“Owners daughter was extremely rude- needs to learn Customer service”

Volpi's Ristorante & Bar
Ranked #35 of 265 Restaurants in Petaluma
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Berkeley, California
“Owners daughter was extremely rude- needs to learn Customer service”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was at the dinner party and the owners daughter who was in charge was extremely rude to us. We were a party of 15 which would bring about $350 in dinner charges. She was upset and took it out on us. It was extremely unprofessional and put a damper on the whole evening. She should take a course in Customer service. The waitress we had was great and was friendly and courteous. She should train the owner. The food was ok, but we went their to celebrate not be berated by the owners. She threatened to have her 3rd grand mall seizure because of her stress level.

4 Thank CaptainRichardg

Forestville, California
“Extremely rude hostess/owner's daughter”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We all drove long distances to meet for dinner. We had a large party. We were running about twenty minutes late as it was raining and the traffic from the east bay was bad. We called to let them know we would be running late and there was a slight change in the number of guests in our party. The woman on the phone hung up on my mom. When we got there this same woman who was the hostess and said she was the owners daughter yelled at several of us and made a horrible scene in the restaurant. She told us we were causing her to have a seizure. Other customers watched as she threatened to throw us out. We are a polite and gracious group of people. We had all traveled far and we had no idea where we would go on such short notice. This woman went into rage because we were slightly late and because there were a few more of us than originally planned on in our party of fourteen. The food was mediocre and there was no vegan options as they had said they could provide over the phone. The waitress was kind and gracious. One person did not get their food for over half an hour after everyone else had already started eating even though she had only ordered fried calamari. Most everyone ordered full dinners, wine and soft drinks. Most of us have worked in fine restaurants and some still do. The behavior of this woman was completely unprofessional and out of line. We all felt grossly accosted with little recourse. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone and will never eat there again.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Lllewellyngallery
Oakland, California
“Birthday dinner at Volpi's in Petaluma left bitter taste...”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My birthday dinner planned weeks in advance for my oldest daughter with the reservation made ahead of time and guests coming from all over East Bay and other distant places was a night to be remembered, but not for the niceness of the restaurant or quality of food, but, rather remembered for how upsetting the experience was because of preternatural rudeness we received from the owner/hostess.The number of my guests had changed unexpectedly from ten people the night of the party to four more people. I called ahead of time to politely inform the owner/hostess and request more sitting. The owner told me immediately that this was not okay, and left me hanging on my cell phone while she went to see what she could do, however, it seemed-like she had hang-up on me because my cell went dead? Naturally my son and I were feeling flummoxed and uneasy when we arrived. We had good reason to be feeling uneasy because we were met by unhappy family members and guests who each exclaimed how rude the owner/hostess had been to them because of my request for additional sitting. I was shocked and embarrassed, and went up to the owner and offered an apology to smooth things over, nonetheless, I was startled by her ranting and exclaiming loudly so that the other patrons could hear her say, "I don't know what to do with you people!" She went-on to-let me-know that she had had some kind of seizure the week prior and was on the verge of having another one if I dared complain or say anything about her lack of graciousness. We still had so many people coming that we just couldn't leave the restaurant to find another one, so, I suggested to all we stick it out and rise above the woman's tirade and angry out-burst and hopefully things would settle-down. The waitress who finally came over and seated us easily at the extended table for all of us was wonderful fortunately, however, the food was just okay...not even above average, and my pregnant grand-daughter was made to wait until last to be served. Clearly I am not recommending this place in Petaluma to anyone. The owner additionally had the temerity to suggest with faux friendliness upon our leaving to suggest we come back, saying,"I don't hold grudges," This occurring after my having paid a large check amounting to over a few hundred dollars with tax included. Thank goodness we declined dessert there and found ourselves outside on a mild rainy night and heading toward the ice cream parlor where we finally were able to shake-off the bad vibrations and enjoy one another!

1 Thank lizard1288
Santa Rosa
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I just ate dinner in Volpis last night and the food was awful. We had eaten there about 3 years ago and the food was much better at that time. We both felt sick after last night. Here's my breakdown......the minestrone for the Family Dinner was way too salty, over laden with garlic (and I love garlic but this was excessive), and the consistency was too thick. The croutons in the salad were actually hard to bite into. The linguine alla carbonara had overcooked, tough, almost rubbery pieces of pancetta and the consistency was once again way too thick and salty. Only the ice cream was normal. We will not go back. We spent 2 weeks in Italy in June and our experience in Volpis last night was not even close to authentic Italian cuisine that we had...Hate to write this but it's the truth.

1 Thank dante6
new mexico
“Great food...!”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My benchmark for Italian restaurants is Chicken Parmesan, and it might be the best I've ever had (even better than some restaurants in Italy we've dined at)

Visited September 2013