“Issues with housekeeping and a bad mattress made for a less than great stay”

Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Petaluma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I've stayed at this Sheraton several times over the last few years and unfortunately, it's gone from being very good to barely above average.
My last two stays I've had issues with housekeeping... the attitude of the cleaning staff AND the quality of their work. I am very, very sympathetic to people who clean hotel rooms... I can only imagine how HARD a job it is. But on my last visit, the housekeeping staff was not only not doing their job, they were downright unfriendly to me at best and slightly hostile at worst.
On both days of my stay, 5 or 6 housekeepers would gather on the third floor right around the corner of the elevators at various times, hanging out, drinking various energy beverages, essentially having an employee party with their giant carts blocking the hallway.
Each time I tried to say hello while I tried to squeeze by and got zero response (except from one very sweet, pretty, rather short maid... I only use her size to differentiate her). No one bothered to move their carts to make it easier to get by them. It was unpleasant and not what I would expect in a Sheraton or similar level hotel. I've never EVER gotten a vaguely hostile vibe from a hotel cleaning crew before, but I got it from them.
After they broke up their "party," there actually was more garbage and debris on the carpet than before they arrived. They left a mess in the hall. It was obvious. And it stayed that was for two days. As I was leaving the hotel, I encountered a dirty carpet on the lobby level (again, it was dotted small bits of litter and had been for my entire stay) and an unattended cleaning cart right in the middle of the corridor in front of the elevators. I've never seen this in a hotel. Whoever is managing housekeeping (and possibly the hotel) is not doing their job. This is a sloppy, undisciplined crew and they make a bad impression on guests.
Beyond staffing issues, my mattress was hard yet saggy at the same time (I had to double up a comforter and put it under my sheets to plump it up). The decor is holding up fine, but the window latches were broken and the wallpaper in the bathroom was stained.
This hotel used to be the best option in the Petaluma-Rohnert Park area but it's slipping. Hopefully, it won't slip too much farther. It's an attractive hotel with plenty of free parking on a nice little marina with easy access to the 101. I have always enjoyed staying here and hope that management at the hotel reads this review and starts doing their job.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Andrew W
David S, General Manager at Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Hello Andrew,

I really appreciate this detailed review. Although your comments are disappointing, they are very helpful. I have met with our Housekeeping Manager and discussed the issues you have raised and we have followed up with the staff in question. We will have continued follow up in the weeks ahead to insure we do not have a repeat of this type of experience for any guest. Thanks again,

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Had a room with a view of the docks very nice the if the breakfast wasn't I still would had breakfast there the food was delicious and plenty of it the price seemed a lot but the amount of food we got was more than enough for the price our waitress was awesome too the hotel staff also was great and very nice and helpful

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My husband and I spent four nights here and each night we were comfortable and happy with the cleanliness and modern feel of the hotel. Check-in and check-out was smooth and the employees were very courteous. We did get room service one morning for breakfast. It was okay but nothing to rave about. If you have the option - venture out and eat at a local bakery or restaurant. We would definitely stay here again as we've always been comfortable with Sheratons. The location is very convenient to the 101. If you're visiting wine country, it is a bit of a drive to Napa but nothing outrageous.

Room Tip: Beds are great!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We booked a club room here at short notice following the failure of another hotel to honour our reservation due to re-construction.The accommodation was excellent with use of a club lounge with internet facilities.The room was on the fourth floor. Evening meals were well prepared and the server was excellent.We became quite friendly with her.Ah! the optimism of youth.Hope she does well in her career.
At breakfast again the food was excellent but the service slow and servers were either morose or abrupt. I had to make a request for orange juice three times-how difficult is a glass of orange juice?
Service was especially slow the second morning. All I asked for was two boiled eggs and toast.Luckily our return flight from San Francisco was not until late afternoon so I could afford to be a bit relaxed about it but in other circumstances I think I would have had to complain.
Matters were not helped by a false fire alarm which caused anxiety to may guests including the mother of two young children in our corridor.We never had an explanation or apology.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello emmanbee,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. Your comments regarding our breakfast service are especially helpful as we have some newer staff and this is specific feedback that can be used in follow up training. Regarding the fire alarm, we had a water leak that shorted a detector, thus setting off the alarm. I apolgize for both the disturbance and the lack of communication afterwards. Thanks again, constructive feedback is always helpful in improving our service in the future.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

-first room, a regular size room, there was a tiny bit of toilet paper on each roll and no extra roll in the room...obviously not good service
-bed was hard and pillows were old and lumpy
-second room, a upgrade...the bed was much better as well as the pillows...so the suites get better quality items? that does not seem "right"...I thought the sweet sleeper quality was supposed to be in all of the rooms...
-club room in this facility had better food items than most, we have found when a hotel has a in house restaurant the club lounge is better and that was the case here...however, lots of kids in this club lounge and the kids put their hands on food that others were going to eat, not very sanitary, the coffee station was too crowded and sometimes there was a long wait
-We had some issues with our stay, no manager on duty, scattered staff, no one knew what the other ones had said/did. Notes left did not get to the next in line. Too many misunderstandings and too much of our trip time taken trying to resolve hotel/SPG mistakes.
-The location was perfect for us however we would not stay here again.
-We find it annoying when management reads reviews and comes on with a blanket "give us another try" to people who had issues. We tried to talk about our concerns with numerous different staff and no one seemed to care. The attitudes were poor overall and it was as if we were being "yes'd" with no intent to do anything. Words did not match behavior.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the bay is pretty however those boats can be loud late at night so weigh your optio...
Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ann C

Hello Pat,

I appreciate your detailed comments and I'm sorry we did not get a chance to meet and discuss your concerns during your stay. To reply to a couple of points:

The quality of bedding, toiletries and amenities placed in all rooms is the same, whether a standard rooms or suite. If you see this reply, please let me kow which room was your first room so that corrections can be made.

Regarding our Club Lounge, yes, sometimes it has a large number of younger visitors and the Lounge does get busy at peak hours. Our staff do their best to "manage" the kids but this is often not possible and leads to the disappointment of other guests.

I am sorry to hear of the poor communication between staff. This is something we usually do very well but some of our newer staff members are still in training and obviously need to do a better job in this respect. We have Managers on Duty every day, including weekends; he or she would have been glad to speak with you at the time.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable rooms - helpful staff and good food - Situated 45 minutes from San Francisco Airport offering many facilities overnight stay or holiday - enjoy bar area, during the day - time to shine whith young people - children welcome so if you need time around the man pool area' it has has seating outside

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We have done the Napa/Sonoma wine tour before, but wanted to find a nice hotel that was reasonable in price and a good location. We choose the Sheraton since it was very reasonably priced and given that we historically don't spend much time in the room during these adventures, we did not need a fancier resort. A big bonus to this was Angela Lipsey the guest services manager/Concierge. We asked Angela to put together a two day itinerary including winery visits and lunches/dinners.

We could not have been happier with Angela's efforts and we had a great time. I would not hesitiate to use Angela and the Sheraton in the Future.

Room Tip: Use Angela for booking your winery visits
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
Hotel Petaluma
#1 of 9 in Petaluma
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country
Quality Inn Petaluma - Sonoma
Hyatt Regency Sonoma Wine Country

Been to Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma? Share your experiences!