“Wonderful!”
Review of Metro Hotel & Cafe

Metro Hotel & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Petaluma
Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you are the kind of person who likes the sterility of a chain hotel or motel, you may not take kindly to the Metro. For the rest of us, there is the Metro--a rehab in process that has rehabbed my take on hotels. Like the chains, my room was clean and comfortable with a big screen TV and good space for my stuff. The person who greeted me was very helpful, but without the stiff, I-have-manager-looking-over-my-shoulder approach. There's a sweet, self-service cafe in which to sit and have a cup of your favorite warm beverage, chat with friends and/or have a bite of scrumptious pastry provided by the hotel. The Cafe also has a communal fridge, ice machine, dishes, and recycling bins--all available to the guests. I loved my stay here and will return again and again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 5, 2013

In our room there wasn't a window, they do have a sky light. So if the place caught on fire you are doomed, plus it was so hot in our room and you couldn't open a window. They have a beautiful bath tub but no stopper so you can't take a bath. And lastly they gave us 2 towels so if I wanted to use a towel to wrap around me and one to wrap my hair my husband wouldn't have a towel. The kid Jake behind the desk was very nice and took $20 off our bill for not having a window since the hotel was full and we couldn't switch rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a window!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 48Julie_C48
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We recently attended a fiddle camp at Walker Creek Ranch in the coastal hills near Petaluma. On the third night of our stay we experienced rain and 50 mph gusts and decided that a hotel stay would be a wiser decision than trying to weather the storm in our 3 person tent. We called a few of the local chains and were processed through the phone maze and ended up talking to their call centers. I called the Metro Hotel and Jake answered immediately. This was a pleasant surprise as it was 11:30 at night! Our GPS took us way off course but Jake patiently guided us, via phone, to the Metro and met us out front. Not only did he show us a room, he showed us three, before we decided on the one that was best for a family of 3. The room was charming and Jake was a warm and patient host. I am certain we will stay at the Metro Hotel and Cafe again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Debra H
Reviewed April 14, 2013

What a nice surprise in Petaluma.

We discovered this hotel online. My teenage daughter, a very tough critic, picked the Metro. We weren't disappointed. The location is perfect.

We were met at the door by Jake who gave us the grand tour. We enjoyed our suite, the coffee and the muffins. The bed was comfortable and although the room needed a little TLC (the building is old), it was very homey.

We will always stay here whenever we are in Petaluma.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Martin G
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Metro Hotel and Cafe was easy to find with ample off street parking. The hotel staff was very helpful as we checked in, giving us a map to local places to eat that weren't too far away. Then we were surprised to be upgraded to a two bedroom suite! The decor was very nice and the rooms were large. The Metro Hotel also has a kitchen that can be used by guests as well as free coffee and baked goods in the morning. Overall our stay was absolutely amazing and we will definitely be going back in the future!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ocksford
Reviewed April 9, 2013

A lot of things about the Metro Hotel are red - including much of the exterior wall, a prominent canopy, frames hanging on the walls, and the rugs. The interior of the room was, thankfully, off-white and sober. :-)

This hotel is in a heritage building, which I think was a house. No elevator, spiral steps, and a gravel parking-lot (take care to align the center of your car with the marking) may not impress at first sight, but there's only one flight of steps to deal with. Also old-fashioned are the keys to the rooms. (Do not drop them in the blue box unless you're ready to check out! Also, the door to the room doesn't lock itself as you shut it - at least, I didn't think so.) They do support late check-ins and Ron, who checked us in, was friendly and informative. If you arrive late, pick up the red (no surprise!) phone-receiver by the front door and let them know.

I think, but am not sure, that all rooms are on the second floor (by the American floor-numbering system).

The location is a few hundred yards from the busy section of Downtown Petaluma. It's an easy walk to restaurants such as Central Market (highly recommended!) and an even easier walk to the Thai restaurant (Sea) next door. Not much street noise gets in the rooms at night, although you can hear some...

The beds are comfortable and there's enough other furniture in the room and lots of closet space (and, of course, wine-glasses). Even the suite does not look _very_ spacious, in terms of square-footage, but it's certainly roomy enough.

There's a Parisian theme that runs through the entire hotel, including French radio playing in the cafe/lobby area. (It isn't a real cafe - there's no breakfast served, but whatever is available is available in plenty and throughout.) They have Peet's coffee, and tasty muffins, available in the lobby-cafe, 24 hours a day. The coffee is made with paper-filters - it's decent! The muffin flavors change every day. There's no coffee-maker in the room, but the lobby-cafe also has a microwave-oven and refrigerator and sink.

Their service is quiet and efficient - an almost Jeeves-like 'shimmering in and out'! You don't know when the supplies in the cafe are being replenished, but they are, even in the late nights. Someone is doing the dishes that the guests are leaving by the sink. The cleaning of the rooms is, likewise, perfect - none of your stuff is disturbed. (And I didn't see a 'Do not disturb' sign for the door.)

They are generous with towels and even the toilet-paper is of good quality. I didn't try their shampoo and body wash, therefore can't comment on them. There's a magnifying mirror for shaving, and a hair-dryer. The shower is an old-fashioned, smallish bath-tub with a shower fitted in and a shower-curtain that can go all around it. The water gets hot quickly, the controls are refreshingly-simple, and it works rather well.

All in all, if you picked the Metro because it's a good non-chain-hotel option in Petaluma, you would've made a good choice. If you even merely glanced at the prices of a night's stay in San Francisco, just 40 miles south, you'd know this hotel is very good value.

Room Tip: The suite should be an excellent, reasonably-priced option for a small family. There's even a pr...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AverageTraveller1
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I absolutely loved my stay at this little hidden gem! I stayed in the main hotel while I was visiting friends. I primarily chose the location because it was within walking distance to downtown Petaluma (restaurants, theater, etc.). I was so pleasantly surprised with everything about the hotel. First, it's definitely one of the only hotels that is close to downtown. Next, it's completely affordable. I was staying by myself and felt completely safe and comfortable. My room was adorable and cozy and had everything I needed and was clean as could be. It has more of a B&B feel as someone mentioned before but doesn't serve meals (they have free coffee and pastries in the mornings). There's even a common kitchen area if you want to keep leftovers or need to heat something up in the toaster oven or microwave. There's a great little area downstairs to just sit and chat in the mornings or evenings. I didn't have any problems with water temperature as other reviewers mentioned - the water was scalding if you wanted it to be. It's an old Victorian house set in a residential neighborhood along one of the main streets in Petaluma (main street in a small town) so if you're an extremely light sleeper probably not the place for you. Actually, I heard the neighbors mowing their lawns more than I did the traffic as I slept in one morning. In fact, it was extremely quiet the whole time I was there (Thursday through Saturday). Maybe it was the fact that the folks that stay and work here are extremely courteous of others. My only hiccup was parking. I got in a little late one evening and the parking was full. I was a little nervous if I could park overnight on the street, and it turns out I was so it ended up not being a big deal. Next time I'm in the area and have to visit friends I'll definitely stay here!

Room Tip: As other mentioned, if you're sensitive to noise, ask for a room that's towards the back of...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank OrngJuz376
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
Hotel Petaluma
El Pueblo Inn
El Pueblo Inn
#3 of 11 in Sonoma
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa

Been to Metro Hotel & Cafe? Share your experiences!