“My Paso Home”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“My Paso Home”
Reviewed May 12, 2009

I have been traveling to Paso Robles for wine fun for several years now, and after staying at several places, this is my preferred place to stay. It's not perfect, but here are my experiences:

Pros: Can't beat the location. It's very convenient since it's located near the 101 and 46. The rooms are clean. They have wireless Internet. Parking is convenient, and it's generally quiet. It's the best value for the quality ... generally I wouldn't expect this quality at this price. La Quinta is more expensive.

Cons: At our last stay we were located under the stairwell during a kids' soccer tournament. 'Nuff said. The front desk can be kind of, well, *leisurely* in their customer service. That being said, I still haven't had a bad experience with them.

All in all, a great place to stay for a reasonable price. Located close enough to downtown, very close to freeways, and with restaurants within walking distance, it's hard to beat. I have had no reason (other than room availability) to book elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VegasWineaux

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
California
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I have stayed at both the La Quinta and this hotel, and actually prefer the Best Western though some co-workers prefer the La Quinta. Rooms are slightly dated, and not quite as nice as the La Quinta. But the sound insulation seems better, and I actually like the exterior hallways. Also it is a (long) walk from downtown Paso, so you can drink and walk back if you feel like it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
San Jose
Reviewed October 11, 2008

There were too front office people but after helping one couple the young man ignored me and left me to wait until the young woman checked me in. The room had two beds and I normally book one. I was told that the Best Western site was notorious for making mistakes, and even if I had a confirmation for one bed they weren't going to honor it.
There was a horrible smell in the room (musty and sour) and when I complained I was told to keep my windows and doors open. The young lady eventually came up to "smell" the room. Her comment was that she couldn't smell a thing and then said that the room just smelled stale and to keep the door open. This was after the door had been open for 15 minutes as well as the ceiling fan. She left and then yelled back that I was paying for the room whether I liked it or not.
Terrible customer service. I would not recommend this place at all which is a shame as I am a Best Western Crown Club Diamond member.

• Liked — It was in Paso Robles
  • Disliked — The room smelled and the facility lacked quality customer service.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank NucGolfer
Pleasanton California
Reviewed September 24, 2008

We recently stayed at the Black Oak and was pleasantly surprised. The room appeared to be recently updated. It was very clean and nicely appointed. I don't mind rooms looking dated as long as they are CLEAN. The architecture of the motor lodge is older but very well kept, with the entrance to the rooms by outside corridors, definitely a motor lodge. Although the hotel was fully booked, we were not disturbed by hearing other guests in nearby rooms or noise from the outside corridors (even with the window open). Ample parking despite being full. There are restaurants and a Starbucks within easy walking distance. We will definitely stay here again. The price, comfort of the room and service is hard to beat!

• Liked — The cleaniness
  • Disliked — Not in the center of downtown
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Franophile
Herne, Germany
Reviewed September 3, 2008

We, two adults and a nine years old child, stayed at the Motel on the 12th of July for two nights.
Our room was very spacious and newly decorated. A new carpet and new hangings. Everything was fresh and very clean. Except the air condition was too noisy to let it turned on the whole night. A nice middle sized pool and a spa is also located at the motel. The restaurants located directly near the motel offer tasty food for dinner or breakfast. Especially the Steakhouse located at the left side of the motel is a good choice for dinner. If you want you can participate to a bull ride contest.
Conclusion: More than a good option to the overpriced accommodations at the coastline.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael_Gr
Marietta, GA
Reviewed July 11, 2008

We selected this hotel as an overnight stop on a slow drive from LA up to the Bay Area. The hotel was very popular (full) and we were glad we had reservations. This may have been because it was a holiday weekend. We found the room fairly large and very clean. The thing that stood up was the staff. Everyone was very professional, friendly and accommodating. They even called us while we on the road to confirm we were on the way. (though they may have wanted to give away our room, they didn't sound like it).

I wouldn't want to spend a vacation here, but it's a great place to stay on the road.

• Liked — Location, service
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank DanielHCarroll
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 17, 2008

We stayed at this motel on June 15, 2008 and i want all travelers to know that it is an outstanding place to stay, at a relatively reasonable price. I say "relatively reasonable" as California's beautiful and very interesting central coast is not inexpensive. This hotel really has it all in terms of comfort, service, pool, exceptionally clean, and very close by restauants.

• Liked — Location, comfort, very clean, parking, exceptionally nice pool
  • Disliked — None applicable
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple