“Very cute, quirky and quiet”
Review of Metro Hotel & Cafe

Metro Hotel & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Petaluma
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I'd call it a "hotel" rather than a hotel in a good way. No elevators or front desk, but a funky, cool big multi-bedroom suite house full of crackle paint furniture with a french artist feel. It's "metro" like high-end city. It's "metro" like french subway. The downstairs is common area with sitting areas and a french cafe. The cafe setting is self-serve with shared refrigerator and dishes. Great self-serve coffee and lemon poppy cake was set out the morning I was there.

I have not been to a self-serve establishment. You get a combo code for the exterior doors. If you arrive late you basically check yourself in. And for check out you just drop your key in the box and go. I was given a brief tour and explanation of the place works and then I was on my own.

The room I stayed in was on the street side with a great alcove window. Typical street noise for the front of a house. The room was big, had a private bath with claw-foot tub, a 47" wall mounted TV, and a second room with single bed and trundle bed. All of the walls are colorfully painted and all of the floors are wood and slightly creaky. But the guests are asked to be quiet and they certainly were during my stay. The occasional creaky floor board in the hallway is all I heard even in the morning. Bed was comfortable and the sheets were crisp.

Lots of outdoor sitting areas. If I was here for a wine trip this place would be fantastic. This would be a great place for a group of friends doing wine country or a couple. I was traveling alone and wanted something boutique, out of the ordinary, and close to Lagunitas Brewery. This was perfect.

Room Tip: The front of the house is the only street facing side, but it's not a very busy street. For the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I travel a lot and stay in hotels often and The Metro Inn in Petaluma was one of my all time favorite stays.

The Inn was clean, charming, comfortable, and we enjoyed our stay so much that I will stay there every time I visit Petaluma in the future.

We loved it!

Room Tip: This is an old, converted mansion...there are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Somewhat at the last minute, my husband and I had to spend two consecutive Thursday and Friday nights in Sonoma County for his work. Finding a place to stay was unexpectedly difficult, leaving us discussing whether Motel 6 was survivable for 2 short stays (pumpkin + harvest season = Crazy busy Sonoma). The only room availability was in the $400-600 per night category. Googling led us to read reviews for Metro Hotel, and we discovered that they had rooms available that looked like they would work. Honestly, my expectations were a little low after all the searching we had done.

The first visit we stayed in Nest #3. This little spot might not be for everyone, but we loved it. It's 1.5 miles from the main hotel, in a little cottage behind a larger house. Big french doors opened into a small, simple but well-equipped room, that had lots of natural light. The queen bed was spectacularly comfortable (although a small person might want a stool in order to step up to the bed--it's raised unusually high). Two other significant items in the main room--a warmly lit goose lamp--not goose-necked, but an actual plastic goose; and a bright orange couch that had perhaps seen better days (my husband liked it but I never sat in it). An exceptionally clean and roomy white-tiled bathroom had everything we needed. The claw foot tub seemed a little intimidating initially, but the giant shower head proved to be enough of a draw to get over any concerns and give it a try. In a little hallway between the bathroom and the main room was fresh coffee, a closet, and wine glasses for those who might need them. Right outside of our french doors were a little gurgling pond and apple trees. Sweet, sweet, sweet. We were sorry to leave our little haven.

The 2nd two nights we were in the main hotel, on the first floor, Room 180. This room has its own separate entrance from the outside, facing both a perfect little garden area and the parking lot (not a problem, never heard a sound). The room had very high ceilings, two queen beds, a small table and chairs, another goose lamp, and a large bathroom/shower that was delightfully french.

The bathroom gets its own paragraph: The giant (no, seriously) shower head with handheld sprayer was along one wall, and the toilet on the other. There is no demarcation between toilet space and shower space. No shower curtain, no step into the shower. I have only seen something like this in Paris--and I LOVED it. What could be more comfortable than essentially having the entire bathroom in which to shower?

The whole hotel was quiet, we never heard any street or guest noise, and the staff is very low key. If you are the kind of guest who constantly needs things you might not like the low-keyness, because they aren't around that much. But for us it worked. The cafe, with self-serve high quality coffee and pastries, was just right.

All in all, this was a great find for us. Next time we are thinking of apple picking or other adventures in the Sonoma area, we would not hesitate to stay at the hotel again. For us it would have to be on the first floor or one of the Nests, due to accessibility issues, but that would be my only caution.

Room Tip: The main hotel's narrow staircase might not work for those with accessibility issues--ask for so...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Loved the service and hospitality of the staff and enjoyed the facilities as well. All was perfect and provided for a wonderful little getaway for me and my sweetie. Perfect! Walked to a movie. Enjoyed fresh dairy ice cream. Loved the coffee and sipped on wine. What else is there?

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was so pleasantly surprised by this little place. Hard wood floors, claw foot tub, comfy bed, beautiful garden setting, French decor. After a5 day bike trip in wine country, this was a nice retreat, and walking distance from eats, movies, in old town. Don't miss this one. Only complaint...walls a little thin, but still very quiet non the less.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Had one of the best night's sleep in a long time at the Metro! Colorful, off-beat, quirky, and comfortable! Jeff was very accommodating, and made me feel right at home. I loved sitting in the little cafe area and reading, while French music played in the background. It is perfectly situated so that you can have a nice walk to the main streets for parks, shopping and coffee. Simple breakfast with delicious cakes and pastries. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 4, 2013

A friend had heard good things about the Metro Hotel & suggested it to me when I asked if she knew an affordable, nicer hotel in the Petaluma area. It looked charming on the website, & definitely not typical of any comparably priced accommodations. We had room 181, a ground floor Queen with its own enclosed small yard with a tiny deck with a cafe table & chairs. Rustic pine floors & quirky painted furniture complement the floral bedding, & a very battered leather club chair from the 1930's provides the lounge seating. Its patina includes the faint whiff of body odor & it completely bottoms out when sat in - all part of the ambiance. The bathroom sink is a tiny vintage wall hung model which is challenging to use, and made more so by the narrow glass shelf above it. The bathroom itself is very compact, with a small stall shower & no vanity. The bed was very comfortable & everything very clean. The organic coffee in the cafe is a delicious do-it-yourself individual drip method, but the cups are tiny. Pastries are also self-serve (check out the tupperware container in the fridge for large muffins), & multiple seating options include a large, sunny table, small booths in the cafe, or outdoor cafe tables. All in all, it was perfect for a very casual overnight or perhaps for a romantic interlude, with the feeling of being in a small French B&B, rather than in the middle of Petaluma. Parking lot behind the hotel, some street parking as well. Would definitely stay there again & would recommend if you're OK with a bit of quirkiness.

Room Tip: This room seemed to be the only one with an enclosed garden space. The maids/service space is appar...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
Best Western Petaluma Inn
El Pueblo Inn
El Pueblo Inn
#3 of 11 in Sonoma
Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center

Been to Metro Hotel & Cafe? Share your experiences!