“Reminds me of when I was a kid!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pauma Valley
La Jolla Indian Campground
ESCONDIDO
“Reminds me of when I was a kid!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2008

I've been going to the campground for over 23 yrs. My parents took me when I was a kid and now I take my children. The time of year that I prefer to go has changed now that I do have children so that we can have a peaceful time. Although, I do like to go on the major holidays I know I can expect the showers and the water to be busy. I used to get upset with the facililty but, I know that it is not their fault that people are not considerate of that natural environment and do not clean up after themselves leading to trash in the river. The showers would also stay clean if everyone will clean up as if it were their own bathroom. I definitely respect their rule for no glass, I agree that glass containers be confiscated for the safety of all the bare feet. I do believe that is why alcohol is confiscated because it is in glass containers and everyone is asked when checking in. The campground does have security and has cut down an alot of the underage drinking and people that get out of hand. I know the place is not perfect, but for the amount of memories I have at the La Jolla Indian Campground I will continue to go and make more memories.

• Liked — The scenery and the sound of the river!
  • Disliked — When the water level was low, and inconsiderate neighboring campers.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank eliroxy286

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2007

the people who work the night shift over there are corrupt. stole our beer, drank it, pulled us aside, pepper sprayed us, and called the cops and said we assaulted them, which completely isn't true. we were told "this is there land, they can do whatever they want to us, and nobody will know the truth".

BEWARE.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank aliveordie

Travelers are raving about these Pauma Valley hotels

Huntington Beach, Ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2007

Campsite looked nice, paid for 2 nights. River was pathetic so dirty and full of trash, couldnt see the bottem even where it was only 1 foot deep. Too low to go tubing, tried it anyways, got nothing but bumps and bruises and little black leeches on us.

My daughters were so scared of these they wouldnt go in the water. Left first thing in the morning the day after getting there and they wouldnt refund any money for the days not used.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank knksdad
southernCA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2007

We arrived on a Wednesday and left on a Friday. It was so much FUN! We took our 3rd grade class for their end of the year camp trip. The kids had such a blast playing in the river with the inner tubes it kept them busy all day long. Good place for family to go camping at least during the week, I hear it can get VERY busy during the weekend. We stayed at the site called the "the hole" Great place to group camp, nice and private, lots of grass and shade. If you know your plants thats a plus because there is poisin oak to look out for and stinging needles to watch out for at this time of year....otherwise a SUPER fun time.I'll for sure go back there and camp again.

• Liked — the trees and river right next to our site
  • Disliked — port a pottys
  • Stayed June 2007
3 Thank momSC
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2007

My family loves this place! The river and scenery is beautiful! Definitely rent a inner tube to go down the river. It is so much fun but can be very scary! People are very friendly and help guide you down the river! Bathrooms are cleaned 2x a day. Camping is very busy in the summer time so get their early!!! Every time we go we have a better time than the time before! We will be going here every summer from now on!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2006

Facilities where dirty and not maintained regularly (no hot water for showers). The river water level is maintained at a very low level, nearly not enough to go tubing, which used to be the main attraction there. Main roads are not kept at with a decent surface.

• Liked — Found a spot to park and setup tent, arrive early
  • Disliked — Showers
  • Tips/Secrets — Arrive on Thursday or Friday
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank sdbolt1
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2006

Loved this campground!!! Primitive, crowded but WOW...the river was a real treat!!!!

Here are a few FYIs:
-Prepare yourself for a bit of anarchy upon arrival to this campground. Drive slow (5MPH) and watch out for the HUGE speedbumps.
-Arrive early for choice sites right on the river (bring your own folding table as picnic tables are scarce!!).
-Tubing is highly reccommended, a bit dangerous, but that was the fun of it!!! Tubes rent for 7bucks a day or bring your own.
-Plenty of water stations scattered about the campgrounds.
-A rowdy crowd. If noise is a factor, pack earplugs!!!
-Bathroom facililites were passable.
-NO GLASS CONTAINERS ALLOWED!!!

Would definately do this place again!!! It's a rowdy, pick-up truck type party crowd, but everyone was in good cheer and my crew (nerdy, 30somethng east-coasters) had a blast!!!

Stayed July 2006
Welk Resort San Diego
#2 of 16 in Escondido
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,439 reviews
Wikiup Bed and Breakfast

Been to La Jolla Indian Campground? Share your experiences!