“Guy's Golf Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Pebble Beach
El Segundo, California
“Guy's Golf Weekend”
Reviewed April 27, 2008

Three of us booked the winter stay and play package. We played Spyglass, Pebble, and Spanish Bay. We stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay. This is your dream weekend. The Inn was fantastic with very large rooms. The firepits and bagpipes at dusk just seals the deal. We ate at Roy's and he never disappointed us. We even had a tasting menu dinner and met Roy. Worth every penny!!!

• Liked — Facilities, location, amenities
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Greek first
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed April 23, 2008

The Inn at Spanish Bay has not properly kept up the 20 year old facilities. The mattress was old and uncomfortable, and the fireplace and whirlpool tub did not work well.

I paid $1,000 per night for an Executive Suite that had a view of a lawn (a view I could get anywhere). The hotel's description made it sound like I would have a "spectacular ocean view."

In a world of wonderful ocean suites for $500, and less; this was exceptionally over-priced. My spouse and I were deeply disappointed. A couple of nights into our stay, we asked specifically for an ocean view and a more comfortable mattress. They were unable to accommodate our request. We had to flip the mattress ourselves.

A week after our stay, we were finally contacted about our comment card. The management stated they apologized for the mattress, and they were replacing all the mattresses in fiscal 2008. Unfortunately, that did nothing for our uncomfortable and overpriced stay. Will they be buying similarly uncomfortable generic mattresses to save a few dollars?

• Liked — space
  • Disliked — uncomfortable bed, no view, overpriced
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lafatadelvino
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed March 22, 2008

The Inn at Spanish Bay is set in a beautiful location. Everyone should visit this part of the country at some time.

Hotel is beautiful, rooms are very nice. Bed is very comfortable.

Transportation is easy to use to get around to golf courses and Lodge at Pebble Beach (which has more shopping and more to do than Spanish Bay.) The Spa is wonderful .. it just keeps getting better. They now have a wonderful outdoor sanctuary with a fire pit ...

Do bring your own laptop because trying to use the hotels business center is a joke. They have someone working the area and you must sign in. You are entitled to 10 mins per day of internet usage and then you must pay $5 for each add'l 10 mins you use. I thought that was ridiculous.

Anyway, I prefer staying at the Lodge to the Inn just because I think there is more to do. My husband usually golfs all the time and I stick around the hotel. The Lodge offers more options ...

Stayed March 2008
North Barrington, IL
Reviewed March 10, 2008

Just returned from 5 nights at this property. What a treat! We have stayed at many Four Seasons properties and found that Spanish Bay compares favorably to that experience. The staff was responsive to any request or need. Rooms are clean and fresh with nice amenities including a fireplace. Rooms are kept refreshed throughout the day. All restaurants on property are good to excellent, and dinner at Roy's is not to be missed if you are a seafood lover. Lots of trails for walks or jogging along the ocean. A shuttle service takes you to Pebble Beach, Spyglass, the Spa -- which is perfect if your significant other is spending the day on the links. The workout facilities at Spanish Bay and the Beach Club offer ocean views from the treadmill. Both offer small but adequate selection of free-weights and plate-loaded eqiupment, treadmills, elipticals, etc. to keep you in shape. I played Pebble, as a 28 handicap female, and found the staff and random players we played with to be friendly and hospitable. Was pleasantly surprised that there are many average golfers enjoying the Pebble experience. Bring layers of clothing, as the fog can drop temps from warm and sunny mid-60's to 50 in a heartbeat. Good shopping in Carmel, The Barnyard or Crossroads shopping 15 minutes by car. Recommend dining reservations in advance, as the resort attracts the local crowd on weekends. Cocktails by the firepits at sunset to the strains of a bagpipe were a great way to relax and end a busy day. Enjoy!

• Liked — Service, location, view
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank teeitupbarrington
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed March 8, 2008

Relaxing 48 hours away from the kids. Spanish Bay is a beautiful spot in Pebble Beach. What we liked: can walk right out to the beach. Roy's restaurant overlooking the links and the bay--great food (we ate there 4 times). The outdoor terrace is fantastic--you sit out there, especially at sunset, have a drink, sit at one of the firepits, they bring you blankets when it is cold (often enough in Pebble Beach). The spa is over near the Lodge, but is really nice, really relaxing and beautiful. We reserved one of the lexus convertibles--you get 2 hours, which is a nice way to explore Pebble Beach. The staff was excellent. There were always lots of helpful people around. When I asked guest services for a newspaper alternative to usa today, they showed me their list and I couldn't decide: the gal signed me up for all 3 that interested me. We spent the next morning lounging in our room reading the papers. We like that internet is included. I hate the nickel and diming of some hotels.

What we didn't like: the rooms are very expensive. We had a nice partial ocean view room: but we really couldn't see the ocean. I expect an even nicer room for more than $600 a night. We did have package that included our spa treatments.

Our experience was great.

• Liked — location on spanish bay, and Roy's restaurant
  • Disliked — very expensive
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
SF Bay Area
Reviewed January 27, 2008

This was my 7th stay at Spanish Bay, but my first non-business visit. While some of the other properties at Pebble Beach are more formal and country-clubbish, Spanish Bay is casually elegant. Everything about it is spectacular, from the setting to the rooms to the food to the service to cocktails on the patio with the magnificent Pacific Ocean crashing in the background and the bagpiper playing at sunset. It is spendy, but definitely worth it for a special occasion. If you're not from this area, one visit and you won't want to go home!

• Liked — Unparalleled natural beauty
  • Disliked — Expensive, so I can't go as often as I'd like!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
folsom
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We recently stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay for one night in late December for a birthday/golf celebration. I received an email special
from the Northern California Golf Association for a garden room for $250 per night. The email special also allowed me to play Pebble Beach
for the first time for $350 ($475 regular green fee).

Service: Overall, I would say that the service was very good with a couple of minor issues. When we arrived we were warmly greeted by the
front desk and a very nice woman showed us to our room and gave us a rundown on the property and area. The free shuttle service to and from
the golf courses is a nice touch. Tips are included as part of a resort service fee ($20/night) which I thought was a nice idea so you don't have to get digging into your wallet to tip every person you run
into. The service in the main bar area could be improved on, we ordered drinks while waiting for our dinner reservation at Roy's actually had to have the bill delivered to us in the restaraunt because they were understaffed/too slow. The service in Roy's was just
ok, I usually have better service at the other Roy's locations in the Islands.

Room: The room was very nice, well furnished, enough space, a nice fireplace in the corner. Complimentary water, soda, and candy was a nice touch for the kids and adults. The bathroom area was large enough, separate shower and bath. My only complaint would be that the room was too warm at night, and the only way to cool it down is to open the sliding glass door.

Food: We ate at Roy's, which is one of our favorite places to eat. The
food was excellent, especially the chocoate souffle at the end.
Service could have been a little better.

Location: For anyone who enjoys golfing of the ocean, this resort is ideally situated a short walk from the Pacific. The hotel shuttle will
take you to any of the resort golf courses free of charge (Pebble, Spyglass, Del Monte).

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again if there were to offer a special rate. Living in close proximity to the Monterey area (Sacramento), I would be hard-pressed to pay their regular room rate ($500 plus).

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
L'Auberge Carmel
L'Auberge Carmel
#20 of 25 in Carmel

Been to The Inn at Spanish Bay? Share your experiences!