“martinis on the terrace”

Stillwater Bar & Grill
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Pebble Beach
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Hermosa Beach, Ca
“martinis on the terrace”
Reviewed July 17, 2009

We surely miss martinis on the terrace outside of Stillwater watching the 18th fairway/green - waiting for the ghost of Bob Hope to pop-up and make us laugh -

Northern CA
“The best!”
Reviewed February 11, 2008

Not only are the cocktails fantastic, the staff are ridiculously attentive and will even make things off the menu and get items from the other restaurants in the Lodge. Try the crabcakes, enjoy the phenominal view of the Pebble Beach 18th fairway and spectacular coastline, and say hi to the bar staff where they'll create for you whatever you wish.
Enjoy!

santa cruz
“Pretty good food, but lousy service”
Reviewed June 27, 2006

We dined at the Stillwater Bar and Grill last night for my birthday. Beforehand we had drinks on the patio at Roy"s. I wish we had had dinner there, but we had been there for two of my last three birthday dinners. Roy's has a beatiful patio with several fire pits and they even provide blankets for chilly nights, as was last evening. The drinks were fine, the service pretty good, although the server asked if we wanted almonds but never brought them. I would highly recommend a pre dinner cocktail there. On to Stillwater Bar and Grill. It was my birthday and I was going to have a good time no matter what. We actually own a restaurant and my two older children manage it. From the beginnning they were appalled by the service. We were seated for at least 15 minutes before anyone even approached our table. When the server finally did come by I didn't know if he were the sommelier or the server. I asked for a "Dr. Loosen" Riesling and pointed to the choice on the list. He came back with two different bottles and asked which one I had ordered. My husband had the good sense to ask if one were more expensive than the other. I inquired which one was not so sweet and he replied they both were, which was not true. Anyway, I got the one I ordered. He poured a taste and then a round and then the bottle disappeared. I wasn't paying attention, so I thought we had drunk the entire bottle, as there were six of us. We ordered appetizers. One of the reasons I wanted to go to this particular restaurant was because they have abalone, one of my favorites. Very few restaurants have it on their menu. It was delicious! The portion was small, as I expected. On a previous trip to Maui I had abalone served in the shell. I inquired if I could take the shell and they said no. Here they were a little more savvy. They hid the shell under some greens. This time I didn't ask I just put it in my purse!! For $28 for one ounce of abalone I figured I deserved it. The calamari was very good, the tuna tartare tasted a little old. Because I assumed the wine was gone I ordered another bottle, a Talley Chardonnay, which was fabulous. My son ordered a glass of Pinot Noir without asking the price. It turned out to be $20 for an ordinary Pinot. I am sure there were less expensive Pinots by the glass, but they chose to bring him the most expensive.

There was a very bright Halogen light hanging directly above our table. My daughter asked three different people if it could be dimmed. Each time they said yes, and did nothing.

Finally our entrees arrived. The rack of lamb was amazing. It must have been a full rack, or even more. My son-in-law was very happy, and he is the pickiest eater in the family.
Three of our party ordered the halbiut with crab. Two of them were quite good, my daughter's was covered with salt and it ws almost inedible. My daughter in law's scallops were quite good, and my striped bass was salty but very good. The server never checked back with us to see how we were doing. Finally when we were almost done he came by and poured more of the Chardonnay. I finally saw the first bottle of wine on the counter, and we had only drunk half of it. If a restaurant is going to pour the wine and put it away they need to keep pouring until it is gone. I asked that he pour the rest of it!! Maybe he was hoping we would forget about it so he could drink it himself.

Anyway, we ordered the chocolate fondue, which was amazing. I had a Brandy Alexander which was excellent.

We got the bill, over $600 for six of us. Now I have paid that in many places, but only when the service was great and the food was wonderful. The 18% gratuity had been added, which is also the policy at our restaurant. However, I do not allow our servers to ignore the six tops because they know they will get an 18% tip no matter what. Just as an aside, I usually tip 20% or more for good service. My daughter has called the restaurant to complain about the awful service. She is a world traveler, a ceritified wine professional and has dined at 5 star restaurants all ove the world. For these prices, I would have expecte a bit more and definitely better service!!

6 Thank oldskibunny