“Don't Miss Spyglass!”

and up
Monterey & Carmel Explorer with optional Aquarium
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Stretching 6,859 yards at par 72, this Robert Trent Jones, Sr. layout is a demanding and rigorous course requiring acute skill and length from the back tees.
Bethesda, Maryland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Don't Miss Spyglass!”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

If you have the chance, play both Pebble Beach and Spyglass. I just got back from playing both and enjoyed both courses immensely. Spyglass provides a different feel from Pebble since it starts out on the coast and becomes more of a traditional tree lined track with several elevated greens. The course was in impeccable condition and I couldn't have been happier with my caddy, Kevin.

Visited August 2011

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Better than Pebble Beach”
Reviewed August 21, 2010

If you like to play in good weather, wait to set up your tee time until after 11am. The fog remains thick until around that time. I had a 7:20 tee time and I could not see over 100 from the first tee. The course was beautiful, well maintained and more difficult than Pebble Beach. If you can afford to play both, play pebble first as you can get the awe factor out of the way before you get to play the better course of Spyglass Hill.

1 Thank trosclairt
Fort Myers
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 238 helpful votes
“Beautiful but cart path only”
Reviewed June 9, 2009

I agree with the others that this a beautiful woods course. However, it is cart path only and it is very hilly. As a result, the course is in beautiful shape but you need to be also. However, I agree with another traveler. For a bit more money, I would play Pebble Beach twice. PB has truly dramatic scenery and while it too is cart path only, you can walk it as it is not nearly as hilly as Spyglass. Do not even bother with Spanish Bay.

Also the restaurant and bar facility here is very plain with no view at all.

Western Missouri
“Don't pass Spyglass Hill up when on the Monterey Peninsula!”
Reviewed September 4, 2008

It's been a while, but a chance to sing the praises of Spyglass is never too late. I played the course with some friends back in 2000...the day before we played Pebble Beach and the day after playing the Bayonet Course on what used to be Fort Ord.

Spyglass Hill was a beautiful course, and while not having the fame or reputation of its more noted neighbor, Pebble Beach, it was for me a far sterner test of golf. This was true even though the grandstands were still up on Pebble from the week earlier's US Open and Pebble's green's were still fast and small. But Spyglass was a gem that I wish I had researched a bit more, for it is the kind of course that can turn you upside down if you don't keep the ball in the short glass or at least the intermediate rough. I learned by hard knocks what iceplant was and that one should never hit a ball into that stuff...not that I wanted to!

Several of the ocean holes could not have been more beautiful...so beautiful that keeping one's mind on the golf was darn near impossible. Would I go back? For sure! I remember when our round was done, parking our cart and being invited by one of the staff to sit on a bench while the bottom of our shoes were cleaned by a person with a high pressure air hose. Now this was service to which I was not accustomed.

By all means, take a deep breath, pay the high greens fee and keep your drive to the right on the opening hole which runs down hill, doglegging left some 600 yards. It is one of 18 beauties that you will remember a lifetime!

Rob Kornacki
US Army (ret)

Minneapolis, Minnesota
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“A gorgeous course”
Reviewed October 8, 2007

Just got back from a vacation and we golfed both PB and Spyglass. Loved them both, actually. Originally we had a tee time at Spanish Bay for the second round, but after talking with some people around the course the first day, decided to try for a tee time at Spyglass and what a great decision!
While I played better at Pebble Beach, I loved the beauty of the course at Spyglass. PB for women is 5140 yds or something like that, compared with 5379 at Spyglass. The greens are much bigger and "normal" size at Spyglass and a bit easier to read. There are beautiful wooded fairways and gorgeous views - with sandy dunes and ocean vista views. The wind is blocked a bit more here. At Spanish Bay, the wind whips you constantly and you play along the water for much of your round - gorgeous, but the views are also fabulous from Spyglass without as much wind. There are also more elevation changes, making it a tougher course to walk but doable nonetheless. If taking a cart, you must remain on the paths and walk to your balls - which is likely a reason for the slower play.
The proshop staff were very nice, with a good selection of women's. You can call into the snackbar from number 9 and order a grilled item to grab at the turn and there is a beverage cart on course.
This course has a smaller feel to it than PB as it's not as populated by shops or the hotels. While the starter and in house staff said we'd be playing in less than five hours, our round took longer. The experience was worth it, but I would choose to play earlier in the day for faster play if at all possible, or late in the day when there's no guarantee to finish before sunset.

4 Thank citygirlcountrygirl