“Returned to The Inn at Spanish Bay: close to Perfection”

The Inn at Spanish Bay
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Pebble Beach
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Enjoyed a return stay at Spanish Bay after two years away. Everything was as usual understated and close to perfect. Every member of the staff you come in contact with seems interested in making your stay as good as it could be...I love sitting out at the fire pits looking at the ocean ...as others have said I have been fortunate to stay here more than a few times.. I am never disappointed .. the Inn at Spanish Bay has to be one of the best hotels in the world..

Room Tip: An ocean view over the golf course is wonderful
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was one of the highlights of our 25th wedding anniversary trip. The room was amazing with views over the first tee at the Links at Spanish Bay. The hotel itself is lovely with great staff and beautiful surroundings. I had chosen this hotel as they have a piper playing each night as dusk falls and being from Scotland we thought this appropriate. It is very atmospheric as the piper plays (and he is good). We played golf at both Spanish Bay and Pebble Beach and on both occasions the staff at the golf courses were friendly and most helpful. I know this isn't a cheap place to stay but if you are a golfer and have a special occasion coming up there aren't many places to beat this.

Room Tip: We had a room looking out over the ocean which was fab - I'm sure all the rooms are the same ins...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I've been super-fortunate to have stayed at Spanish Bay about 10 times. It may be my most favorite place on earth. The hotel is fantastic. The service is superior. The surroundings are gorgeous. The patio in the evening-with the sounds of the bagpipes floating across the moor, is surreal. Roy's restaurant is fabulous. And Carmel-Monterey is such a wonderful place. Not enough stars to rate this hotel.

Room Tip: The best weather on the North Coast is usually late Sept and October. Ask for a top floor with a s...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jayandteri
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I had a difficult time rating this one. Stayed here in June with 3 other couples and I'll admit, it was a dream golf vacation for the guys so they could play Pebble Beach. In order to play Pebble, you HAVE to stay at one of the hotels, and this IS the cheapest hotel of the 3 resorts available. But at $700 a night for a garden-view (read: parking lot through the trees), I've honestly stayed at better resorts for less money. The buildings were somewhat run-down and old, the fitness center was tiny and the pool was fine but with no food/drink service. The room, while comfortable and cozy (especially with that lovely fireplace and huge soaking tub) did not "feel" like a $700 a night room, whatever that feels like. :)

Now, before I sound like a crabby lady, the positives. The service was amazing from start to finish. The staff (other than at the spa and restaurants) do not accept tips and yet go above and beyond. The shuttle to the 2 other facilities is free and runs continually. The fire pits at the back of the Inn have the most stunning views of the ocean and golf course and there was nothing better than snuggling up in the (provided) blankets at night, listening to the bagpiper as he made his rounds, and sipping our cocktails. There are 2 restaurants and 2 bars on site and more at the other properties so we did not get bored during our 3 nights. We girls enjoyed the lovely spa at Pebble one day and had a lovely time over there. And, as I've mentioned, the room comes with a great fireplace, lots of free snacks and lovely bath products. There is great in-room coffee and complimentary coffee in the lobby as well.

Overall it was a lovely stay and the service is what stands out the most for me. But again, I've honestly stayed at nicer facilities for less money. But, since you have to book tee times a year in advance, clearly it's popular and people are willing to spend the money. Pebble and Casa Palmero are even pricier, so if you are looking to do Pebble the cheapest way possible, this is your option.

Room Tip: At check-in we were offered to upgrade to partial- ocean view rooms for $100.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Oceanchic83
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I just spent two nights at the Inn at Spanish Bay. We played the three courses, Spanish Bay, Pebble Beach and Spy Glass and it was in a word "amazing". The hotel itself is top rate, the room is large and well furnished. They provide some snacks such as, chips, pretzels, candy bar, granola bars, water, tonic, soda with the cost of the room, which was great for bringing some snacks out on the golf course. Had lunch at Sticks at the golf and pool area. Food was good and the view was amazing out on the golf course to the ocean. Can't wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We just spend a very long weekend at the Inn at Spanish Bay. It was scheduled after an action packed week of vacation spent in San Francisco. We were looking for quiet lounging punctuated only by spa treatments and sumptuous meals. This hotel did not disappoint. Our room was very comfortable and well appointed. And since we were trying to just lounge around we actually spend a lot of time in our room and it did not feel like we were on top of each other or that we needed to get out to feel less cramped. Food was good and varied enough so we felt that we did not need to drive to any other restaurant but still be happy with our meals. Most of the time we spent reading or just sitting about. It was so quiet and peaceful. Just what we were looking for!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Freida K
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I took my husband to play Pebble Beach for his 40th birthday. We are both avid golfers and thought this would be a great "once in a lifetime" experience. Was it ever- except it will not be once in my lifetime! What service, what views, and the golf was perfect. We stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay- not the lodge. I am so happy we did. much more intimate, serine, and beautiful place. The fire pits are so wonderful and the bagpiper is a must see! The staff is just wonderful and the service cannot be beat. We played Pebble Beach, Spyglass, and the Links at Spanish Bay. Spyglass was not in great shape and not as nice as the other courses and nothing matches Pebble! The rooms are very nice- not worth what you pay- but you are paying for the name and the golf access. I just cannot say enough about this trip. The resort is nearly perfect and they made it so special for my husbands birthday at every turn. Simply Amazing! I will be back!

Room Tip: Does not seem to be a bad room in the place- we had forest view and it was lovely- we were not in ou...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Quail Lodge & Golf Club
Pine Inn
Pine Inn
#22 of 25 in Carmel

Been to The Inn at Spanish Bay? Share your experiences!