“Pebble Beach”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Pebble Beach
St. Helena, California
“Pebble Beach”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Very good hotel with comfortable accommodations. Service is pleasant and efficient. Self-parking is a plus. Gas fireplace in the room is a great addition for a romantic stay.
The quality of food needs to be improved to make this a world-class resort. The menu pricing for what is served is out of whack as well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank h2onab

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Greek first
Houston
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Make no bones about it, The Inn at Spanish Bay is not for everyone. People concerned about cost, for instance. But for a splurge, or if you are just someone who appreciates an exquisite hotel experience, it's tough to beat this hotel in the Pebble Beach area.

Our stay was in July 2011, for one night, and it was unforgettable. From the personalized check-in service to the outside patio/firepit area with ocean views to the beachfront walkways through a pristine golf course and roomy accommodations, The Inn at Spanish Bay is one of the nicest hotels I have visited. The restaurant (Roy's -- "Asian fusion" -- is great as well, and the waitstaff at the firepits is pleasant and not stuffy (at least when we were there).

We had two children (one infant, one 9-year-old) with our party (4 rooms), and never experienced any issues. The rooms are complete with mini-bar, snack food, and water. The bed is amazing, and the bathroom is modern and large. Our room had a garden view, and I can only imagine that the rooms with the ocean view are similar (just with a better view).

The lobby bar (with a band in the evenings, at least when we were there) did steady business, and you never know what CEO or golf pro you may strike up a conversation with at the outside firepits over a glass of (very excellent) wine.

I would most definitely recommend staying here if you are in the area. Just bring plenty of money...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
sydney
Reviewed April 7, 2012

What an amazing place,possibly the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Fire places in the room. Amazing room, and I don't even golf.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I recently stayed at The Inn at Spanish Bay, and it was wonderful (obviously). The property and the views are spectacular -- you can spend a significant amount of time just walking around and taking it all in. And of course the 17-Mile Drive is beautiful as well.

We had an Ocean View room, which of course was fantastic. The room itself was nice, slightly larger than an average hotel room. Everything was very clean and the bed was comfortable.

The staff was all friendly and helpful. The person I was staying with had arrived several days before I did, and I know she was on a first-name basis with many of them by the time I arrived. The restaurants on the property were great, and the views from Roy's are a must.

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2012

The accommodations are fantastic. The beds were the most comfortable we have ever slept in. My wife wanted to stay in bed all day!

The food at Roy's was elegant and delicious. One of the highlights of the day was sitting outside having a cocktail while the bagpiper came walking to the hotel from the golf course.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I have to say that we had stayed at The Lodge Pebble Beach a few years ago and did not leave very happy.
I was apprehensive going back but knew The Inn would be our choice to stay and my experience was totally different starting with my reservation email. Rik Olsen went out of his way to help me and I was delighted when he researched our past experience and made up for it. Thank you Rik !!
From the moment we drove up the service was impeccable, the $25 service fee charge (tip for housekeeper, valet service, bellman) was well worth it, every single person we came across was extremely helpful, and had a smile on their face. Our room was lovely with a nice fireplace and we had complimentary snacks and soda and water which were replenished every day.
While my husband played golf I called for my car and I did not have the valet ticket, they were courteous and by the time I walked up my car was there and the valet service guy was extremely helpful in giving directions and suggesting places I could go for a few hours, I wanted to tip him extra but didn't have any cash on me, when I came back I looked for him and he said 'not necessary ma'am, it was my pleasure'
Walked right up to Roy's for dinner (it was a wednesday evening) and were seated immediately by the window and we had amazing service there too.
We had drinks outside while listening to the bagpiper one afternoon, that was a treat !!
My husband played The links and Pebble Beach, he was a happy camper, and thought The Links at Spanish Bay course was amazing, and probably his favorite.
Can't wait to be back :)

Room Tip: First floor room opens up to the back and it is very convenient
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Honolulu
Reviewed March 22, 2012

My husband, sister and her husband stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay from 3/13/12 to 3/17/12. When we got there, it was cold and rainy and there was news of thunderstorms. Because our trip was a golfing trip, the boys were bummed out that they may not be able to golf and, if you did not know this, you need to make your golf reservations in advance and there are no rainchecks. To our surprise, the weather cleared up on our first day of golf at Spanish Bay. This is a pretty difficult course and there are environmental areas where you are not allowed to retrieve your ball. It was still a little windy but all in all, they boys shot a decent round. Second day they played at Spyglass and my sister and I accompanied them. Beautiful course with a lot of trees and the deer have the run of the place. Again, although it was raining, it had cleared just as we got onto the course and we had a great time. Third day, they played at Pebble Beach. My sister and I decided to go shopping that day and did not accompany the men. However, we surprised them at the 15th hole when we showed up, being personally escorted by the marshall. What a treat!!! On the fourth day, the guys played at Monterey Peninsula Golf Course. This is a private club but we were invited by a member. We played on the Shores course (versus the Dunes course), which had just televised the AT&T tournament. The guys were in heaven!!!

We traveled to Pebble Beach last year to play golf and it was amazing, despite the Japan earthquate and tsunami it generated, and we had the best time. They have a bagpipper play some tunes every night but because it was raining, we didn't venture out in the cold ( and because we had already seen it last year). They have a nice fireplace, and the rooms are very spacious. If you get a double bed room, there are not too many drawers to put your clothes. But they have a separate shower and tub that you can soak in after a hard day of golf. They also have a heat lamp so you don't freeze getting out of the shower. I loved that they had two sinks so my husband and I could get ready at our own sink. They had a blow dryer on hand and they also had a magnifying mirror but this was too low for me to use so I used the other mirrors on the wall. They also have a heater, ironing board, iron and safe in the closet. They have a bar area where the refrigerator is located and a sink, ice bucket, wine opener, and a variety of alcoholic beverages for purchase. The sodas and snacks are complimentary and they will fill it every day.

The restaurants are terrific: Sticks has great breakfast, lunch and dinner. Roy's at Spanish Bay has the freshest seafood. Tap Room has the best burgers. And they all have GREAT service and attention to detail. When we ate at Roy's, the waitress gave us black napkins (versus the neutral colored ones) because the guys were wearing black pants.

The hotel adds a $25.00 a day charge to room to tip the housekeepers, bell men and valet service. This is such a convenient thing because sometimes you go in and out with your car a lot, or you don't have small money to give. This way, you don't have to think about it and i believe the staff appreciates this as well. They are so friendly and courteous. My only complaint? That we couldn't stay longer.

Room Tip: Last year, we stayed on the left side of the hotel and this year, the right side. To tell you the t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
L'Auberge Carmel
L'Auberge Carmel
#20 of 25 in Carmel

Been to The Inn at Spanish Bay? Share your experiences!