems with noise although we did keep the fan running all night.

I even received a follow up email from Jim thanking us for our stay. I appreciate that attention to detail.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank indieOregonian
Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Used this as a starting off point to explore wine country and the coast. We picked it because it was pet friendly. Staff was friendly and attentive. Free breakfast every morning that included waffles, eggs, sausages, fruit, coffee and muffins. I had no issues with noise even though it's next to the freeway. This is a moderate level facility, so don't expense fancy stuff.mbut it is a solid value for your money and the area, which can be pricey. Why spend your money on a room you're going to sleep in? Save it for your vacation. Did I mention free wi-fi, Directv, flat screen tv? You can't go wrong here. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get room on first floor to unload your stuff.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LsyaB
Orlando, FL
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel looks more like an apartment complex than a hotel since it consist of several separate buildings. So if you get a second floor room you have haul your stuff up the stairs, no elevator. You have to open the hallway door 1st with your room card key, then open your room door. I could hear that door slam everytime somebody used it. Ugly green carpet had several stains and was dirty along edges. Sink had granite top, but shower had a separation from tile on floor whick looked ugly. Breakfast was good and included with price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
lipstkshu, Owner at Quality Inn Petaluma - Sonoma, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you Axl for your comments. Our high season is from May to October, right now we are transitioning to our slower time, less crowds, lower pricing. You are correct about not having an elevator. If it was inconvenient for you to go upstairs, unless we were sold out, we would’ve gladly relocated you to a downstairs room. I will look into adjusting the closer for the hallway doors, they can be adjusted to close more slowly. As I mentioned in a review we received for last week, we will be changing out guestroom carpets next month and at the same time the threshold strips between the bathroom and the sleeping room will be replaced. We invite you to visit our area again – there’s always some place to discover – and you can see how our new carpet looks.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
BEST WESTERN Petaluma Inn
#5 of 8 in Petaluma
BEST WESTERN Inn
BEST WESTERN Inn
#4 of 10 in Rohnert Park

Been to Quality Inn Petaluma - Sonoma? Share your experiences!