“Beautiful gardens with no place to sit”
Review of Paso Robles Inn

Paso Robles Inn
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Paso Robles
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was our third stay here, so we obviously like it enough, or we just don't think there are many other good choices in Paso Robles. I will start with the good points: the gardens are really beautiful, this April especially, with bed after bed of pansies in blue and purple combinations. Really stunning! But all over the gardens, there are no lawn chairs or comfortable benches. There are a few backless stone benches, but they seemed to be slanted and leaning. Now for the problems: I agree with another reviewer that the sheets are very poor quality, and worn out. The room we had (405) had a king bed and one small desk and desk chair. No where comfortable to sit. One person could sit on the chair and the other person could only sit on the bed! Also, the lighting was very poor, with one rickety floor lamp, practically broken. Very disappointing furnishing for $213 a night. The bed itself was uncomfortably bouncy, so when one person moved, the whole bed moved. We were lucky to have had a very quiet experience. The people in the next room did not make a peep. Finally, the greeting at reception was uncommonly cool. I don't mean that in a good way. I said, "Hello! We are checking in." and the answer was, "Drivers license and credit card?" I'll say no more about that!

We will probably stay again if we have an event in Paso Robles, but I won't have my hopes up at all.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
PasoRoblesInn, General Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

First, I would like to thank you for your continued patronage. I appreciate the detailed feedback regarding your stay. I’m happy to announce that we have already ordered new furnishing for all of our guest rooms. I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the “cool” greeting at check-in. I can assure you that this incident has been addressed and corrected. I do hope we get the opportunity to host you in the future so that you can see, first hand, the improvements that we have made to the property since your last visit.

Again, your feedback is much appreciated!

Erica Fryburger

Write a ReviewReviews (1,550)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I spent this past weekend at the Paso Robles Inn with our black lab. The hotel was in a wonderful location and easy walking distance to restaurants and shops. It was very clean and friendly and the grounds are beautiful. Our room was small, but adequate. The Inn was built in the 40's, but the rooms and baths have been recently updated and are comfortable. We had a queen with a fireplace in one of their designated "pet friendly" rooms and we were happy. It was easy to have our dog with us and the hotel was convenient and prepared for pets. The staff was very nice and helped with restaurant recommendations. Artisan was our favorite dinner. Breakfast at the Inn was very nice and reasonably priced. The rooms with a spa rather than a fireplace may be a bit larger, but we were fine with the room we had. The property was very quiet and the rooms had windows that opened. We would not hesitate to stay at this hotel in the future. It was really quite nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
PasoRoblesInn, Front Office Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback regarding your stay. I’m pleased to see that we were able to accommodate your furry companion during your trip to the area. We anxiously await your next trip to the Paso Robles Inn.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

A wonderful old time spa hotel. Modern buildings ... We stayed in the Jesse James building that was constructed in 2005. The downstairs rooms have private mineral spa tubs in each room. Surprisingly, the rooms were very quiet ... no loud drunken guests on the weekend we were there. The patio area with several fish ponds was delightful. The hotel is across the street from the town square/park. Our stay proved to be a great weekend. Friday & Saturday night the downtown area was busy and fun. Many eating/drinking establishments to choose from. I was surprised at how the city has been revitalized. BTW the Amtrak station is walking distance to the hotel [0.3 miles]. It you have never taken the train may I recommend the Amtrak Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Paso Robles ... beautiful scenery and all daylight travel.

Room Tip: Check out their website. They have many package deals for wine tasting and other activities. Return...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
PasoRoblesInn, General Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback regarding your stay. I’m pleased to hear that you found your weekend stay to be so delightful. We anxiously await your next trip to the Historic Paso Robles Inn.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed in February during the cold snap and the patio spa was a welcome highlight after having to hike across the property because of the shortage of parking spaces. Unfortunately, my new white socks were quickly turned brown by the dirty carpet and floors. The sheets were pilled and not the high quality I expected. There was only one nightstand. When I inquired at the front desk about changing rooms, I was told that there were no more rooms available. I didn’t bother calling again when the wedding party came back to their room and partied until after two in the morning. I think the unregistered wedding party guest may have taken our parking space. Again, while the spa was wonderful the room’s lack of cleanliness, quality linens, the lack of parking, and noisiness has me wishing we had spent our money elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tina C
PasoRoblesInn, Front Office Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for leaving us feedback regarding your stay with us. Your review will help us pinpoint the area in which we need to improve, and for that we thank you. I would like to apologize for excessive noise, and lack of cleanliness you experienced during your stay. I can assure you that this has been discussed with our housekeeping staff, and due to this incident, we have increased the frequency in which we deep clean our rooms. Again, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We normally stay at another hotel in Paso. We found the manager's special on-line and decided to give the Paso Robles Inn a chance. The room was bigger than expected, with a comfortable bed. The spa on the balcony was a nice touch. The sent packets we used, did not quite cover the sulfur smell as much as wife, was hoping for. The odor was not overwhelming and we enjoyed the spa for 20 minutes or so. The hotel is across the street from the center of town. Easy walking distance to the many tasting rooms and restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
PasoRoblesInn, General Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

I’m delighted to hear you decided to try the Historic Paso Robles Inn and all the wonderful amenities we have to offer. We strive to provide memorable and relaxing experiences for all our guest and it nice to hear we did accomplish this for you. Our private mineral spa tubs are truly a one of a kind experience. I’m so glad you were able to try it. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

We look forward to having you as our guest again.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Lot of parties every night that go quite late. Be prepared to be awake until the wee hours of the morning listening to drunken guests. Calling the front desk does nothing to help the situation. The walls of each room are so thin that every conversation, sneeze, etc is heard clearly. Not exactly the quiet restful getaway that we were hoping for.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kirk L
PasoRoblesInn, Front Office Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

First, I would like to thank you for staying with us at the Historic Paso Robles inn. I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during you stay. We, here at the hotel, want our guest to experience nothing less than an amazing stay. We do have security roaming the property nightly to keep situations like this from happening, but it seems like we have failed in our efforts to do so. In an attempt to change your perspective of our hotel, I would like to invite you back to the Paso Robles inn during you next visit to the area. It is through feedback, both positive and negative, that we are able to grow and improve in the areas in which we can use improvement. I hope to personally hear from you during your next trip to Paso Robles.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I reserved the Garden View Queen on a Friday night in March.
We looked out onto the pool area which was nice but the pool and hot tub were so minuscule
When 2 additional people came into the fenced area I could not move my chair for fear of landing in the water,
And this is advertised as a spa/resort. With 98 rooms it is hard to imagine a summer day when even 10 people might want to be in the area, little did I know the pool would be the highlight of our stay.

Upon entering the room we could barely get the suitcase past the bed there was so little space between the edge of the bed
And old, delapidated very large dresser/tv stand. The lamps and headboard were 1970's "Mediterranean " which did not match the generic side tables and table and chairs under the window which again were too large for the space
The bed linens were synthetic, and completely worn and rough due to age and use. The mattress obviously has not been replaced in many years.

The bathroom had been updated but again was so small it was impossible to find a spot for a shaving kit or cosmetic bag
On the counter. This was made worse by the number of signs and brochures on the counter and hooks advertising the cosmetics and sustainability policies. There was not even one grab bar or anything to hold onto entering the shower---- which was lukewarm and had so little pressure it was impossible to rinse your hair.

When we talked to the front desk at check out, their answer was that the hotel was historical and had to retain the original
Footprint. This did not appear to be the case in the rooms with patio and exterior hot tubs. I do not recommend the standard
Or even Garden View rooms ---Even at $40 less for the non weekend rate I would not consider this a good value. Very disappointing start to a long planned weekend in this delightful area of the valley.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
PasoRoblesInn, General Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

I would like to apologize for what you experienced during your stay. It appears that we failed to attain our goal of exceeding our guest's expectations in your stay. Please know we do take a lot of pride in maintaining the historic charm and character of the Inn. I'm sorry the experience was not what you had expected. We are currently working on updating the interior of the rooms with a more modern look and feel. Items that are still to come include furniture, art work and linens. As you can imagine this is a very large project and we are hoping to have it completed with in 90 days. Hopefully, if we are fortunate enough to host you in the future, we can make sure you leave with a more favorable opinion of the Paso Robles Inn.

Again, thank you for your feedback it is through feedback we can continue to improve.