“Not like Spanish Bay R U Crazy?”

The Inn at Spanish Bay
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Pebble Beach
Reviewed July 14, 2007

Stunning location, wonderful resort, delightful staff...a true pleasure the Inn at Spanish Bay is world class... the golf course is Scottish Link stye.. some other reviewers seem to know nothing of Pebble Beach weather, the style of golf course, the route the FREE shuttle takes .. it stops at Spyglass on the way from Spanish Bay to the Lodge, how wonderful the Spa at the Lodge is and what a great job they do... indeed some of the reviewers seem to know very little ? I just stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay for four nights.. without fail every single staff member I encountered greeted me and asked if there was anything they could do for me.. and they were not just faking it.. the room was wonderful.. the bed very comfortable... like every thing else do your homework.. find out about the weather .. the spa opitions.. there are several ...learn before you go you will enjoy it more... by the way, Patty at Roy's in Spanish Bay is awesome eat there once and come back and she will remember what type of toast you like. Oh, they do have internet... USB connection in the rooms wireless in the Lobby.... love it!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank southtripper

Reviewed June 25, 2007

During our first stay at Spanish Bay everything that could go wrong did go wrong. We were extremely disappointed with our accommodations and their service. After returning home, I contacted managment and told them about our stay. They were very apologetic and asked if we would be willing to come back again in the future.

Our second visit was wonderful. The service was incredible. When we checked into the hotel, a representative from the GM's office greeted us with a warm welcome and escorted us to our room. We had a superb view from our room and it was quiet.

We had dinner at Peppoli. Our waitress was fantastic and the food was excellent.

We're glad we gave the Inn at Spanish Bay another try. The second time met our expectations and we will definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linnbada
Reviewed June 15, 2007

It was not our choice to go here however we did enjoy most of it .First the grounds are nice but understated. I realize why Tiger Wood does not like the golf course as it was patchy...I reallize it is expensive to keep up greens in this climate ( it was freezing) Tthe room we had was in the wing we called " the back 40"....It was a workout to get there and had a view of pine trees not the ocean.We liked the size of the room and the fact it had a fireplace and it was quiet.and love the free munchies but no interent!! The food was great !! The weather was abysmal.So I wanted to go to the spa for a couple hours. They said it was a short shuttle ride. haha!! it was a "three hour tour" The spa seemed nice but I was disappointed in the sevice.No one was around when you needed them....I was not happy that there were no products in the shower itself and you had to go out and ask while wet. Also the temperature burned me and then froze me as it was not working.properly..I was really bummed that this spa was not up to par.I felt like I was at the gym.....The service was apathetic but they told us they loaned out cars if you get there early to reserve. It was not worth the expense to me and most people here were ones with money to burn and wanted to be seen..... If youre into hype this is for you country club seniors

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2007

I brought my husband here for his birthday. I have to say we have stayed here before this time we had the complete fortune of meeting Kristen who works late (I saw her twice after midnight). She greeted us with a warm smile and graciously told us about the property which we listened to with much interest. She also told my husband happy birthday to which he was very surprised. She was the only one there, amungst the phone ringing and many distractions by others that weren't paying attention that there were others in front of them, she handled herself wondefully. I asked if the others in my party had arrived to which she said yes. The following evening Kristen saw my husband and I and asked how Pebble treated him. He was in awe that
number one she remembered our names and called him Dr. which most don't and that she remembered what waa planned for our stay. She said good luck at Spyglass tomorrow and don't let the 4th hole get to you. I must say it's people with this caring heart and the fact that I am sure she dealt with several people since we saw her, she remembered. My sons told us that she was very helpful and retrieved lost luggage for one of them. Thank you for making this time such a pleasure and such a memorable experience.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank drgracion
Reviewed May 28, 2007

First off let me say that when you book a hotel that costs $500+ a night you expect it to be a pretty luxurious experience. That given I am simply going to list where they go above and beyond what you expect at that price point and where they fail.

Overall it is a beautiful property with nicely appointed rooms...

Where they met / exceeded expectations:

-Service - Calls were picked up and dealt with promptly.
-Comfort/Decor of the room was good
-All Non alcoholic drinks and snacks were complementary...a nice touch that goes beyond...however as you might expect there wasn't a huge selection of drinks (1 low end oj, 2 cokes, 2 diet cokes and cocktail mixers along with nuts, an odwalla bar and some other snack that is escaping me right now)

Where they failed.
- Charging for internet access ($10 for 12am to 12am) access....why nickel & dime you here?...kinda ruined the goodwill that the free mini-bar generated.
-No A/C in room...while it isn't strictly needed in monterrey and Is certainly ecologically friendly, all the same, I am not staying at the "greenpeace resort & spa", and when paying this money...its by definition a wasteful splurge.... so they should have the A/C available IMHO
-Turkey club sandwich at pebble beach tap room (its all the same company) was advertised as "fresh roasted" turkey....which was actually processed and rubbery.
-Grout in shower was rotted in places and moldy....at this price point they should be going over these rooms with a fine tooth comb (maintenence & house-keeping wise).
-Room while comfortable, was not as large as one might expect out of this level of resort.
-TV was of the Tube (CRT) variety and not all that large.

Neutral:
-$21/daily gratuity charge....on one hand, none of the staffers expect a tip, on the other hand you are handing out a good chunk of change on a daily basis for this privilege...depends on how you look at it.... I actually didn't mind it as I didn't have to think about tipping at all.
- No wireless access in room...although in fairness they did say they were in the process of installing it.

Again no huge beef, just want to let folks know how they are and aren't getting their $500-$800 worth.

Hope you found it helpful.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank tsedg
Reviewed March 16, 2007

If you choose to stay here you won't be disappointed. The rooms are great, the grounds are beautiful and the staff is the best. Even the parking valets are very friendly and helpful. This is a first class operation.

• Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank mj315
Reviewed March 5, 2007

Beautiful location and quite inspiring scenery in every direction. But despite the price tag and reputation, this place was missing the special oomph factor when we stayed. We had a room without any sea view which was a dampener, as they were redecorating many sea view ones. Perhaps I would have felt differently had I had a view. There were free snacks in the rooms, but I would have happily swapped the daily chocolate for a small bowl of fruit. There were also no flowers in the room and so the overall impression was a slightly unloved room lacking in life. The fire feature redeemed the lack of life a bit.. But I felt that the room was not used much, just left clean awaiting occasional guests. The worst aspect was the fact that every night conventions packed the ballroom and overspilled onto the corridor, so that one had to push past and through hordes of people to get to the dining areas. This only affects guests on the right side of the hotel. Nonetheless, it is worth visiting as it is in a special place, but make sure that you stay in the left side and have a sea view. Also note that buffet breakfast only operates at weekends.

Stayed: February 2007
Quail Lodge & Golf Club
Tradewinds Carmel
Tradewinds Carmel
#2 of 25 in Carmel

Been to The Inn at Spanish Bay? Share your experiences!