“Excellent stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Excellent stay!”
Reviewed April 2, 2007

We were visiting friends in the area but needed a dog friendly hotel since our puppy is too young to leave in a kennel and are very happy we schose the Sheraton. We were upgraded to a deluxe room, view of the Marina, since we are Starwood members. Room was very quiet, did not hear anybody else at all and we know there were folks on either side of us. Hotel staff was excellent. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. We knew of the proximity to 101 since we used to live in the area but for our stay it was a complete non-issue for any noise. We'll happily stay there again.

• Liked — Good location to wine country, pet friendly, excellent service.
  • Disliked — Nothing specific
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nparmelee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed February 19, 2007

This is a 3 star hotel striving for 5 star status. The bell-hop was cute, and treated us as if we were in a Beverly Hills 5-star Hotel. He greeted us every day (by name) at the hotel lobby. The front desk staff was top notch. For $20 they upgraded us to a Jr Suite. The room met all our expectations, including view and balcony of the so-called marina. So ask if upgrading is available when you arrive. The other posting was accurate, central reservations will tell you that the club lounge hospitality food and drink service is available on the weekends, but it is not. Don't stay on the club level if you are there over Fir/Sat. I would have given this hotel a 5 star, but the hotel restaurant staff frustrated me.

The same kitchen cooks for the restaurant, in-room dining, and the bar. They had a 100% Angus beef 1/2 lb burger that just sounded perfect! The waitress in the restaurant said no problem, then the head waitress came back and said I would have to go to the bar or order room service to get the burger, it wasn't available in the restaurant. Critics always say the sign of a good restaurant is one that will make anything within reason for you. Now come on, same kitchen and same cooks in the same hotel. The hotel staff apologized and also felt it was wrong. Otherwise the food in the restaurant is very good.

Don't let the area of PETALUMA scare you. This is a great little town. It is like Ventura, CA without the ocean and more things to do. The people are friendly with really great restaurants, antique stores, day spa's, and wine tasting. The hotel is 15 min from downtown Sonoma, wineries, tasting shops, and a 25 min scenic drive to the coast and Bodega Bay.

This hotel is a perfect inexpensive centrally located spot for the wine country! I highly recommend this to all my friends over an overpriced B&B or hotel in the heart of Sonoma/Napa.

• Liked — Centrally located, Great little town. Quiet!
  • Disliked — The needs of the customer didn't come first with the Restaurant staff.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wkrik
Central California
Reviewed November 28, 2006

We stayed at this location for the Thanksgiving Holiday. My sister lives in Petaluma, so I'm familiar with the area and found this hotel to be quite comfortable and a real steal compared to comparable accomadations in Sonoma, Napa or the Bay Area. All of the staff, from the check in staff to the housekeepers, were polite and very friendly. Our rooms were squeaky clean, the bathroom was spacious for a hotel and it was quiet. My husband found the mattress to be "too hard", but I was comfortable. My only complaint was that the hotel was billed as "100% Smoke Free", yet I still smelled a strong aroma of smoke in the hall outside of our room, but fortunately not IN the room. I can't comment on the dining services at the hotel, but know all the great spots to enjoy, wonderful food and wine in Petaluma, thanks to my sister. I urge visitors to get out and explore the town beyond the hotel grounds. There is an abundance of shopping and wonderful dining. We will surely stay again next year!

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank cdom01
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 18, 2006

Booked the Sheraton thru the Sheraton itself. I was offered a standard room for 150/nt or a "club level" for 199/nt. I was told that the club level had complimentary wine and hors de eavors every night, plus a breakfast and a balcony room. When we checked in we were told that the cocktails and hors de eavors were only offered Sun-Thurs. We were staying on Fri and Sat! When I told them that someone directly at their hotel had offered this to me, they said that I could speak to a manager in the morning. We proceded to our room, which was nice, but was not a balcony room as I was told club level receives.

The next morning, we went to get our breakfast, less than an hour after it opened, and everything was picked over and not replenished the rest of the time it was open. We then went to talk to the manager, and the only option he would give us was to give us some extra Starwood points or complimentary breakfast. I didn't understand this, given that we were already paying for breakfast on the club level!!! We couldn't use the points because we don't normally stay at a Sheraton. When I told him this, he said he would look into our account. After agreeing to this, he started to walk away. I had to call him back to tell him who we were so that he could "look" into the account. (This tells me he wasn't planning on it at all.)

We went about our day, and came back to find a new manager, who told us the same thing....breakfast on the house. We decided to wait until the morning of checkout to deal with the original manager. The next morning, he still only offered breakfast, even after we said no. He finally asked us what we would like him to do. Of course I said "credit our account for a standard room, since we were offered nothing for club level that was promised!" When he then went to look into the account at check out, he said that we were "misquoted" the club level price, and that it was really 179.00, instead of the 199 we were quoted, so he didn't owe us as much money as we thought. I really felt like we were constantly given the runaround. We finally gave up and agreed to take the adjusted price of 70 dollars vs. the 100. I plan on contacting Sheraton about this, because it just seems to me like not only could they not get their stories straight while giving me the runaround, but they were very unhelpful when they saw an unhappy customer. On a side note, the property is really nice, and the rooms were great, too....very comfortable beds.

• Liked — Rooms were great
  • Disliked — Management not helpful at all
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't get the Club Level!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mookiebear
Florida
Reviewed October 15, 2006

Stayed here for three nights in October and most everything was perfect. The location is near enough to wine country to be appealing, but the value compared to Napa & Sonoma area properties is good.
You get a big room with a comfortable bed. Common areas were spotless.
Service was excellent. We requested a quiet room. Two front desk folks "dickered" over which room would be best. We had a first floor room overlooking the Marina and it was wonderful. We hardly knew there were other people in the hotel. Yes, you can see the freeway bridge from that side of the building, but you can barely hear any traffic noise outside, let alone in the room.
The adjacent wetlands have a path where you can exercise & see wildlife if you desire.
Housekeeping was very good. The room was very clean and well kept.
It's true that there is no where in walking distance for dinner (other than the hotel restaurant) but it's a short trip by car to the main area of Petaluma and numerous restaurants.
The drive to wine country is not a long one and it is a nice one. You can take 116 East right from the hotel and get to Sonoma in about 30 minutes after a lovely drive through the countryside.
This place is a winner and I would go back.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mortravel
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed October 14, 2006

Located in Petaluma, a not-so-great town about 15 minutes from Sonoma and thirty minutes from the heart of the Russian River Valley, this larger-than-expected hotel served as a good, clean, and modern base for exploring wine country.

The rooms are well sized and extremely clean, with comfortable beds and a curved shower rod in the bathroom.

The pool and hot tub areas were clean and provided a nice place to take a dip after touring the Wine Country.

The staff were friendly and accommodating, allowing us an early-check-in with no questions asked.

All in all, this is a good place for folks looking to spend a night or two in Wine Country without spending 300 a night on lodging. Of course, if you are looking for a truly luxurious and romantic getaway, there are better choices, but this hotel serves its purpose very, very well.

• Liked — The clean, comfortable accomodations. The bargain prices relative other spots in Wine Country.
  • Disliked — The town of Petaluma
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank qaz123
SF bay area, CA
Reviewed September 24, 2006

I received a very good rate from Sheraton's website for the Sonoma Sheraton in July 2006. The hotel was clean, quiet and the people working there were friendly & helpful.

We had no problems with our room, all our key cards worked fine and even though our room faced the parking lot, it was very quiet. The room was big, perfect for the 4 of us and 2 big luggages. The bathroom was clean and roomy. I had forgotten my toothbrush but a quick trip downstairs to the sundry store solved the problem (they gave it to me for free). The bed was extremely comfortable, we had a really good nites sleep that night!

We tried the restaurant in the lobby and it was excellent. Although it was a tad bit overpriced, the food was delicious. Our waiter (I wish I asked for his name) was so friendly and had a vast knowledge of wine.

The location is right off the 101. There are no restaurants or anything next to it (just some local businesses) so if you do not feel like eating at the hotel, you'll have to jump in your car and head down the road a few miles.

There is a pool, but it faces the restaurant so some people may be uncomfortable having people watch them as they swim. The marina is a nice touch, we walked along it after dinner.

It was about a 20 minute drive from Infineon Raceway. I believe the Petaluma outlets are nearby also. Didn't get a chance to go, next time I will!

• Liked — Convenience to the Freeway, Friendly Staff
  • Stayed July 2006
3 Thank SJhulawahine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
Best Western Petaluma Inn
Metro Hotel & Cafe
Metro Hotel & Cafe
#1 of 8 in Petaluma
Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center

Been to Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma? Share your experiences!