“Beautiful, Relaxing”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Pebble Beach
Santa Cruz, CA
“Beautiful, Relaxing”
Reviewed March 8, 2008

Relaxing 48 hours away from the kids. Spanish Bay is a beautiful spot in Pebble Beach. What we liked: can walk right out to the beach. Roy's restaurant overlooking the links and the bay--great food (we ate there 4 times). The outdoor terrace is fantastic--you sit out there, especially at sunset, have a drink, sit at one of the firepits, they bring you blankets when it is cold (often enough in Pebble Beach). The spa is over near the Lodge, but is really nice, really relaxing and beautiful. We reserved one of the lexus convertibles--you get 2 hours, which is a nice way to explore Pebble Beach. The staff was excellent. There were always lots of helpful people around. When I asked guest services for a newspaper alternative to usa today, they showed me their list and I couldn't decide: the gal signed me up for all 3 that interested me. We spent the next morning lounging in our room reading the papers. We like that internet is included. I hate the nickel and diming of some hotels.

What we didn't like: the rooms are very expensive. We had a nice partial ocean view room: but we really couldn't see the ocean. I expect an even nicer room for more than $600 a night. We did have package that included our spa treatments.

Our experience was great.

• Liked — location on spanish bay, and Roy's restaurant
  • Disliked — very expensive
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Greek first
SF Bay Area
Reviewed January 27, 2008

This was my 7th stay at Spanish Bay, but my first non-business visit. While some of the other properties at Pebble Beach are more formal and country-clubbish, Spanish Bay is casually elegant. Everything about it is spectacular, from the setting to the rooms to the food to the service to cocktails on the patio with the magnificent Pacific Ocean crashing in the background and the bagpiper playing at sunset. It is spendy, but definitely worth it for a special occasion. If you're not from this area, one visit and you won't want to go home!

• Liked — Unparalleled natural beauty
  • Disliked — Expensive, so I can't go as often as I'd like!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
folsom
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We recently stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay for one night in late December for a birthday/golf celebration. I received an email special
from the Northern California Golf Association for a garden room for $250 per night. The email special also allowed me to play Pebble Beach
for the first time for $350 ($475 regular green fee).

Service: Overall, I would say that the service was very good with a couple of minor issues. When we arrived we were warmly greeted by the
front desk and a very nice woman showed us to our room and gave us a rundown on the property and area. The free shuttle service to and from
the golf courses is a nice touch. Tips are included as part of a resort service fee ($20/night) which I thought was a nice idea so you don't have to get digging into your wallet to tip every person you run
into. The service in the main bar area could be improved on, we ordered drinks while waiting for our dinner reservation at Roy's actually had to have the bill delivered to us in the restaraunt because they were understaffed/too slow. The service in Roy's was just
ok, I usually have better service at the other Roy's locations in the Islands.

Room: The room was very nice, well furnished, enough space, a nice fireplace in the corner. Complimentary water, soda, and candy was a nice touch for the kids and adults. The bathroom area was large enough, separate shower and bath. My only complaint would be that the room was too warm at night, and the only way to cool it down is to open the sliding glass door.

Food: We ate at Roy's, which is one of our favorite places to eat. The
food was excellent, especially the chocoate souffle at the end.
Service could have been a little better.

Location: For anyone who enjoys golfing of the ocean, this resort is ideally situated a short walk from the Pacific. The hotel shuttle will
take you to any of the resort golf courses free of charge (Pebble, Spyglass, Del Monte).

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again if there were to offer a special rate. Living in close proximity to the Monterey area (Sacramento), I would be hard-pressed to pay their regular room rate ($500 plus).

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed October 29, 2007

My husband and I stayed at The Inn at Spanish Bay to secure a guaranteed tee time at Pebble Beach. If you do not stay "on property"
you are not guaranteed a start time on Pebble Beach. The hotel is beautiful, but it should be considering what they charge. We had a lovely room with ocean views thru the trees, no balcony. No air conditioning which was disappointing - it was hot for October and the
small windows did not give enough air. The room was well appointed and homey. The staff was well attentive, and the restaurants were fine. The golf courses were spectacular. We played Pebble Beach, everything you think it will be (take caddies - the golf carts have to stay on the cart paths and this is a pain) and Spyglass. Spyglass is not as hard as everyone says it is, just the first few holes. This
is a golf mecca - go and play once in your lifetime. Wish we had a chance to play Spanish Bay. Greens fees are high, but this is an expensive splurge -

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pattiboston
San Francisco
Reviewed September 10, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at the hotel. I was there on business and he tagged along. Although we both had two totally different weekends- his was golf, drinking wine and relaxing, mine was work we both had a wonderful time.

The hotel is very nice, not stunning as you drive in but beautiful nonetheless. It is right on Spanish Bay and through the back of the hotel you can see the golf course and the Ocean.

There are several restaurants on the property however I only ate at Roy's just because it was most convenient and from room service. I know that Roy's is a chain however this was my first time eating at one and I was impressed with the quality of food. Room service also delivered great food for both breakfast and dinner.

Our room was very spacious with a very comfortable bed and pillows. It was great to open the window and breathe the great ocean air as we were sleeping. The amenities are wonderful as I heard they had recently upgraded. The lotion is fantastic.

Although I never sat at the outside bar there is one at the back of the hotel in a wonderful setting looking out to the ocean around fire pits.

The only inconvenience is the spa. You have to either drive or be shuttled over to the Lodge in order to have a massage. The spa facilities there are fantastic so once you are there it is worth the trip however it is some work to get there. I would definitely go back if we could afford the very, very high prices. I guess I will just have to hope for another business trip :).

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank djr76
South Carolina
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay while attending a conference in April 2007. The hotel was fantastic in every way. The standard room was quite large, well appointed and even had a fireplace. The staff saw to every need. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. There is plenty to do in the Pebble Beach area. In addition to some of the best golf in the world, the area has a tremendous wealth of opportunities for all to enjoy. The hotel's Lexus experience is a nice touch - we enjoyed crusing the 17 mile drive in a Lexus convertable compliments of the hotel. I would definitley return to the Inn at Spanish Bay.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank GSPTraveler
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We were fortunate to be able to stay here one night as part of a conference--they were booked solid with many events and as much as we pleaded and begged and checked the wait list, we had to move after only one night. No matter what the price, we would have gladly paid our own money to spend more time at Spanish Bay. And for a place on the mainland and where there is no snorkeling, that's saying quite a lot!!!!!

The service is completely 5-star. Everyone. The room we had was on the first floor, overlooking trees, with a tiny patio. It probably was one of the most "standard" ones they have and we loved it--it was nice to open the slider and hear the birds and hope to glimpse a deer. (We did, but over on the links.) The fireplace was very cozy, bathroom and dressing areas were well appointed. Housekeeping immaculate. The minibar had free nonalcoholic beverages and a nice selection of things for purchase.

Roy's breakfast was great--the Watsonville blackberries and raspberries alone were worth the $20. In fact, we enjoyed it so much that we came back to Roy's for breakfast before heading to SFO. We did not eat dinner at Spanish Bay except for a conference event. That catering was very very good, far better than similar events at, say, the Phoenician. The smoked fish and shellfish assortments were very impressive; the cheeses interesting and well chosen. The local wines were very good.

There are great walks available from the property--to the right, you can walk along the boardwalk and trails to see tide pools and rocks, going to Asilomar Beach and beyond. To the left, you can walk along the boardwalk to Joe's Point (otters frolic there, and you can hear them smashing shellfish with their rock tools!) and beyond. We did not have time to go over to Pebble Beach this trip.

The weather was misty/foggy alternating with sun later in the day. It was a pleasant change from 96-feels-like-100 in the DC area. The ocean is better observed than immersed in--I am finally coming to terms with that in California!! (But I have better insight into why people think Hawaii is so HOT--coming from this type of coastal area it must be a shock ;-) ! ) The rooms do not have A/C but we could just open a window to cool off. I don't know how well that works if you are facing the sun in warmer times, but maybe there aren't many...

Even the piper was better than I'd expected---I'd thought it would be silly, but the sound swirling around thru the dunes in the mist is pretty neat.

All in all, this is a great place and we expect to spend out own $$$ to come back here and spend more time. We are avid walkers and this is one palce that would truly be a "destination" for us, since there are so many places to go and walk on the properties. Plus, next time we want to drive 17 mile drive in the Lexus convertible they offer for guests' use!

• Liked — Luxury, service, location
  • Disliked — Long drive from SFO
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
#21 of 25 in Carmel
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
#1 of 2 in Carmel Valley

Been to The Inn at Spanish Bay? Share your experiences!