“Beauty in Nature”

Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Camp
Reviewed July 6, 2007

My stay at Costanoa was a peaceful, restful experience in nature. The weather was brisk in the evening, but the fireplace warmed the body and created an atmosphere of coziness inside the room as well as the outside fire creating a warm campfire setting. The room was clean and I especially liked the down comforter. The staff was cheerful in the lodge and restaurant. Both dinner and breakfast was tasteful and I liked the selection of healthy choices. My favorite part was the family of cats that made me feel right at home.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed July 5, 2007

I recently visited Costanoa a couple of weeks ago although I haven't stayed there since October 2005 .. I was truly impressed with the changes ... I attended the opening for the Ohlone Garden which pays tribute to the Indians who inhabited the area .. I also perused the gift shop which has been moved and expanded and has so many unique and wonderful gifts that I thought about doing my Christmas shopping there .. and you could never beat the natural beauty of the coast and the hills so close to the city .. only about 1-1/2 from San Francisco about half-way on Highway 1 between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay .. it is truly a wonderful retreat. ... the improvements to the property have made it a bit more luxurious than in the past .. it's restaurant is absolutely warm and rustic and I can't wait to get back and have a glass of wine at the bar ..

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed June 30, 2007

We recently drove down from SF to attend a wedding thinking we were in for a treat. The setting was definitively beautiful, but still not
all that much to do except a few great nature walks. Nothing much else for the kids to do - and in our free time we wondered what the heck we were doing here.

We stayed in the lodge, for $300 per night and the rooms were pretty good. No TV and a bose radio that got about 2.5 stations. That wasn't
too bad though for a relaxing weekend.

The staff was very inattentive and unprofessional. It seemed that average age of the wait staff was about 16 and they were overwhelmed and not managed correctly.

We first arrived for a BBQ? Which we didn't see and hot cooking. which was cold hot dogs, burnt hamburgers, ok chicken breasts, less than fresh bread. Your basic pickles and potato salid. I braced my wife that thisn't was a foodie place. The desert was brought out in several stages and the guests to were told to wait until the "good stuff comes out", which was 15 minutes later. Nobody waited and people grabbed what they could.

We never saw a manager in the restaruant or the lodge. If that says anything. Our thoughts that this was just a 'California" thing.??

The restaurant served the same two breakfasts, rubber eggs, high fat (but tasty muffins), ok fruit, watery orange juice, and very mediocre
coffee. Our afternoon experience with the restaurant was my wife went in for a "good cup of joe" and ordered a cup which she couldn't drink. The staffer said OH I DON"T KNOW HOW MAKE THIS THING. So somebody else made another pot. Then they asked was that better, my wife responded that it wasn't much better but she could drink it. So they happily gave us the bill. I wouldn't drink that stuff.

If you have a function there, don't expect things like the one water caref to be refilled or much of a choice of entres beside fish and cream sauce and chicken sause in cream sauce. I am not a fan of brussel sprouts which was the main vegatable at the wedding bouftet

Anyhow were were quite bored and checked out after two nights when we
were hoping to stay three. There has to be more to this place. we checked out the shared bathroom/showers which were very barracks like. If you like that thing, but not us.

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank karenandjeff
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We went there for the three day weekend thinking we we getting the nature-comfy camping-spa package. This place sucks. First of all, the tent was dirty and i had to get new pillow cases and sheets to replace myself upon our late evening arrival. Second, the place is pretty much for parents with kids -- nothing bad about it except that then you might as well go to a regular camping, pay 1/4 of the 130$ tents!! and experience real camping. Speaking of real camping, the tents don't have fire pits in front of them. The 'communal' fireplaces are located between bathrooms!!
We spent $200 on 'couples' massages which weren't bad if it wasn't for the fact that the 'spa' is located by the main lobby of the main residence where they decided to vacum the place at 3pm, during our massages...
The staff was however very nice. That was truly the only upside of our weekend.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank xelareihted
Reviewed May 20, 2007

A good friend of mine recently visited from out of town, and we decided to come down here for a brief getaway from the SF madness. We entered with trepidation after reading all the reviews here, but I had stopped here once for coffee and a little picnic after visiting Ano Nuevo Park nearby and it seemed very nice. Besides, we wanted to see for ourselves what it was like. We stayed in one of the tent cabins, and enjoyed it very much. So beautiful and peaceful! I loved walking over to the horse stables and seeing the horses, and loved being so close to the beach. I also thought it was very cool that there was such a mix of lodging options for every taste-RV camping, tent camping, tent cabins, and a regular lodge. the staff were nice and friendly at check-in, but like others have said they weren't very generous with the information. When we went to sleep that night we both wondered-"ooh what time is checkout tomorrow?"

We ate dinner in the Cascade restaurant and the service and food were both good. After dinner we wandered over to one of the comfort stations and noticed that someone had made a fire in the firepit. We sat down with one person there and had a nice chat. We then went and got our bathing suits and went for a relaxing sauna. It was the perfect end to a really nice day.

The next morning, we got up and went over to the restaurant to have breakfast (which was included in the room price). We had heard some not-so-great things about breakfast, but we opted to come here instead of grabbing a coffee and muffin to go from the General Store. What transpired at breakfast was BEYOND anything we could have expected or had ever experienced. The place was pretty crowded (due to some weddings and other large gatherings happening that weekend) when we walked in, and we stood there for a several minutes not knowing whether we just wait to be seated or put our name down on a list or what. The hostess (who looked about 15) never once approached us and I had to go to her to find out what the deal was. She put our name down but said we might be better off going to the general store. we said no thanks, we'll wait. Well, we waited for what seemed like the entire restaurant to clear out before getting seated. I asked our hostess if we could at least get some coffee while waiting, she pointed to the bar and said "there might be some over there" but when I went to the bar all the carafes were empty! Ugh. We sat there for about 40 minutes total, looking at all the empty tables not being bussed and people storming out of there pissed off, and FINALLY we were seated. OUr server was very nice, but I think she was clearly overworked as there only appeared to be about 3 servers total. The bussers looked like they could care less and were moving at a snail's pace. We asked our server TWICE for a carafe of coffee but she never remembered. we had to go to another table to grab the sugar, and we had to stop one of the bussers to get more cream. Where was the manager to oversee the restaurant? I could go on and on but the whole experience was really horrible. I've waited in line for breakfast for 1/2 hour or longer in SF but then once in had a really great breakfast with great service. This hour and a half ordeal was NOT worth it.

Other than that, we really enjoyed our stay and would come back here again. If you're looking to stay at the Hilton or Ritz Carlton then this place is not for you. Basically it is upscale camping with more amenities than a normal campground. I really hope management will take all the comments into consideration because obviously there are some issues that have been going on for a while. Oh and make sure you go into Pescadero and have lunch or dinner at Duarte's and stop at the Goat Lady Dairy for some delicious goat cheese!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank glam72
Reviewed May 18, 2007

After reading the review on this website I was scared I would be disappointed. Some reviews say Costanoa was dirty, the water was yellow, the food was terrible and weddings took up the entire lodge. I have to agree and disagree. I called immediately to express my concerns. The hotel staff stated Costanoa has their own water treatment plant and they do not bleach the water. It is yellow because it is rich w/ minerals (and unbleached), and they also would drink a glass right in front of me to prove there is nothing wrong with it. They said they have a restaurant as well as food in the general store, which could be heated in the microwave. A wedding was not scheduled during our stay. NO TV'S ANYWHERE ON THE ENTIRE COSTANOA GROUNDS. Comments on these points later.

We stayed for 4 nights at the end of April. The hotel was very clean. The location was beautiful. On Friday and Saturday there was a large class of 8-10 year old girls staying with their families. It was very crowded and busy with kids. The first night we stayed in a tent bungalo, since the hotel was booked. It was very cute and comfy with electricity, an alarm clock, a night stand, two robes, towels, soap etc. They have a heated matress but when it is 40 degrees outside it is still very cold in the tent. Short walk to the comfort station, which was clean and warm. They have showers outside and one inside. I only saw one bug the entire time I was there. Make sure you ask for a mountain view.

On Saturday we went to Davenport and attempted to whale watch in kayaks. It is one of the featured attractions. Costanoa said they would have a to-go breakfast at the restaurant at 7am but when we and the others who were going kayaking got there, it was closed. Luckily we broght our own crackers and water. The kayaking tour guides gave the girls a wetsuit and a vinyl jacket so wear a bathing suit and a t-shirt if you are planning on borrowing one. The guys got a vinyl jacket. We started on the beach and had to get thru the waves to get into the ocean so you will get wet. It wasn't ideal weather, the water was choppy and many got sea sick. We didn't see any whales. The tour guide said he saw a spout but the whale went under us. My boyfriend and I began to wonder if we just paid to kayak for an hour in the ocean. They say three hours but by the time you get out there at least an hour has passed. It wasn't such a great experience and if you want to whale watch, I recommend a boat and some dramamine.

We checked into the lodge king room the 2nd day. It was nice and had a fridge and a balcony. The moutain view was the best part. It was on the 2nd floor and directly above where the wedding receptions are held. (Thank God there wasn't a wedding that weekend or our stay would not have been at all peaceful). The most peaceful part was sitting on the balcony so if there was a wedding going on, it would be impossible to escape it. I understand why it disturbed the other guests who included this point in their comments.

We hiked the Ohlone Ridge Trail. Take the Whitehouse Creek Road which you can walk to from the Costanoa grounds. Bring a map from the front desk. We also mountain biked it the same day. Very nice trail but loaded w/ poison ivy.

Most of the guests had checked out Sunday and it was very peaceful to stay Sunday and Monday. We stayed in the Lodge Premium the last two nights. Such a sweet room. Bigger balcony, fireplace, fridge, large tub w/ separate shower. So peaceful. Yes, the water is yellow. If you don't mind sitting in yellow water, the bath was very relaxing. But so is the fireplace and balcony so you have a few choices. And I hope you like the person you're vacationing w/ because you can't drown them out with a TV.

The food at the restaurant is all organic, overpriced and kinda different tasting. We weren't impressed w/ the food . However, the included, continental breakfast was great and filling w/ a large variety of food and sitting by the fireplace is cozy. We also ate at Gazo's Grill twice. It is just a mile or two north of Costanoa on Hwy 1. They close at 9pm so get there early. The live music is very pleseant and the restaurant has a cozy feel to it with a fireplace and a bar.

Make sure you hike Butano State Park. We took the Ano Nuevo Trail (very steep), to Gazo's Trail to Olmo Fire Road to Doe Ridge and Goat Hill back to Ano Nuevo Trail. It was such an amazing hike. We only saw three couples in about 5 hours. Bring food and water. Print out a map before you go. We thought the ranger station would be open but it wasn't so we took a picture of the map posted inside the station and used the picture on the digital camera as our map. You need a map and can get lost easily but the hike is amazing w/ gorgeous views. It was my favorite part of the trip.

I will attach pictures in a few days.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ADVISING_IT
Reviewed May 17, 2007

We've been to Costonoa on several occassions over the last decade. We hadn't been there in a few years, and we were pretty shocked at how it has changed.

First of all, they've converted the lounge area where they used to have a library and ran movie night into a conference room that you can book. So there's actually no public area where people can go to relax, read a book, or play games. The comfort stations are all kind of worn down, things need to be re-painted and the general condition is one of mild neglect.

Breakfast is no longer included if you get a tent site, even though the sites are a staggering $65/night for weekends. They used to serve breakfast in the open area outside the general store, and it was free for all Costonoa visitors. Now they have a full restaurant and you have to pay for all of your food.

I don't recommend this place to anyone anymore, knowing what it used to be like. I don't think we will go back there again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fudy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pescadero
Half Moon Bay Lodge
24 mi away
Comfort Inn Half Moon Bay
Comfort Inn Half Moon Bay
#5 of 8 in Half Moon Bay

Been to Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Camp? Share your experiences!