“Golf Mecca - everything that you expect”

The Inn at Spanish Bay
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Pebble Beach
Reviewed October 29, 2007

My husband and I stayed at The Inn at Spanish Bay to secure a guaranteed tee time at Pebble Beach. If you do not stay "on property"
you are not guaranteed a start time on Pebble Beach. The hotel is beautiful, but it should be considering what they charge. We had a lovely room with ocean views thru the trees, no balcony. No air conditioning which was disappointing - it was hot for October and the
small windows did not give enough air. The room was well appointed and homey. The staff was well attentive, and the restaurants were fine. The golf courses were spectacular. We played Pebble Beach, everything you think it will be (take caddies - the golf carts have to stay on the cart paths and this is a pain) and Spyglass. Spyglass is not as hard as everyone says it is, just the first few holes. This
is a golf mecca - go and play once in your lifetime. Wish we had a chance to play Spanish Bay. Greens fees are high, but this is an expensive splurge -

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pattiboston
There are newer reviews for The Inn at Spanish Bay

Reviewed September 10, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at the hotel. I was there on business and he tagged along. Although we both had two totally different weekends- his was golf, drinking wine and relaxing, mine was work we both had a wonderful time.

The hotel is very nice, not stunning as you drive in but beautiful nonetheless. It is right on Spanish Bay and through the back of the hotel you can see the golf course and the Ocean.

There are several restaurants on the property however I only ate at Roy's just because it was most convenient and from room service. I know that Roy's is a chain however this was my first time eating at one and I was impressed with the quality of food. Room service also delivered great food for both breakfast and dinner.

Our room was very spacious with a very comfortable bed and pillows. It was great to open the window and breathe the great ocean air as we were sleeping. The amenities are wonderful as I heard they had recently upgraded. The lotion is fantastic.

Although I never sat at the outside bar there is one at the back of the hotel in a wonderful setting looking out to the ocean around fire pits.

The only inconvenience is the spa. You have to either drive or be shuttled over to the Lodge in order to have a massage. The spa facilities there are fantastic so once you are there it is worth the trip however it is some work to get there. I would definitely go back if we could afford the very, very high prices. I guess I will just have to hope for another business trip :).

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank djr76
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay while attending a conference in April 2007. The hotel was fantastic in every way. The standard room was quite large, well appointed and even had a fireplace. The staff saw to every need. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. There is plenty to do in the Pebble Beach area. In addition to some of the best golf in the world, the area has a tremendous wealth of opportunities for all to enjoy. The hotel's Lexus experience is a nice touch - we enjoyed crusing the 17 mile drive in a Lexus convertable compliments of the hotel. I would definitley return to the Inn at Spanish Bay.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank GSPTraveler
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We were fortunate to be able to stay here one night as part of a conference--they were booked solid with many events and as much as we pleaded and begged and checked the wait list, we had to move after only one night. No matter what the price, we would have gladly paid our own money to spend more time at Spanish Bay. And for a place on the mainland and where there is no snorkeling, that's saying quite a lot!!!!!

The service is completely 5-star. Everyone. The room we had was on the first floor, overlooking trees, with a tiny patio. It probably was one of the most "standard" ones they have and we loved it--it was nice to open the slider and hear the birds and hope to glimpse a deer. (We did, but over on the links.) The fireplace was very cozy, bathroom and dressing areas were well appointed. Housekeeping immaculate. The minibar had free nonalcoholic beverages and a nice selection of things for purchase.

Roy's breakfast was great--the Watsonville blackberries and raspberries alone were worth the $20. In fact, we enjoyed it so much that we came back to Roy's for breakfast before heading to SFO. We did not eat dinner at Spanish Bay except for a conference event. That catering was very very good, far better than similar events at, say, the Phoenician. The smoked fish and shellfish assortments were very impressive; the cheeses interesting and well chosen. The local wines were very good.

There are great walks available from the property--to the right, you can walk along the boardwalk and trails to see tide pools and rocks, going to Asilomar Beach and beyond. To the left, you can walk along the boardwalk to Joe's Point (otters frolic there, and you can hear them smashing shellfish with their rock tools!) and beyond. We did not have time to go over to Pebble Beach this trip.

The weather was misty/foggy alternating with sun later in the day. It was a pleasant change from 96-feels-like-100 in the DC area. The ocean is better observed than immersed in--I am finally coming to terms with that in California!! (But I have better insight into why people think Hawaii is so HOT--coming from this type of coastal area it must be a shock ;-) ! ) The rooms do not have A/C but we could just open a window to cool off. I don't know how well that works if you are facing the sun in warmer times, but maybe there aren't many...

Even the piper was better than I'd expected---I'd thought it would be silly, but the sound swirling around thru the dunes in the mist is pretty neat.

All in all, this is a great place and we expect to spend out own $$$ to come back here and spend more time. We are avid walkers and this is one palce that would truly be a "destination" for us, since there are so many places to go and walk on the properties. Plus, next time we want to drive 17 mile drive in the Lexus convertible they offer for guests' use!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Honu_Ohana
Reviewed August 4, 2007

i arrived into monterey airport to play , spanish bay, spyglass, and pebble beach. My golf clubs were lost in transit and the staff at spanish bay worked tirelessly to get them. The hotel has beautiful gas firepits to sit out in the evening, roy has great breakfast and staff were great. Enjoyed spanish bay and spyglass and thought pebble beach was so over rated as a golf course. Although had a great dinner at the lodge. We reserved a lexus for 2 hours and enjoyed a great drive around 17 mile drive. The drop off and pick up at monterey airport was included and helped reduce costs, we did not have a car during our stay. Well done

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank aussieNewYork
Reviewed July 28, 2007

The only reason i dont give 5 stars is the price, otherwise everything else was absolutely perfect. i have been multiple times and each time i have zero issues. The staff is attentive and able to respond to every request. The grounds and location is incredibly beautiul. I recommend geting a seat around one of the fire pits at the bar behind the hotel, getting a nice bottle of wine, and watching the bagpiper play as he walsk up the fairways on Spanish BAy GC. If you're a golfer you need to spend the $$ once and go to this amazing place.

Of course if you are here you should be playing golf at PEbble Beach. I recommend getting a caddy (ytou are spending alot anyway, why not splurge?) because it will make it even more enjoyable. IF you arent a golfer the spa is amazing as well.

The staff is great, and i like that they add $20 per day to cover all tips. You dont need to tip everyone in sight and worry if you have enough cash to tip people.

Room service here is good but i suggest trying the local resturants in Carmel and Monterrey instead of eating in.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2007

Stunning location, wonderful resort, delightful staff...a true pleasure the Inn at Spanish Bay is world class... the golf course is Scottish Link stye.. some other reviewers seem to know nothing of Pebble Beach weather, the style of golf course, the route the FREE shuttle takes .. it stops at Spyglass on the way from Spanish Bay to the Lodge, how wonderful the Spa at the Lodge is and what a great job they do... indeed some of the reviewers seem to know very little ? I just stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay for four nights.. without fail every single staff member I encountered greeted me and asked if there was anything they could do for me.. and they were not just faking it.. the room was wonderful.. the bed very comfortable... like every thing else do your homework.. find out about the weather .. the spa opitions.. there are several ...learn before you go you will enjoy it more... by the way, Patty at Roy's in Spanish Bay is awesome eat there once and come back and she will remember what type of toast you like. Oh, they do have internet... USB connection in the rooms wireless in the Lobby.... love it!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
#2 of 56 in Monterey
Monterey Bay Inn
Monterey Bay Inn
#5 of 56 in Monterey

Been to The Inn at Spanish Bay? Share your experiences!