Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Camp
Half Moon Bay Lodge(Half Moon Bay)(Great Value!)
$246
$219
Official Site
$791
$729
RitzCarlton.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Coastside Inn(Half Moon Bay)
$159
$280
$299
Travelocity
Coronet Motel(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
$129
Hotel Parmani(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
$169
$855
TripAdvisor
  • Fitness center
TripAdvisor
All reviewstent cabinsgeneral storeelephant sealshot tubdouglas firheated blanketssanta cruzcalifornia coasthalf moon bayano nuevo statecamping experiencefire pitoutdoor fireplacerelaxing getawayspa servicesfamily tentqueen bed
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed in the Cypress tent bungalow and it was SO cozy. It's amazing to be outdoors while still enjoying the comfort of a warm Queen size bed. We were here at a chilly time of year but the electric blankets kept us nice an warm. Wish we had a place like this near us in Texas. Gorgeous property in a prime location.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jamiekathryn
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have been going to Costanoa since it opened. Although it had down graded over the years, I still always found a reason to return - the location and those beautiful waves, the outdoor shower, the outdoor fires at the comfort stations, the friendly wait staff at the restuarant. Not any more.

The last few times I have been there the front desk employees have been rude, answering my questions as though they were an annoyance. Also, it's not that clean. The common bathrooms are filthy by the end of the day. The canvas tents have mold on the inside, floors that are not thoroughly swept and the comforter covers appear stained.

They should take more pride in this place that could be so lovely.

Room Tip: Of all the choices, I have found the lodge rooms to be the most well-kept.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank pearl333333
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our one-night stay at Costanoa was accompanied by rain showers and mist that was at once moody and romantic, very suitable for the setting. Costanoa is described as an eco adventure resort, so you'll find all kinds of nods to being 'green' here. Unbleached linens and towels, water conservation, recycled paper products, and the effort to unplug is evident as well. No TV or ethernet, the wifi could not connect me to the Internet, and no cell service which was just fine for one night. We stayed in a lodge premium room, that lists for $195 a night.

All the lodge premium rooms are on the second floor, so we enjoyed cathedral ceilings. We didn't get to take advantage of the large balcony, which is more accurately a deck, because of the rain, but got to fall asleep to the drumming of rain on the deck roof. I was disappointed by the view of the parking lot, but someone has to sleep on that side of the building. The king size bed was very firm, would have to agree with previous reviewer. Lots of comfy pillows, however.

The room description says there is a deepwater soaking tub with sliding doors that open to the view, while in fact, the sliding doors open to a view of the room, not to the outdoors (you'll see this on the room diagram as well on the website). But it was an ample sized tub, much bigger than a standard tub, very nice for a long soak. There was glassed in shower as well, with a fine spray and good water pressure, though the drain backed up. The shower has dispensers for shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel of good quality (a nice, gingery herby smell). Water coming out of the faucets had a slight yellow tint. There is a dispenser for drinking water at the end of the hall, however, which we used instead of drinking from the tap.

Enjoyed dinner in the Cascade Bar & Grill as well (see review).

There is no closet, but an armoire in which to store your clothes, and a mini-fridge resides in there as well. The fireplace contained a single "clean burning" log, wrapped in paper. When I lit it with a match, the ends caught on fire for a while, and then the log sputtered out and just smoldered for a few hours. So that was a bit of a letdown.

Did not hear our immediate neighbors, but every sound in the hallway carried through the door, and we could hear the plumbing from other rooms as well. But it seems Costanoa caters to a market that is not particularly raucous and I suppose families would rather stay in the cabins or larger rooms on the ground floor, so I was not kept awake by outside noise.

My top requirements for any lodging is that it is clean, quiet and comfortable. Anything on top of that is gravy. This venue fell a little short on all three points, but it is in such a lovely location, and all the staff were very friendly, courteous and helpful, that I had to throw on another dot, where I would otherwise give it three in any other setting. Just a beautiful place to get away, but not far from the urban areas, so quick in and out, but feels like another world.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CA78
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The location of Costanoa is spectacular. Right along the northern California coast with windswept beaches, a colony of elephant seals, beautiful wildlife right outside your door. The restaurant is great, the "camp" store is stocked full of great food and fun gifts, and the meeting facilities are good for a group of 20-30. The lodge was a bit of a surprise, though. The lobby is warm and inviting with wood beams, fireplace, etc. and the staff are super-friendly. The rooms are really stark, though! Poured concrete vanity in the bathroom with very little room for your toiletries, minimal decor, industrial-looking bedside table/shelves. And, the bed was pretty hard. I couldn't help chuckling to myself about whether camping with my extra egg-crate foam pad might not be softer.... OK one other nit. There is almost no cell service and a super-sketchy wifi that barely worked, and few outlets in the room for all my gadgets. I know I'm supposed to be getting away from it all, but I was at Costanoa on a business retreat and it was pretty unacceptable that none of us could contact our offices. That being said, the rooms are clean, there's a hot tub right outside the door, and you wake up to gorgeous views of the rolling hills down to the ocean. I would come here again if I wanted to get away to a beautiful patch of coastline, away from all the distractions of modern life. But I wouldn't do a business event here, again, and I might bring my egg crate!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank KirstiS
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Costanoa offers a variety of accommodations, We stayed at the lodge. The room was nice and quiet. The view of the surrounding hills was great. Costanoa seems to blend in to its surroundings, rather than make a statement. The beach is across the road and unspoiled. Not a place for the "wired" person. No TV, and cell phone coverage is very limited to non-existent. We found that to be quite refreshing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends