“not worth it”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Pebble Beach
Orlando, Florida
“not worth it”
Reviewed June 15, 2007

It was not our choice to go here however we did enjoy most of it .First the grounds are nice but understated. I realize why Tiger Wood does not like the golf course as it was patchy...I reallize it is expensive to keep up greens in this climate ( it was freezing) Tthe room we had was in the wing we called " the back 40"....It was a workout to get there and had a view of pine trees not the ocean.We liked the size of the room and the fact it had a fireplace and it was quiet.and love the free munchies but no interent!! The food was great !! The weather was abysmal.So I wanted to go to the spa for a couple hours. They said it was a short shuttle ride. haha!! it was a "three hour tour" The spa seemed nice but I was disappointed in the sevice.No one was around when you needed them....I was not happy that there were no products in the shower itself and you had to go out and ask while wet. Also the temperature burned me and then froze me as it was not working.properly..I was really bummed that this spa was not up to par.I felt like I was at the gym.....The service was apathetic but they told us they loaned out cars if you get there early to reserve. It was not worth the expense to me and most people here were ones with money to burn and wanted to be seen..... If youre into hype this is for you country club seniors

• Liked — food,free snacks
  • Disliked — boring
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Greek first
drgracion
Reviewed June 11, 2007

I brought my husband here for his birthday. I have to say we have stayed here before this time we had the complete fortune of meeting Kristen who works late (I saw her twice after midnight). She greeted us with a warm smile and graciously told us about the property which we listened to with much interest. She also told my husband happy birthday to which he was very surprised. She was the only one there, amungst the phone ringing and many distractions by others that weren't paying attention that there were others in front of them, she handled herself wondefully. I asked if the others in my party had arrived to which she said yes. The following evening Kristen saw my husband and I and asked how Pebble treated him. He was in awe that
number one she remembered our names and called him Dr. which most don't and that she remembered what waa planned for our stay. She said good luck at Spyglass tomorrow and don't let the 4th hole get to you. I must say it's people with this caring heart and the fact that I am sure she dealt with several people since we saw her, she remembered. My sons told us that she was very helpful and retrieved lost luggage for one of them. Thank you for making this time such a pleasure and such a memorable experience.

• Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank drgracion
San Francisco
Reviewed May 28, 2007

First off let me say that when you book a hotel that costs $500+ a night you expect it to be a pretty luxurious experience. That given I am simply going to list where they go above and beyond what you expect at that price point and where they fail.

Overall it is a beautiful property with nicely appointed rooms...

Where they met / exceeded expectations:

-Service - Calls were picked up and dealt with promptly.
-Comfort/Decor of the room was good
-All Non alcoholic drinks and snacks were complementary...a nice touch that goes beyond...however as you might expect there wasn't a huge selection of drinks (1 low end oj, 2 cokes, 2 diet cokes and cocktail mixers along with nuts, an odwalla bar and some other snack that is escaping me right now)

Where they failed.
- Charging for internet access ($10 for 12am to 12am) access....why nickel & dime you here?...kinda ruined the goodwill that the free mini-bar generated.
-No A/C in room...while it isn't strictly needed in monterrey and Is certainly ecologically friendly, all the same, I am not staying at the "greenpeace resort & spa", and when paying this money...its by definition a wasteful splurge.... so they should have the A/C available IMHO
-Turkey club sandwich at pebble beach tap room (its all the same company) was advertised as "fresh roasted" turkey....which was actually processed and rubbery.
-Grout in shower was rotted in places and moldy....at this price point they should be going over these rooms with a fine tooth comb (maintenence & house-keeping wise).
-Room while comfortable, was not as large as one might expect out of this level of resort.
-TV was of the Tube (CRT) variety and not all that large.

Neutral:
-$21/daily gratuity charge....on one hand, none of the staffers expect a tip, on the other hand you are handing out a good chunk of change on a daily basis for this privilege...depends on how you look at it.... I actually didn't mind it as I didn't have to think about tipping at all.
- No wireless access in room...although in fairness they did say they were in the process of installing it.

Again no huge beef, just want to let folks know how they are and aren't getting their $500-$800 worth.

Hope you found it helpful.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank tsedg
Ann Arbor
Reviewed March 16, 2007

If you choose to stay here you won't be disappointed. The rooms are great, the grounds are beautiful and the staff is the best. Even the parking valets are very friendly and helpful. This is a first class operation.

• Stayed November 2006
1 Thank mj315
devon
Reviewed March 5, 2007

Beautiful location and quite inspiring scenery in every direction. But despite the price tag and reputation, this place was missing the special oomph factor when we stayed. We had a room without any sea view which was a dampener, as they were redecorating many sea view ones. Perhaps I would have felt differently had I had a view. There were free snacks in the rooms, but I would have happily swapped the daily chocolate for a small bowl of fruit. There were also no flowers in the room and so the overall impression was a slightly unloved room lacking in life. The fire feature redeemed the lack of life a bit.. But I felt that the room was not used much, just left clean awaiting occasional guests. The worst aspect was the fact that every night conventions packed the ballroom and overspilled onto the corridor, so that one had to push past and through hordes of people to get to the dining areas. This only affects guests on the right side of the hotel. Nonetheless, it is worth visiting as it is in a special place, but make sure that you stay in the left side and have a sea view. Also note that buffet breakfast only operates at weekends.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank 4562
Northern California
Reviewed January 24, 2007

A friend of ours treated us to a couple of nights in an oceanview room with a balcony that opened up to Roys and the fire pit area. I am hardly an accomplished golfer, but I do enjoy playing golf on occasion. I have not sprung for Pebble but I have played Spyglass and Spanish Bay a couple of times. This property is very golf centric so if that is not your cup of tea then you can probably find better properties with better resort type facilities for a more reasonable price. Room is quitely elegant done in soft tones with a fireplace. I don't know if all of the rooms are as nice as the one that we were in, but if they are then it compares favorably with any resort that we have been to. Service was OK but not overwhelming. Maybe a little to do with California attitude which sometimes can seem indiferent(I live in California so I am used to it). Great tennis facility. My wife had to board a shuttle to the PB LODGE to get spa treatment. For $180, my wife was not satisfied with the massage(La Costa & Golden Door Spa are her measuring sticks). I played Spanish Bay and really enjoyed it. Roys on site is great food without the formal atmosphere-that's a good thing. Since we take quite a few vacations to golf and beach resort desinations, these resorts start feeling the same to us. The difference here is the access to truly world class golf/once in a lifetime type golf. I would have to say that without that this place would just be OK. But I don't know if it was because of the resort or inspite of it, my wife and I had a great time here. You can walk to the beach on private paths with is also great.

Stayed April 2006
3 Thank tennisaces
New York, NY
Reviewed June 3, 2006

The staff need to learn from the Four Seasons school of memorizing hotel guests names, requests, special services. Just a bunch of young children running around in suits and a total lack of caring. Turned around for 5 minutes and some staffer had denied seeing my purchase from another store in Carmel that day. Infuriating. He was the only one in the store besides myself and my friend.

Golf course, and views are beautiful, but there are other places to stay in the world that will service your expectations for a supposedly 5 star property.

Truly disappointed in the lack of professionalism. Who is NOT doing the training of staff here? Well, have spread the word to friends and will be happy to spend time elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
L'Auberge Carmel
L'Auberge Carmel
#19 of 25 in Carmel

Been to The Inn at Spanish Bay? Share your experiences!