“This place is just Odd”

Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Camp
Steamboat Springs, CO
“This place is just Odd”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our 2 night stay here found this place to be very odd. Is it a lodge with great views? Yes. Is it an RV park? Yes. Is it a campground? Also, yes. Does it have cabins and permanent tents? Yes again. So it's loud, noisy and doesn't have a pool for the lodge, only a hot-tub. There's one smallish restaurant with a good but overpriced breakfast. As there's nowhere else to eat nearby, why isn't breakfast part of the lodge package? It says it's 'green', charges you a $5 daily 'conservation fee' but has no wastebaskets in the lodge rooms to separate recyclables. It has swapped its light bulbs out for CFLs, but they're so low wattage that you can't read in bed and the rest of the room is a murky void. If it weren't for the heat lamp in the bath, you'd barely see yourself in the mirror. Lastly, the bathroom sink/faucet combo doesn't work - the sink is in too close to the wall and the faucet sticks out so far that you smack yourself in the forehead while trying to put water on your face. And I won't go into the barn doors around the bathroom. Because this place wants to be all things to all people, it does nothing very well. The location is all that saves it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Conifer1128

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The setting for Costanoa is quite lovely and the lodge rooms are very nice and in good shape. Walking around the property though I thought the tent and cabin area looked a bit shoddy- kind of run down and too crowded for my taste. There are plenty of fun and lovely excursions to take in the area- highly recommended are the elephant seals at Ano Nuevo, any walks along the cliffs and beaches, Pie Ranch, and the Beauregard Winery (free tastings for Costanoa residents).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I booked a Cypress tent cabin for our anniversary on the advice of a trusted friend. Before I launch into my negative review, I want to preface by saying we are both camping aficionados and have camped all over the country. I wanted to try something different by "glamping" with a tent cabin. The Costanoa website, Tripadvisor reviews, and my friend led me to believe this would be a romantic and luxurious yet rustic place to spend a romantic weekend. Nope.

To make this easier for you to read, here's a convenient bullet point list for you on why this place deserves 1 star:

• The people camping here seemed to think nature is a place to party in. Do you like to get wasted, blast loud music, and screech? Then you will feel at home at Costanoa. If camping for you is a peaceful activity where you contemplate the beauty of nature, go elsewhere.
• There was a wedding party blasting music until 2 am - try sleeping through that.
• All the tent cabins were within a few feet of one another so you will hear all your neighbor's conversations and activities.
• No firepits in the Cypress area due to "fire hazard" although it's mysteriously allowed a few feet away in the Pine area. You're expected to sit around the communal fire situated right outside the bathroom and listen to toilets flush and doors slamming.
• The restaurant's food is terrible and overpriced.
• The bed in the tent cabin was really uncomfortable.
• Initially we were booked in tent #41 which is right next to the bathroom. When I asked to be switched to a different cabin, they placed us in one that had twice as much furniture, bath products, and towels. Both cabins were the same price. Why?
• The morning desk staff person was extremely rude when I asked her about local hiking trails and places to eat breakfast. She literally sighed and rolled her eyes and acted like I was really inconveniencing her.
• I like children. However, the children here seem ill behaved compared to the children I usually encounter in campgrounds. Be prepared to listen to a lot of screaming and crying. If you're looking for a romantic couples getaway, this is NOT the place.
• This place is WAY overpriced for what it is. I am always willing to splurge for nice accommodations.. but $175 a night for a glorified tent?! These tent cabins are NOT "glamping" ... there is nothing luxurious or glamorous about them.

The Pescadero area is beautiful and charming and worth a visit, but don't waste your money staying at Costanoa. Next time I go there, I'll camp in a state park or stay in a B&B.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank hellohaven
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

The location is really beautiful, just off the ocean, south of Pescadero. You drive up through eucalyptus and arrive on the wooded property. A previous reviewer noted that there's a KOA in the middle of everything and that's my major complaint. Walking back from a delicious breakfast the RVs were pulling out, expelling their stinky fumes. It's an unsightly grouping of RVs, a trailer park in the middle of heaven. You should also know the place is full of kids. Luckily it was quiet at night but until the kids knocked themselves out, there was shrieking, yelling and kids running all over the place. I watched a badly behaved young teen sneak up behind a couple who were peacefully watching the sunset to scare them. I thought he was their son but they'd never seen him before. Just too much running amok. There's a board of really large chess pieces, two feet high. The kids mostly like knocking them over. I stayed in a tent cabin, way overpriced for the size and offerings. It just fits a bed, two night tables and two chairs. they provide two towels. There's an electric blanket on the bed with separate controls for each side. For the money the rental should at least come with breakfast. The communal bathrooms are in good shape and include a dry sauna. There's a country store with some decent offerings including wine and beer. Dogs are allowed in the camping area only.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed at Costanoa in a tent cabin. We were three couples total and had three cabins next to each other. It's a lovely place. Somehow, though we missed the memo that certain tent cabins (the ones around the perimeter of the property with the best views) are not allowed to have fire rings. So we had to lug our cooking and barbecue stuff over to the public area. That was really a bummer.

The tent cabins are so comfortable! They have a cushy bed, electric blankets and a duvet, and a great smell of the outdoors. Most are fairly close to the restroom buildings but check the map provided by Costanoa (http://www.costanoa.com/property-map.html) before booking one. Generally all of the cabins at the top of the map (Cypress and Outer Pine) are fairly isolated. While we stayed in Outer Pine, I checked out Cypress and for those "getaway" times, check out cabins #30 and #50 in Cypress.

You'd think a place like this would be noisy, with kids and campers, but it was very mellow. Strangely there were communal fireplaces in the bathroom buildings. I loved the outdoor showers (although they have one inside each men's/women's section, too).

The restaurant is quite good, with fresh food. The on-site store is chock full of natural snacks and other goodies.

To me, the KOA campground in the middle of the site detracts from the overall ambiance, but hey, RVers have to have fun, too!

You can book horseback rides. We went for long runs on the trails and down across the highway to the lovely beaches and cliffs, often socked in with fog in August. Don't miss Pescadoro village for ollieberry pie and local crafts. It's a pleasant day trip to Santa Cruz, and nearby Davenport has a great casual restaurant. Also, if you are coming down through La Honda, stop and eat at Alices Restaurant in the Redwoods -- the food is great.

I did not stay in a Douglas Fir cabin or in the lodge but they looked very nice from outside.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank advocateonwheels
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have been fascinated by the 'glamping' trend for a while now, so was excited to book a stay in a canvas tent bungalow at Costanoa for me and my boyfriend this spring, especially since Pescadero is only a short trip from our homebase in SF. I booked a tent bungalow in the Cypress Village to have the added amenity of access to the hot tub and sauna.

Overall I have really mixed feelings about the stay. The property is gorgeous and it's own little community with a lodge, traditional campsites, and the canvas tent luxury camping/glamping villages, all scattered around a cute general store and delightful restaurant. The grounds themselves earn top marks in my book.

However, my first glamping experience fell short. The canvas tents are as advertised, if a bit shabbier from standard coastal weather wear and tear (patches, some minor holes and tears) and it was so cozy to pile on blanket after blanket to fight the cold of the outdoors in the comfortable queen bed. The disappointment came from total lack of privacy - the Cypress tents are extremely close together, as close as you might feel as if you were car camping at a regular campground that you pay $12 a night for. The canvas does little to keep noise out, and so while people were respectful we still were fully aware when our neighbors on either side were home, one of whom had young, very loud and happy children who were excited to be glamping. This took away a lot of the romanticism around the canvas tents, and coupled with the (admittedly known) annoyance of having to trek in the dark to reach the (nice) restrooms, was enough to make me seriously question why I was paying over $175 a night instead of something closer to $60 for the experience.

Had the tents been situated to grant privacy to read and relax and unwind in solitude on those beautiful grounds with those sweeping views, I would have an entirely different perspective, but with the layout as is, I wouldn't recommend the canvas tent bungalows to someone looking to test the waters of glamping, it is simply not worth the price. If I went back, it would be the lodge or the reasonably priced standard campsites.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tory L
Fremont, California
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have never been camping before.The idea of sleeping on the floor and pitching a tent did not sound appealing to me. I found this camp when I was looking for cabin tents for camping.This place is perfect. They have a tent camp with bed/ heated blanket for those cold summer pescadero nights with lamps.It's minimal,sufficient.They have fire pits in front of the tents so you can get a fire going and snuggle and warm up with some cocoa.The bathroom facilities are shared for the tent we were renting.The facilities were clean and well maintained. I would definitely go back here.You can take a hike around to the beach, get a massage or go horse back riding.The staff is helpful.We tried the restaurant.Warning :Their pancakes are huge!! I mean really!! I would go back here in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MissB23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pescadero
Beach House at Half Moon Bay
Comfort Inn Half Moon Bay
#5 of 8 in Half Moon Bay
Hostelling International-Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel
The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

Been to Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Camp? Share your experiences!