“Beautiful Coastal Views and Warm Hospitality” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Spanish Bay

The Inn at Spanish Bay
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Pebble Beach
San Jose, California
“Beautiful Coastal Views and Warm Hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I recently visited the Inn at Spanish Bay with a group of golfers who were competing in the Callaway Pro-Am Tournament in November. The group goes each year and over the past few years has stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay. It's a wonderful property with a lovely lobby/coffee/cocktail bar area where one can relax by the warm fire place and read, relax, do a bit of work, or just enjoy the wonderful view of the ocean. There is a beautiful outdoor boardwalk hiking trail that runs adjacent to the beach front and a beautiful outdoor terrace with a fire pit that is amazing to sit by and sip a glass of wine on a balmy evening. This year, I noticed that the staff have really raised the bar on the level of service delivered compared to previous years. Each and every staff member that we encountered during out stay extended a warm greeting no matter what time of day especially the housekeeping department who went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable. Kudos to management for their efforts with staff customer service training! The only thing that was not as good as previous visits was the buffett food for the daily breakfast. The food items were not very flavorable, and there was not much variety offered. It was basically the same items each day and pretty bland. However service in the restaurant was excellent. The room we had was lovely with a nice fire place. The only thing you may want to ensure if you have mobility issues is that some of the rooms are quit far away from the lobby and elevator - so when booking your reservation, be sure to request a room closer to the elevator if this is your situation. Overall, a lovely property in a superb location with warm, friendly staff and great hospitality. We enjoy our stay each year - it's always delightful - highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: As noted above - if you have mobility issues be sure to request a room closer to the elevator. Some...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Greek first
Solana Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Well, value is relative but it's a perfect spot to enjoy the golf trip you're expecting. Some prefer it to the Lodge, or, maybe they just convincing themselves to feel better about not spending the extra $500 per night to stay at the Lodge.

First class everything. Nice resort feel with the entire Pebble Beach vacation feel. Wonderful service, people seemed to be prideful about their life styles in Monterey.

Asilomar beach is right there for the dogs and if you surf this is usually the quickest and most consistent if the swell is lacking.

Can't wait to stay here again. Not in any rush to "upgrade" to the Lodge, but definitely want to be able to compare the two some day.

Room Tip: The upgrades are worth the money. We thoroughly enjoyed our view over the 1st hole to Asilomar beac...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank richterradical
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have visited here many times but never spent much time here, but I was very impressed. Excellent service, great food and menu choices, superb accomodations with attention to detail
everywhere you look.

The location is superb on 17 Mile Drive and quality all around where ever you look. Must be one of the finest hotels in the USA !

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed at The Inn at Spanish Bay on a golf trip to Pebble Beach. We were celebrating a friends 40th. I'm going to return soon with my wife. The service is fantastic. The staff was quick to accommodate all of our requests - even finding a charger for my iPhone as I forgot mine. We had some challenging transportation requests which the hotel easily worked out. The lobby bar was one of our favorite places to hang out. The wine list is extensive and fair. The outside patio overlooks the Pacific Ocean. I'm gold that a bag piper rings plays along the surf every evening, but I didn't see that. Sitting outside after dark beside one of many fire pits was very relaxing. There are a lot of good restaurants to choose from - all sharing the great Pebble Beach wine cellar. The rooms were what you'd expect of a top hotel at Pebble Beach. I've also stayed right at the Pebble Beach Lodge. That is also great, but I think the scenery is better at Spanish Bay. Both places share one of the best spas I've ever been to. And if that isn't enough, the shopping is great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the lobby. It's a big hotel. My room was at the far end of the hotel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
El Dorado Hills, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Inn at Spanish Bay was getting ready for a big AT&T meeting on their property when we arrived. Set up crews were working around the clock for days at some parts of the hotel getting things ready for this large group. Unfortunately construction was going on outside of the room they put us in.

Upon check-in to the room, and hearing the banging and loud voices outside our window, I assumed the work would wrap up at dusk and did not feel the need to complain. But the noise continued throughout the night. We had to call at 10:30 pm to ask that they cease working outside of our room, and when it did not end by 2:00 am we called again. (When I say noise I mean hammering, sawing, clanging of tools/pipes(?) and worst of all, the shouting of the workers to each other to make themselves heard).

I don’t know what makes me more upset - that they knowingly placed us in a room directly by the construction or the fact that they knew this noise would continue for days --and did not tell us the next morning when WE called the front desk again to follow up on this situation.

It so happened that when we called the next morning about the 24 hour construction, the front desk manager mentioned (oh, by the way…) the noise would be continuing again today all day and through the night tonight. What??? Why then did the hotel not (at the very least) call us that morning and tell us about the situation, apologize, and then offer to move us to a quiet location? Why did we have to keep calling them?

We had our room reservations at the Inn at Spanish Bay for over a year with 3 other couples for a very special occasion. The morning after the noisy first night, my husband was playing golf at Pebble Beach with the 3 other men. It was to be a “Bucket List” moment for them all that we had planned for a long time. I was so sad that when my husband finally got to golf Pebble Beach, he went out to play feeling exhausted and anxious from being woken up on and off all night. This, for $700+ dollars a night.

The front desk manager thought it would be adequate to move us to an upgraded room (i.e. same room but with a filtered forest/ocean view) after I called to express our unhappiness the next morning. So I had unpacked the first day, and now I needed to repack my luggage (and my husband’s as he had left for golf), and then unpack us again in the new room. And I felt as exhausted as my husband. How does a room upgrade square us in any way since the Inn (with direct knowledge of the construction hours) knowingly placed us in that room?

As hotel guests we entered into a good faith contract with the hotel when we made our reservation, with an inherent expectation of a reasonably quiet night’s sleep. They not only did not provide that, but they actually had knowledge that the opposite could likely occur.

After much discussion I ended up with a $200 credit towards our room. But since it spoiled not only our night but also tainted our next day, we should not have been charged for the room. But I was too tired and too disappointed to argue any further with the front desk manager.

On the plus side of our stay, I must say that the concierge services for both Pebble Beach Resorts and for the Inn at Spanish Bay are outstanding. Whether it was making up customized gift baskets for our guests, arranging dining or coaching us about the timing and pacing of our activities, concierge services are extremely professional, warm and detail oriented, and may be the best concierge team I have ever dealt with. In particular Nicole Woodson at the Inn at Spanish Bay did a lovely job making our stay very special even though we had a rough start at the hotel.

The bagpiper at sunset is always wonderful treat. But a word of warning; our group of 8 went out at 4:45pm to get seats for the 5:45 pm start and we got the last 2 four top tables. I have never seen the patio so crowded for the performance. But it was a Saturday night in October, one of the most beautiful months of the year at Pebble Beach. Also we all had a wonderful surprise that evening – our bagpiper was female!

If we had not had our negative room experience I would have rated this hotel 4.5 stars. (I wish Trip Advisor offered half points). I am tempted to offer a very low overall score for the hotel. But I must be fair and still give it 3 stars as there are so many wonderful things about staying there.

Don’t make the mistake we did in assuming you will be given a quiet room or that any noise will abate later in the day. Open your window and take a listen before accepting the key and unpacking your bags.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Michaela
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Thoroughly disappointing hotel. Very poor invested property in need of a major overhaul. Food is really poor quality in all restaurants . Anywhere else would be an average 4 star charging 300 dollars per night. Stall elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank matt31
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Stunning surroundings and a very nice resort. All the services you need handled by a most friendly and positive personel. With the closeness to a number of extraordinary golf courses this is the place for anyone who likes golf. Quite expensive but worth it!

• Stayed October 2012
Spindrift Inn
#2 of 55 in Monterey
4.5 of 5 stars 1,845 reviews
Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay

Been to The Inn at Spanish Bay? Share your experiences!