“European Charm & Gateway to Wine Country”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Metro Hotel & Cafe

Metro Hotel & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Petaluma
Petaluma, California
“European Charm & Gateway to Wine Country”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This hidden gem is gives you a quaint european feel the moment you walk in the door. I stayed here frequently when I was in the process of moving and was always very pleased with the unique decor in the rooms, like clawfoot shower/tubs and a round bed that only add to the charm. There's a cozy cafe with great coffee and pastries and the general areas are fabulous for relaxing and reading a book. The owners are friendly and make you feel at home. Be aware that there is no elevator and you'll have to shlep your luggage up one flight if your room is on the 2nd floor.

Room Tip: If you're a feline lover, there's a resident cat that visits certain rooms for a friendly vi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank CMJKFE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
San Jose
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I love this place - stayed here twice. Once with the mom and this last time with a group of girlfriends. Why would anyone go to Petaluma??? Yeah I know that's the question you are asking yourself. We went for two of Sonoma's fun wine event weekends.

The Metro is the cutest little french inspired hotel. Every nook, corner, and cranny was decorated with adorable shabby chic details. The crazy steep spiral staircase leads you to your rooms. We stayed in a two room suite - one queen bed with two twins in the living room, a daybed with pull-out trundle. Both beds were amazingly comfy. Claw foot tub with rainfall shower head in the bathroom, (water pressure could have been a bit stronger).

The guy who checked us in wasn't the most friendly or excited, but we only had to spend a nano-second with him and didn't need any assistance during our stay so it was fine.

Love this place, of course we will stay again!

Room Tip: Two room suites are quite comfy and have larger bathrooms!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mary B
Fremont, California
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We only stayed in this hotel one night, but were happily upgraded to the small 'cottage' room next-door to the hotel. There were only two of us, but it could sleep at least 5 people. It was decorated in an eclectic shabby chic style. The hotel owner/manager was extremely nice and made sure we felt right at home. If you are looking for a a good price and a cute simple hotel, this is a great place. I will stay here again in the future for sure!

1 Thank Angie E
Roseville, California, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Rooms were very clean and comfortable. We enjoyed the privilege to use the cafe refrigerator and the morning and evening coffee and pastry. The coffee is Petes (can't get any better than that) and the process is very unique; you'll love it. We'll be back . . . a special place to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. Loved it! The only reason for the "very good" rather than "excellent" is the age of some of the accessories, i.e. rust on some of the bathroom fixtures (sink and bathtub accessories). Definitely a French setting with French-decorated rooms and artwork.

Room Tip: We used a Groupon offer, which meant we got a 50% discount. If that is offered again, we're on i...
1 Thank Rick W
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My fiancee and I stayed at the Metro because a friend had raved about it. It was everything they said it would be. The staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating. They allowed us to check in early with no problem which was much appreciated. They provided great winery & restaurant recommendations. There is free coffee, tea, and pastries in the morning. The entire hotel is decorated in a such a charming shabby chic style. I felt comfortable right away because it was like someone's home. The town of Petaluma is adorable and the hotel is located within a short walk of the downtown. It was only a 20 minute drive to many of the wineries we visited in Sonoma and was a much better price than places we found there - and none of them would have had the character of the Metro! A perfect place for a getaway and I plan to return whenever we're back in the area!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room in the blue building located next to the main building. We had a little patio sp...
3 Thank Kathleen610
Desert Hot Springs, California
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I went to visit friends in Petaluma who had recently bought a house. Since their spare room wasn't ready, they graciously booked me here. I fell in love with the Metro. I stayed in one of the rooms that was in a small building next to the main one. The room was a bit rustic, which I loved. I had my own small deck and private, fenced yard, with a lemon tree. The main building has a little "cafe" area, with self-serve coffee, tea and pastries in the morning. They have French pop music playing over the speakers. The employees are all very friendly. The hotel is a few blocks from downtown Petaluma;I parked my car when I arrived and never used it until I left. Everything is within walking distance. I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the blue building, or you can also ask to stay in one of the mini-Airstream trailers
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 5, 2014

On a last minute solo-getaway up north, I was able to find availability at the Metro Hotel. It's a lovely hotel and incredibly cozy - I felt as if I woke up in a grandmother's cozy cottage that has everything you'd need. As a previous post said it has retro French decor throughout the building, which certainly adds to its charm. I could have taken photos of every corner. The complimentary pour over Peet's Coffee was great. It's only about a 10 minute walk to the historic downtown Petaluma. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Sharz K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
BEST WESTERN Petaluma Inn
El Pueblo Inn
El Pueblo Inn
#3 of 11 in Sonoma
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa

Been to Metro Hotel & Cafe? Share your experiences!