“Perfect for a weekend getaway!!”

Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Camp
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have never been camping before.The idea of sleeping on the floor and pitching a tent did not sound appealing to me. I found this camp when I was looking for cabin tents for camping.This place is perfect. They have a tent camp with bed/ heated blanket for those cold summer pescadero nights with lamps.It's minimal,sufficient.They have fire pits in front of the tents so you can get a fire going and snuggle and warm up with some cocoa.The bathroom facilities are shared for the tent we were renting.The facilities were clean and well maintained. I would definitely go back here.You can take a hike around to the beach, get a massage or go horse back riding.The staff is helpful.We tried the restaurant.Warning :Their pancakes are huge!! I mean really!! I would go back here in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissB23

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Ok stop in the middle of nowhere. Gorgeous view. This is a super place if you have children in tow...]
Very far to escape for dinner out.
massages worth every penny. Ok oasis on the way down the coast. Hot tub a nice oasis.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had an AMAZING time in our log cabin at Costanoa. The rustic setting, with nice décor, allowed us to put down our cell phones and escape from it all in comfort. Best part for the kids were the hot tub, making smores over the fire, hiking the trails, and climbing a huge cypress tree. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here at the end of July 2013 in one of the pull through sites. The sites are a bit close to each other, but we had no problem with privacy. The people at the RV sites are all very friendly. The back in sites were further apart, so one might consider lodging there next time. The RV sites all have concrete pads which made the sites very clean. We enjoyed all the different types of flowers used to landscape the RV sites. We were close to the comfort stations, the restrooms are very clean and well kept. The garbage bins were emptied every morning, so we had no garbage issues. There is a sauna next to the comfort station, we did not use them. The store is well stocked with basics like milk and bread, and of course supplies for smores. We used our own fire pit, but purchased their wood, a bit pricey, $10 per bundle, but for convenience, it was worth it. We tried to use the shuttle to go to Santa Cruz, but it was being fixed the day we planned to use it. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. We had no cell phone reception, which was okay, it was our vacation. The kids loved the giant chess set and they were able to bike all around safely. Costanoa is very beautiful, but be prepared for fog. There are skunks, but they did not bother us. In all, we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

If you are like me, you tend to breeze over the 3 star reviews as those who are angry, picky-uny or otherwise. Please listen to this review. I am a trusted reviewer on Trip Advisor and a traveler who is fair, yet discerning. I live in the fast paced arena of the Silicon Valley and have been to Costanoa several times, even advocating and scheduling for an off-site with our office. I have returned today for a 2 day visit - a solo retreat this time, knowing and loving the prime, natural location of this facility on a most coveted highway 1 and must say I am in the first 12 hours of arriving very disappointed. What is going on Costanoa? It is not slow, but peak season, and I decided, budget concerns in mind, to book a Cabin King for $179. I am here mid-week, not on a summer weekend and here is what has happened so far: I have already alerted the desk staff about 2 things: a burned out recessed light and garbage, towels that at 6:30 pm were still sitting outside the cabin - this is nature after all - and this kind of thing attracts critters - skunks namely. On my way to dinner I reported the garbage to the desk and probably one of them took care of it apparently. The recessed light is still out. On to the Cascade Bar and Grill. Sat at the bar and wow, here we go. Inexcusably understaffed, asked the bartender about favorites (food, after i asked to remake a drink that was just so wrongly done) and his response was I just started and haven't tasted the menu. Are you kidding me? At these prices? THe service was interminably, and I mean that, SLOW SLOW SLOW. There is simply no excuse for this in such a prime location at the height of summer. I waited to order dessert but just gave up. I came seconds within walking out before the bill came. I had to ask for it, in good conscience. The only thing I can suggest is that Costanoa has sold its soul to all of the high tech companies in the area, weddings, events to make its budget and has no interest in the people who keep them in business in low season. That's people like me and you who might be reading this review. And yes, we do show up in high season as well. The most redeeming qualities so far: guests who volunteer to create fires in the " comfort stations" after I heard a staff person lamely state that no, they probably would not be lit really....and the FOOD, after patiently waiting for it, was really quite good in the restaurant. I will report more on other meals at the completion of my visit. I do hope someone is reading this who has influence and investment at Costanoa, because this is an industry that is competitive in this area. I will NOT recommend you unless you give me a reason to.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
11  Thank revjojo
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The California Coast has many beautiful places to stay and Costanoa is among the nicest. Whether you want to stay in The Lodge, bring your RV/Trailer, stay in a tent cabin, or bring your own tent for camping, there are accommodations to meet your needs. There are numerous trails for hiking along the coastal foothills, or on the bluffs along the beach, or on the beach and among the tide pools, Costanoa offers it all. If you choose to not do your own cooking, they have a lovely restaurant that is open all day. Finally, their general store has a variety of products for campers and some well-made clothing if you didn't come prepared for the cool coastal evenings.

Room Tip: In The Lodge, there are no bad rooms. We prefer the 2nd floor, but we've stayed in different par...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I had some trepidation, due to some negative reviews, but I did set my expectations that staying in one of Pine Village tents was going to be camping, not a resort hotel, and was pleasantly surprised. No issues with customer service (as some had noted), the heated pads on the beds served admirably, and we totally lucked out on the weather. The property is lovely, the 'comfort stations' are pleasantly warm, thanks to those heated floors, and our tent was quite close for the inevitable (for me) flashlight lit midnight trip. Bring your own log/wood if you have a fire pit, or buy it there at a bit of a premium.

Yes, it's kind of expensive, but that's really par for the course up and down the coast. We had one meal (breakfast) in the Cascade Restautant, and it was quite good. We did day trips to Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay Aquarium, and walked to the beach twice. The beach was lovely, and deserted both time; my son and I had it all to ourselves both times, although we did see another couple of folks on the trails. One of our walks, we did a much longer loop, and explored the tide pools on our way back. And, yes, we even played a clueless of games of oversize chess.

Room Tip: If you want to near a comfort station, be sure to ask. Do be aware that it will be a bit noisier. An...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MyShyDi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pescadero
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#1 of 3 in Los Altos
Sea & Sand Inn
Sea & Sand Inn
#1 of 54 in Santa Cruz

Been to Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Camp? Share your experiences!