“Great stay!”
Review of Metro Hotel & Cafe

Metro Hotel & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Petaluma
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We loved this place. Some rooms don't have AC, but but it's not that big of deal. Friendly staff, clean rooms, and decorated in a cottage theme! Don't expect a shower, bath only in the claw foot tub. Eat at the cucina paradiso down the street and walk the water at night. A great little hotel in a hidden gem of a town, Peteluma.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We decided on this hotel so we could see what it was like to stay in an airstream trailer after seeing an article in sunset magazine. They have two airstreams, we stayed in the 2007 Bambi model. (Cute and cozy). The only issues were several burned out bulbs, window crank broken. Bulb out in the restroom/ shower. We let the person in charge know the next morning of the needed maintenance. We were assured the fixes would be made, returned to find nothing had been fixed. The mattress is the original from 2007, it needs to be replaced. You have to make your own coffee which can be a crowded area in the morning. The so called fresh pastries for breakfast are actually Costco muffins sliced to look like bread. Plan to dine elsewhere for breakfast. The sitting areas in the hotel are nice. Short walk to town and great restaurants.

Room Tip: We never got to see the hotel rooms since we stayed outside in the airstream.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chillsboro
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Loved this hotel: walking distance to downtown and so comfortable. Rooms are individually decorated with lots of charm. Comfortable beds, linens, and pillows to make this a romantic escape and cozy robes. The gardens make a great place to savor a glass of wine or enjoy a morning cup of coffee. They offer a continental breakfast, self serve. It's everything that you need for a lovely getaway.

Room Tip: Loved Room 200 (a suite with trundle bedroom) - lots of windows and faces the iconic Metro Hotel sig...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank InternationalGal
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My mom and I came up for 5 days 4 nights and stayed at the Metro Hotel in the older of the two Airstream trailers. What a hoot! We have always wanted to see what that was like, but neither of us wanted to deal with driving with a trailer on the back of a rental truck and dealing with parking the thing as it is especially tricky. In the morning we would pad our way down the back path to the cafe and make our own Peet's coffee and enjoy slices of poppyseed, blueberry, or chocolate muffins. There is free Wi-Fi so we would check our email on our iPad, check the local weather, then drive somewhere for the afternoon, and come back for dinner in town. The Airstream had a TV, but the wireless was a little weak, but that just gave me time to work on my photography. The Mystic Theatre is closeby as is the Tall Toad Music store. Many great boutiques in the older part of town where some of the buildings dated approximately the late 1850's. Tall ceilings! Just driving around the nearby neighborhood and looking at all the big Victorian homes was a lovely way to spend an early evening. Thanks Metro!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JDPandMOM
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed here in May 2013 during a very busy time in Wine Country. We found this place
accidentally while searching online for a place to stay in the area and everything was
booked up. What a find! It's a gem near downtown historic Petaluma with a very
artsy flair in an old restored historic building. Lots of charm and character,very clean and
a delightful far cry from the typical chain hotel rooms. I loved wandering around the
downstairs area where there is a self serve cafe with Peet's coffee and pastries for
a continental breakfast. It's filled with nooks and crannies of old antiques, colorful art,
an old piano, old bicycles & a garden patio area outside to sit. Beds and rooms were just
as charming & comfortable. Definitely worth the stay. The hosts were helpful and
friendly and the rates were very reasonable. I highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jen W
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I live in the East Bay portion of the San Francisco Bay area, but work in Petaluma. Approximately once per month, my schedule necessitates staying in Petaluma instead of driving home. The only place I stay is Metro Hotel and Cafe.

While the rooms are minimalist, especially for us Americans, they are extraordinarily comfortable and relaxing. I don't think I have heard any of the other guests when I have been there. I have stayed in all portions of the hotel, and at one of the remotely located 'nests'. I always look forward to arriving, then regret that I can't stay a while longer in the morning.

The staff is great: welcoming when you arrive, there if you need them, invisible the rest of the time. The hotel is just a couple blocks from the heart of downtown Petaluma and some outstanding restaurants and shops.

If you are a big, corporate hotel kind of traveler, this probably isn't the best place for you. However, if you enjoy a unique, intimate, and fun experience, stay here!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed here for a work trip that brought me to the area. Very kind host upon arrival who showed me to my room. A family run business - they took a historic mansion and converted it to a hotel - and a welcome change from the typical chain hotel. Clean room, comfortable bed and convenient location. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jessica D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
Hotel Petaluma
El Pueblo Inn
El Pueblo Inn
#3 of 11 in Sonoma
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa

Been to Metro Hotel & Cafe? Share your experiences!