“Great place, but plan to WALK! :)”

Orange Empire Railway Museum
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Perris
Winona, Mississippi
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great place, but plan to WALK! :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Had the opportunity to visit the OERM, and what a blast. Docent was very knowledgable and helpful. Lots to see, and plenty for children to participate in as well. Make sure to see the grizzly flats section, you will not want to miss it. Barns are only OPEN with the docent. So check in, and have a docent guide you. If you do, you will have access to all barns.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank musjn

Vista, California
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Be sure to visit on a weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We visited on a weekend. We had a docent led tour of the barns; this made the visit that much more worthwhile. Bought the tickets for the train and street cars, they were expensive; but when considering the extent of restoration and ongoing/routine maintenance of equipment and facilities, believe the price to be reasonable. We had such a pleasant visit, that we upgraded our tickets to an annual membership and look forward to our next "weekend" visit. There are a wide variety trains and street cars to walk through. I even got to get into the driver seat of a diesel locomotive (not running of course)....but this was a first for me!

One other thing worth noting: this museum operates predominately on volunteer effort which explains why there's not much going on during the week, particularly given that there are over 100 acres, numerous barns and facilities...so be sure to try and visit on a weekend!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Jim B
Nevada City, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Would have been better if barns were open”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

A lot of the barns were closed when we visited. So, while we heard about a lot of the neat engines and relics they have, we didn't get to see them. Entry to the museum is free, but there wasn't a lot of things to see. There was a little garden area where you can make the different signals light up and make noise, which was neat.

Train rides are $12 for adults, but you can ride multiple times, if you want. They had two trains running the day we went (one diesel and one electric trolley). Both rides were pretty short. I thought the trolley one was the more interesting.

My biggest complain was they said train rides start at 11:00, but they didn't actually get everything ready until around 12:30. So we spent a lot of time just waiting, especially since almost everything was closed up and we couldn't see it. I heard the volunteers saying they had trouble with stuff on the tracks, so that might have explained it.

Its tough to pick a rating for this. Our visit I'd rank as pretty average, but I think it would be excellent, if you managed to go on a weekend, where it was in full swing. So I'll split the difference and go with pretty good. If you are a train buff, however, I think this would be a must see.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank LegoAthos
Temecula, California
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Family Adventure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went for my first time as a small child and I really never get tired of it. I have taken my children and grandchildren many times and now it is my turn to be taking my dad on an outing there. Many great photo ops and the docents are pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Shallwe_danceuai
Riverside, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting museum, but kind of lackluster”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is the place to go if you are a train buff. They have many restored streetcars and trains. On the weekend they run a steam engine. Unfortunately it only goes in a straight line, forward then backwards. The price for the unlimited rides was a little steep, considering how uninteresting they are. The streetcar was a little more exciting, but not much. They also have an attraction where you can learn to drive a locomotive for a whole 10 minutes for $20. The only redeeming quality had to be the gift shop, which had loads of train memorabilia and was pretty inexpensive. Mostly though, this museum if filled with rusted out relics, and in some places looked more like a junkyard than a museum. If you decide to go, go on the weekend, and make sure they aren't doing a special event, or they will charge admission, otherwise it is free.

Visited January 2013