“One dip in the tub and I was out for the count for 12 hours”
Review of Paso Robles Inn

Paso Robles Inn
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Paso Robles
Reviewed February 7, 2009

I cannot say enough about the sulfuric tub in this hotel. It's the strongest I've ever encountered, and I've been in many. I stayed in one of the rooms that had its own private tub on the balcony, with curtains that you can draw to maintain privacy. As soon as I checked into the room (this was in the afternoon), I slid into the tub. After a 15 minute soak, I felt like a wet noodle. I could barely keep my eyes open, could barely walk to the bed before I collapsed in a dazed stupor. It was the best sleep I'd had in ages.

The rooms are ok, not exactly elegantly-appointed. But the staff is great -- attentive and warm, and the hotel is conveniently located. Within walking distance are dozens of restaurants and wine bars, movie theatres and shops. You definitely won't get cabin fever staying here. I would recommend this hotel for families with kids, as there is a nice pool on the grounds. Right next to the pool is also a hot tub for the adults. The grounds are neatly manicured and give off a bit of a "touristy" vibe, but I guess that's what we all are anyway, right?

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank venicebeachbum
Write a ReviewReviews (1,523)

Reviewed January 26, 2009

We have stay at a lot of hotels and I would say this ranked very high on my list of the worse hotels I have ever stayed at! The only thing it has going for it is location. You can walk to town and visit restaurants, wineries, shops, etc. It also has nice grounds. We booked one of the fireplace rooms and specifically asked for a remodeled room when booking (a friend of mine that lives in Paso told me to ask for one of them). When we got there, we were acknowledged by the front desk person that should not have been in this role. She was not very warm or welcoming. I checked in and reminded her that we requested a remodeled room. She said that all of the fireplace rooms are remodeled. She gave us the keys and we went to the room to find it not cleaned, no bedding on, bathroom dirty, etc. We also found it to be extremely dark, dreary, and very old and dated. I called the front desk to let them know this was not cleaned and that I specifically requested an updated room. She responded that they are all updated once a year - apparently that means they change the towels once a year! I went back down to the office to change rooms and she informed me that they only had 3 other rooms available, two of which were identical to ours and one in the "new" building but it was located right on the street which would have been very loud. We decided to just stay and wait for ours to be cleaned. Believe me, it made no difference in my opinion after it was cleaned! The room was very small, very old, the bathroom had only a small sink vanity with no room to place your personal items. It had no area underneath to put anything either. I took my shower then placed all of my things on the floor in front of the closet mirrors and sat on the floor to put on my make-up! They could have created a much better vanity area so people could at least get ready in there without having to place their things on the toilet! The bed frame was not fastened correctly and moved all night long, the fireplace was a joke, the TV remote did not work, need I say more?

To top off matters, I ran into some friends that were staying at the same hotel and they checked in an hour after us and were given a very large room in the original building on the 2nd floor that had both a hot tub and fireplace and said it was pretty nice (old but nice). Interesting that they didn't have anything available an hour before... Anyway, these people filled their jacuzzi tub and started the jets to find them spraying all over the room! By the time they got them to stop, it had flooded the room pretty badly. They called downstairs to get help and was told by the front desk that they didn't have anyone to help them as it was after hours and they would have to wait until the next day! They told them they had about an inch of water on the ground but the person didn't seem to care. An hour or so later they got a knock on the door by Security because they had complaints of water leaking on the first floor! The people told them they tried getting help but no one was available to help!

Never again...

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlexandraGilroy
Reviewed January 22, 2009

We just spent two nights at the Paso Robles Inn. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. It had a small frig, microwave, coffee maker and wired internet access. The location is downtown across the street from a park and near a variety of restaurants. This was our second stay there and we wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PelicanDriver
Reviewed December 23, 2008

It's a fine property, but not historic. If you're looking for fine period or antique/unique furniture, you will not find it. Furniture could be found in any Embassy Suites or comparable.

That said, the staff was friendly, we had a nice room with mineral water from the hot springs pumped right into the tub (watch out for that lovely sulfur odor!), and a HUUUUUGE bathroom.

Overall, it wasn't bad but also not special. Location is a plus, right downtown and walking distance to lots of restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank christojb
Reviewed October 28, 2008

The only place to stay in downtown Paso, we selected for location and historic designation, but also the price of a basic room in October was $95. We were upgraded to a room in the hiistoric reproduction building across the driveway, but it seemed to have similar antique style furnishings as regular rooms around the pool - only bigger. Mini fridge for chilling our water bottles and wine; huge bathroom with mineral spa, double sinks, and pocket doors separating it from the bedroom, and separating the shower and toilet. We used the mineral bath in the room every night, but it was a bit difficult to get in and out. Plenty of bath towels, and sheets are soft high-count. Pool and hot tub are great, but get shade in late afternoon, and there are no benches to enjoy the lovely garden with huge trees and lots of roses, and a pond of many koi. Staff at front desk were very helpful with driving times and directions. We enjoyed the hotel restaurant for steak dinners (their specialty), but breakfast was on the expensive side. We would definitely stay here on our next wine trip to Paso and recommend to friends seeking a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Not a pleasant stay. Checked into hotel after a long day traveling from San Simeon, than to Morro Bay, with Paso Robles being our final stop.

The room we were given had dated furniture and a gliding bathroom door that you had to yank hard to close. But were tired and it being my birthday was not something worth complaining over.

After getting settled in I realized the carpet between the bathroom and mini fridge had wet spots that were soaking wet. Than my husband soon realized that the Internet was not working in the room. So back to the front desk I go where I’m given a room to look at to see if it had similar issues and it did.

Apparently the mini fridges in that block of rooms had been defrosted and all of them had wet carpet. Management found us a room where carpet was not as wet and the Internet worked. By the time we resettled we had less than an hour to try and go visit a few wineries.

Situation nearly ruined our stay – wish we stayed in Morro Bay instead but my husband and I are wine enthusiasts so wanted to check out Paso Robles.

For a few positives, hotel is in a perfect location and it was nice to have Bath and Body Work toiletries. But for all the headache it wasn’t worth it. Was never given an apology for the situation or inconvenience from hotel staff.

Hotel has a nice historic feel to it and beautiful grounds – rooms are at the beginning phases of being run down.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anieto_mv
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We went to Paso with another couple to play golf at Hunter Ranch. We had never stayed at this hotel/motel, but found it quite comfortable and it was a treat to have the mineral bath (it is sulphery smelling) on the terrace (which only I used; it is pretty small for two). The Inn is in the Downtown area located near shopping and restaurants (walkable). The internet connection was problematic, but we would still stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends