“Intimate out-of-the-way delight”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Santa Rosa, California
“Intimate out-of-the-way delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had soup, hors-d'oeuvres and dessert. The soups were the roasted garlic mushroom and the soupe du jour of gumbo and both were out of this world! We also had the Talmousse and the crab cakes and these were also delicious. We'll definitely be back for the food and service. The main dining area is rather small so be sure to call for reservations. There is also a separate room for groups and perhaps additional seating.

The decor isn't great and the kitchen is in full view - another visual drawback and these kept our rating to four.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Warren B

Rohnert Park, California
“Very good meal for a special occasion!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife took me to De Schmire for my birthday and we had a great time. There were not many people there on a weeknight, but we had a reservation and we got a nice romantic window table. The service was excellent and we enjoyed talking to the employees who shared with us some of the history of the restaurant.
As for the food, it was very good. We had escargot and crab cakes for starters. It was my first time having escargot, but I really liked it and was glad it was served without the shells. The crab cakes were definitely above average. For entrees, we both got one of their specials and they were excellent. My wife had a dish with a variety of meats grilled and then topped with an apricot glaze. I had a crab stuff sole and we really enjoyed both meals. For dessert we had creme brulee and profiterole which were both amazing. For all of this, without drinks, the bill came to around 80 dollars before tip so I feel it was reasonably priced. This is my favorite Petaluma restaurant I have been to.

• Visited January 2013
“Petalumas secret!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

This is the best restaurant in Petaluma! It's tiny, off the beaten path and incredible! I got the chicken Zanzibar which was mind blowing and the creme brûlée is the best in the world!!! Can't beat this place...well maybe if your going to the French Laundry. :)

Tokai, Japan
“Always delicious, usually packed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Great food, lively atmosphere, fun wait staff. The portions are huge and the sauces heavy, so you might want to consider sharing. I always take something home with me, because I can never finish it all. I eat here on every annual visit to Petaluma, and have never been disappointed. Seating is rather tight, and the noise levels sometimes make conversation difficult, but it's really all about the food and preparation.

A bit out of central Petaluma, but still walkable from downtown, if you're a walker. Street parking is always available, but you won't park at the door unless you come quite early. Be prepared to walk a block or two. No a/c, so it might not be the best choice on a warm evening -- or else, go later, when the night has cooled off.

• Visited August 2012
Petaluma, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Family and friends, great night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

I loved the seafood, The dinning room was cozy and familial. The open kitchen provides a sense of home. The portions are large and the service was great.
I had some clients/friends come into town and I really wanted to show them a special place. They loved it and the personality of the restaurant and the staff was like we were family.
I can't seem to wait for another special occasion.

• Visited November 2011