“so cool!”
Review of Metro Hotel & Cafe

Metro Hotel & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Petaluma
Reviewed December 6, 2011

My husband and I live in the bay area, and wanted a weekend away not too far.
Despite this being wine country, we're not really into the "wine scene" and the pseudo tuscan style that's prevalent in Sonoma/Napa area, and the Metro Hotel did not disappoint.

Don't let their kooky website throw you off, to think it's pee wee's playhouse (which is actually what I expected, and was okay with staying in pee wee's house before we arrived).

It's such a cool building to begin with, a renovated old mansion, and then the interior design is so unique, and intelligently chosen.

It's in walking distance to downtown Petaluma, so we didn't have to chose a designated driver at the restaurants, we just walked.

I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: There are airstream trailer "rooms"(!)
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I've stayed at the Metro twice, and I have to say, it's a lot of room for your buck. So comfy that it's hard to pull yourself out of the big fluffy duvet and do the sightseeing you've planned.The ambiance is clean and serene.

The atmosphere is laid back and informal, but for some of us, that's exactly what we're looking for. My main purpose for the weekend was to hole up and write, and I couldn't have picked a more perfect place to do it. I plan to go back, and am even talking some family members into joining me.

Room Tip: Room at the back was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2011

First the positives- lots of charm and character, shabby chic type decor and decent bed and pillows. Excellent walkable location for downtown Petaluma. Now the negatives - the room was too hot and there was no temperature control to adjust it. We opened the windows but due to the location on a busy main street, it was very noisy. I was excited to see a commercial espresso machine in the downstairs sitting room but that is just a teaser as no espresso drinks are actually ever served. Instead the machine is just a place to store the small cups. Guests make their own drip coffee with instant hot water and filters with ground Peets coffee. The water wasn't hot enough and the coffee was marginal. The tea selection consisted of green tea and Good Earth spicy tea only. The hotel supplied some thin slices of a Costco type tea bread and nothing else. If you stay here, skip the coffee and go to Acre Coffee, Della Fattoria or the Bovine Bakery, all close by.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank bargain_hunter46
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Seeking a change from the formulaic 'brand' hotels dotting the Cali countryside we were referred to the Metro by the staff at Petaluma Visitors Bureau. On Petaluma Blvd South, a mere 5 minute stroll to the historic downtown area, we discovered a converted mansion with a distinctive Parisian feel.

The Metro (named after Paris' underground rail network) is a true reflection of the owner/operator's passion for all things Gallic; right down to a delightfully insouciant approach to the comings and goings of houseguests. Decor and furnishings are straight out of a Parisian Vintage store and the laid-back approach of management and staff reflects a joi de vivre unfound in most types of traditional lodging.

Rooms are well-furnished, WiFi enabled, and come with the occasional quirky embellishment reinforcing the Metro's cheeky vue du monde. Beds are soft, large and draped in cloudlike duvets. Bathrooms feature claw-foot baths and steamy showers and rooms generally overlook a pretty outdoor jardin dotted with tables for the casual enjoyment of Sonoma's finest. Despite the building's heritage and timber flooring, we were pleasantly surprised at the quietness and serenity felt when tucked up under the covers.

The very passable Sea Thai restaurant is on the corner and several dining/drinking options within a short stroll of the Metro. Naturally, off-street parking is provided at no additional charge.

Breakfast is a self-service affair in the casual ground-floor cafe where real coffee can be made, pastries nibbled and international friendships forged to the familiar soundtrack of Parisian angst warbled by the ubiquitous Edith Piaf.

1  Thank Garry B
Reviewed November 17, 2011

NEVER AGAIN!

I spent one night at the Metro Hotel and I learned my lesson-NEVER AGAIN!!!!
I arrived in the evening and I could not find anybody for check-in.
Luckily I found my key in the so-called blue box, with a poor description of how to get to my room. The TV did not work and the room smelled like mold.
You don't have even a phone in your room, there is just one phone at the front door if you have a problem. That means you have to walk all the way to the front door if you can't handle a problem yourself--BAD SERVICE!
So I had to walk to this phone at the front door and tried many times to get a hold of somebody-went right to voice mail--No answer. Finally, someone answered the phone and said that is kind of late and not possible to fix the TV or to move in another room, because the hotel is fully booked. I was so upset.........................
I also noticed most of the furniture is dirty and is falling apart. They call it "quaint," I call it delapidated.
This place is a dump!
The next morning, there was supposed to be breakfast. All there was coffee that I had to make myself, and the remnants of pieces of dried muffins. No use complaining--no one was at the desk. My worst experience ever in a hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Sonoma4ever
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I felt like I had magically been transported to a quaint inn in a small French village . . . except for the 42-inch flat screen TV in the room. Although the hotel was full the night we stayed, it was very quiet. The coffee in the morning was superb -- brew it yourself; so, it can be as strong or weak as you like. The desk clerks were very friendly and helpful. Our room was decorated wonderfully with all the amenities provided (hair dryer, iron and ironing board, etc.). If possible, I would give a 4.5 rating; the only drawback being the lack of water pressure in the shower. Can't wait for another excuse to spend one or two nights there.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor overlooking the garden, and that was delightful.
1  Thank Kathy L
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I was visiting Petaluma and found it hard to find a decent place to stay. I found a few chains along the 101, but for only a few bucks more I found this treat. The rooms are perfect in size, beds are super comfortable, morning coffee and pastries are included. Besides having terrible television reception, the time there was really great. Plus it was only a few blocks down from the downtown area where all the restaurants, bars and entertainment can be found.

1  Thank Ryan M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
Hotel Petaluma
#3 of 11 in Sonoma
Rodeway Inn Wine Country
Rodeway Inn Wine Country
#7 of 10 in Rohnert Park

Been to Metro Hotel & Cafe? Share your experiences!