“Do not stay here, worst customer service”

Best Western Plus Black Oak
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Paso Robles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Nothing about my stay here was pleasant!! It began with terrible service from the front desk! I am in the customer service business and if I ever treated someone as poorly as this I wouldn't get a warning, I would be fired on the spot. As a college student, when my parents try to help out and book a room on Expedia for me it's expected that I will get to stay in the room I paid for. However they claim that doesn't work and that my parents need to be here. This has never happened before and I will never be returning. I now have to deal with Expedia to cancel what has already been charged, approved and paid for and pay cash that was my gas money. I am a very patient and through person but this is unacceptable from anywhere. Please do not give them your business!! Huge regret!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Cb3434
BOMLBW, General Manager at Best Western Plus Black Oak, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for posting your concerns. In response to the items you have brought up, I would like to offer an explanation as to our procedures. First, your reservation with Expedia was not charged with the credit card you provided to them. The BEST WESTERN PLUS Black Oak, does not have a prepay account with Expedia and its travel partners. This information is provided when a reservation is booked. There was however, a $1 authorization placed at time of booking to verify the card was valid.

Upon arrival a credit card is required for check in for every guest even those paying with cash as posted at the front desk. Additionally, if the card holder is not present to show the card and valid id, additional authorization in writing is required. This is standard procedure at many hotels. I am sorry that you felt mistreated by our procedures, but we have to protect credit card holders and our business.

Respectfully,
Angela McKee

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I seems they have made some improvements in the rooms and facility in general since our last stay. The staff was very good and we used our $10 voucher for breakfast at Margie's dinner located on the facility. The breakfast by the way is huge. The rooms are quiet and away from any street noise. Very good stay all in all.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DLFSanJose
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stopped for a night on the way back from Sonoma. Great place to stay. Beds were comfortable. Front desk personnel were friendly. It would have been nice to have an elevator since we were on the second floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a a ground floor room if you don't wish to climb stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2013

A very solid, basic motel, but a perfect place for a one or two night stay. The room was average sized but impeccably cleaned - not so much as a fingerprint or errant hair in sight. Very well maintained.

The hotel diner was surprisingly great and practically free- guests get 10 dollars off per meal. The portions are ENORMOUS. My omelette was roughly the size of a 2 week old infant. But it's perfect for nursing a wine hangover.

It was close to town, though not quiet walking distance. Nothing fancy, but this place is a great choice for a good night's sleep at a comparatively good price.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was very impressed. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was super clean and very well appointed. They had everything we needed for the night. I will definitely be back to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We've been staying at the Black Oak on and off since 1979, most recently twelve Memorial Day weekends in a row. The price has been going up consistently over the past few years and the quality has remained the same. After Best Western's revamping of their classification system we've noticed a downturn in Best Western's offerings. We had problems at BW's in Niagara Falls, Flagstaff, Tucson, San Diego, and Escondido over the past five years, to the point where we are now avoiding them. Paso Robles' Black Oak, Bishop's BW, and Edmonton's BW have been the exception, offering great accommodations in the past.
This trip to the Black Oak wasn't up to prior standards. We were assigned a higher priced room this time. It was much roomier. When we entered we could tell something was off. I went into the bathroom and it had not been serviced. The toilet, shower, and sink were obviously not cleaned. There was trash about the room and the trash cans had not been emptied. A call to the front desk yielded immediate response and we had to wait outside while a crew went over our room in a ten-minute frenzy. We began to unpack when my wife noticed something on the carpeting in front of an easy chair. There were dirty toe nail clippings on the carpet. This time we grabbed a maid nearby and she came with a vacuum cleaner to clean it up.
Needless to say, we scouted other nearby establishments and will probably book elsewhere next year.

Room Tip: Rooms are pretty well soundproofed, but elephant-footed patrons in upstairs rooms can be annoying if...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CanRocksLover
BOMLBW, General Manager at Best Western Plus Black Oak, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for your review and for being a repeat guest of the BEST WESTERN PLUS Black Oak . I know that you have stayed here for many Memorial Days in my 25 years here. I am so sorry for the items you incurred. The room was mistakenly showing clean and you were assigned keys. We would never purposely send a guest to an unclean room, and I do apologize for our interdepartmental miss communications.
Paso Robles has definitely changed since the early years of the rally and hotel rates fluctuate based on supply and demand. We still feel we offer one of the best values of the chain hotels in the area, despite our miscue for you this stay.
I will also pass your comments regarding your recent Best Western experiences to headquarters. We can only improve when we know our faults. Thank you again, and we do hope you might give us another chance.

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We were happy to find a place that allowed us to only stay one night on a holiday weekend. We were pleasantly surprised with the room quality and the pool area. Everything was nice, clean and pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2013