“Metro Hotel - Anna's loft” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Metro Hotel & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Petaluma
San Francisco, California, United States
“Metro Hotel - Anna's loft”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

The BF and I chose Metro Hotel for its extremely convenient location to all Petaluma has to offer. We were rewarded with not only the convenience but also very friendly and helpful staff and a quirky, peaceful environment you won't find at your standard hotel. Anna's loft is an enormous unit, two bedrooms upstairs and a full living room and kitchen downstairs so we had plenty of space to ourselves to relax.

1 Thank Molly C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

What can I say! Super clean, very quirky and an absolutely fabulous place to stay. Rooms spotless, including sheets which were ironed - very rare to find in the US. Lovely welcome from Jeff, who gave us a choice of rooms. The decor was great, including a light up goose in our room. Stay here if you can, you won't regret it.

1 Thank mummym1
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Staying at Metro hotel was completely unexpected. My husband's cousin recommended it knowing I am French (living in Chicago for the past 20 years). The hotel is super clean and offers an incredible array of vintage memorabilia from all over France, and not only from the Parisian subway "metro". There are games from the 1950's in the cafe-breakfast sitting area, a piano in a corner of the lobby, and many many details everywhere that reminded me of my birth country. It is a hotel of course but you get a homely feeling as soon as you step in. The entire place feels very playful and a discovery hunt. The piano is working by the way, my husband played, and has music books of classic French songs from the 1970's. The room was comfortable, spacious with high ceiling and a nice wooden floor with a large mirror. It was like a dance studio. Outside was a patio with a small garden and fruit trees. You can sit on the garden furniture, drink a beer and chill out while guessing which types of trees are providing the shade. The outdoor has a Mediterranean garden flair due to the good climate in Petaluma. I saw a humming bird in the garden. The neighbohor is residential and very green, and the hotel is located at walking distance from down town. The coffee in the morning is excellent and brewed by yourself like in an Intelligentsia cafe. But you have to go elsewhere if you need to devour in the morning because they offer only (good) cake. I loved this hotel and would go back without hesitation - Anne

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank boullerne
Pahrump, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Definitely interesting. French-themed down to the vintage board games in the common area. I hadn't seen a Jeu de l'Oie in a long time! Our headboard was a giant blackboard with a Victor Hugo quote hand-written in chalk. The room numbers are the traditional blue enamel French house numbers, and there's even a sand pit at the back for playing pétanque. Street signs, Metro signs, old toys, garden chairs, it's all French and a lot of fun.
Staff was friendly and helpful, but scarce, which was fine. You're pretty much on your own for breakfast and everything else. While the muffin slices (2 different kinds) were excellent, the coffee system pushed the cute factor a bit far and was not terribly practical. The is a common fridge where you can keep things during your stay, a helpful touch.
You won't find the little free toiletries one has come to expect in hotels, but there are bottles of shampoo etc. for your use. The bathroom has a clawfoot tub and the anti-slip things at the bottom of it are rubber duckies.
Despite being on a busy street, the room was quiet. The bed was plush and comfy. Our room has a small outdoor area that was perfect for a quick bite and a glass of wine.
If you enjoy being waited on and pampered in a luxurious environment, this is not the place for you. We very much enjoyed this unique hotel. The attention to detail in the decor is just incredible. It is fun, funky, quirky, but everything you need for a comfortable stay is there; it has the feel of a bed and breakfast more than a hotel.
I also appreciated that it is conveniently located in central Petaluma and not just off the 101 like so many others. There's a Thai restaurant that does dining in or take-out just steps away.

Bethlehem, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I'd call it a "hotel" rather than a hotel in a good way. No elevators or front desk, but a funky, cool big multi-bedroom suite house full of crackle paint furniture with a french artist feel. It's "metro" like high-end city. It's "metro" like french subway. The downstairs is common area with sitting areas and a french cafe. The cafe setting is self-serve with shared refrigerator and dishes. Great self-serve coffee and lemon poppy cake was set out the morning I was there.

I have not been to a self-serve establishment. You get a combo code for the exterior doors. If you arrive late you basically check yourself in. And for check out you just drop your key in the box and go. I was given a brief tour and explanation of the place works and then I was on my own.

The room I stayed in was on the street side with a great alcove window. Typical street noise for the front of a house. The room was big, had a private bath with claw-foot tub, a 47" wall mounted TV, and a second room with single bed and trundle bed. All of the walls are colorfully painted and all of the floors are wood and slightly creaky. But the guests are asked to be quiet and they certainly were during my stay. The occasional creaky floor board in the hallway is all I heard even in the morning. Bed was comfortable and the sheets were crisp.

Lots of outdoor sitting areas. If I was here for a wine trip this place would be fantastic. This would be a great place for a group of friends doing wine country or a couple. I was traveling alone and wanted something boutique, out of the ordinary, and close to Lagunitas Brewery. This was perfect.

Room Tip: The front of the house is the only street facing side, but it's not a very busy street. For the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Oberlin, Ohio, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I travel a lot and stay in hotels often and The Metro Inn in Petaluma was one of my all time favorite stays.

The Inn was clean, charming, comfortable, and we enjoyed our stay so much that I will stay there every time I visit Petaluma in the future.

We loved it!

Room Tip: This is an old, converted mansion...there are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Alameda, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Somewhat at the last minute, my husband and I had to spend two consecutive Thursday and Friday nights in Sonoma County for his work. Finding a place to stay was unexpectedly difficult, leaving us discussing whether Motel 6 was survivable for 2 short stays (pumpkin + harvest season = Crazy busy Sonoma). The only room availability was in the $400-600 per night category. Googling led us to read reviews for Metro Hotel, and we discovered that they had rooms available that looked like they would work. Honestly, my expectations were a little low after all the searching we had done.

The first visit we stayed in Nest #3. This little spot might not be for everyone, but we loved it. It's 1.5 miles from the main hotel, in a little cottage behind a larger house. Big french doors opened into a small, simple but well-equipped room, that had lots of natural light. The queen bed was spectacularly comfortable (although a small person might want a stool in order to step up to the bed--it's raised unusually high). Two other significant items in the main room--a warmly lit goose lamp--not goose-necked, but an actual plastic goose; and a bright orange couch that had perhaps seen better days (my husband liked it but I never sat in it). An exceptionally clean and roomy white-tiled bathroom had everything we needed. The claw foot tub seemed a little intimidating initially, but the giant shower head proved to be enough of a draw to get over any concerns and give it a try. In a little hallway between the bathroom and the main room was fresh coffee, a closet, and wine glasses for those who might need them. Right outside of our french doors were a little gurgling pond and apple trees. Sweet, sweet, sweet. We were sorry to leave our little haven.

The 2nd two nights we were in the main hotel, on the first floor, Room 180. This room has its own separate entrance from the outside, facing both a perfect little garden area and the parking lot (not a problem, never heard a sound). The room had very high ceilings, two queen beds, a small table and chairs, another goose lamp, and a large bathroom/shower that was delightfully french.

The bathroom gets its own paragraph: The giant (no, seriously) shower head with handheld sprayer was along one wall, and the toilet on the other. There is no demarcation between toilet space and shower space. No shower curtain, no step into the shower. I have only seen something like this in Paris--and I LOVED it. What could be more comfortable than essentially having the entire bathroom in which to shower?

The whole hotel was quiet, we never heard any street or guest noise, and the staff is very low key. If you are the kind of guest who constantly needs things you might not like the low-keyness, because they aren't around that much. But for us it worked. The cafe, with self-serve high quality coffee and pastries, was just right.

All in all, this was a great find for us. Next time we are thinking of apple picking or other adventures in the Sonoma area, we would not hesitate to stay at the hotel again. For us it would have to be on the first floor or one of the Nests, due to accessibility issues, but that would be my only caution.

Room Tip: The main hotel's narrow staircase might not work for those with accessibility issues--ask for so...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
BEST WESTERN Petaluma Inn
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Olea Hotel
Olea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Glen Ellen

Been to Metro Hotel & Cafe? Share your experiences!